Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

Cant wait for these 4 to be gone tommarrow..

Coming from a Hawkeye lover.

Ruth and Taylor- not cause i dont like them. In fact i love watching those 2 studs. Just sick of getting thrashed by them for the past 4 years. Much respect

Perry and Nelson- These 2 stallchamps with 0 offensive talent, boring snoozefest so called "wrestlers" can ride each other into the sunset as far as im concerned. Be gone with them already!

I said Ruth has a future in freestyle. Give him time to adjust to a style that he hardly has any background in and he will have a shot at making World/Olympic teams.

Perry and Nelson aren't going anywhere on the senior level. With the new rules they will be on the shot clock constantly, and they can't or won't shoot. The bread and butter parallel ride won't work too well for them in freestyle.

I said Ruth has a future in freestyle. Give him time to adjust to a style that he hardly has any background in and he will have a shot at making World/Olympic teams.

Perry and Nelson aren't going anywhere on the senior level. With the new rules they will be on the shot clock constantly, and they can't or won't shoot. The bread and butter parallel ride won't work too well for them in freestyle.

Wasn't Perry a Junior World's bronze medalist in freestyle? He can't be that bad in Freestyle.

Perry did win two bronze melds this summer on the senior level at international tournaments overseas. Maybe it's the weight cut that makes him less offensive in folk style, but he clearly has a future at the senior level. He medaled in events our world team rep did not.

Perry sure does score more points than his opponent a lot for a guy with no offense. And it's not like he hasn't scored in this tournament.

But somehow him flattening out Evans and working him over with a leg ride is worse than 329 other guys dropping to the ankle on top. I am guessing that if he wasn't so effective with it nobody would mind.

Perry sure does score more points than his opponent a lot for a guy with no offense. And it's not like he hasn't scored in this tournament.

But somehow him flattening out Evans and working him over with a leg ride is worse than 329 other guys dropping to the ankle on top. I am guessing that if he wasn't so effective with it nobody would mind.

College wrestling has become a chess match of what you can do to neutralize an opponents ability to score points. Take Delgado for example. As soon as someone gets to one of his legs he is looking for a scramble situation for two reason, the first is he is likely to score because he is VERY effective in those situations. Second he is likely to create a stalemate if he does not score. So it is a win-win for him. What people get pissed about is when someone gets in so deep or has such a great shot that the have the takedown dead to rights and he finds a way out of it. The reality is the stalemate created in no different than a great sprawl, it ends in the same way usually, no points or a takedown for the wrestler countering the shot. If you cannot score, why wouldn't you want the stalemate, anyone in their right mind would. Wrestling is continually evolving and when the old school train of thought like singles, doubles, half-nelsons and escapes are the only thing you are willing to accept as solid wrestling your kids are going to get beat when it comes to high level competition.

Guys like Dylan Ness who can pin you when you are in great position to score are a traditional wrestlers nightmare. You have to be willing to adapt and evolve. While many think the way to look at solving the puzzle to the elevator that Ness uses is to figure out how to defend against it. My opinion would be, why don't more wrestlers learn and use the move. It's obviously effective when everyone knows it's coming and nobody cane stop it. After his few early season losses I am sure he worked diligently to make sure he could hit that from anywhere, spending hours and hours in situations. He referred to it as "MAGIC."

Just my $.02

I agree with VQlSWAIN- I can't stand watching Delgado, Perry and Nelson. I also don't like Howe much. The think that kills me is that these guys know how to wrestle, they do know how to score but the choose not to. Kind of like Russell except Russell is way more skilled but enjoyed a good OT win.

The other point is that these wrestlers will continue with these boring stall matches as long as the officials allow it to continue. If the officials start to recognize their tactics as stalling then they will change their style and adapt.

Officials please call stalling. As a great wrestler and coach once said "you're killing the sport"

Several of the wrestlers mentioned deserve the attention they are receiving for their style, but the refs are the ones who allow it to happen. I'm so glad they fixed the international styles now it's the NCAA's turn. What a difference it make when you call stalling and fleeing. It's amazing what a wrestler can do when he has to.

Wrestling is continually evolving and when the old school train of thought like singles, doubles, half-nelsons and escapes are the only thing you are willing to accept as solid wrestling your kids are going to get beat when it comes to high level competition.

Agree.

You have to be willing to adapt and evolve.

"Be water, my friend."

-Bruce Lee (during interview, explaining need to adapt to different styles)

I can at least respect Perry for occasionally trying to turn guys on top. Guys who I would never let my boys watch ride: Delgado and Megaludis -- they can shoot 100 times, I don't care. If a referee is going to stalemate them to riding time every match ... then take me to Victoria's Secret instead next year ... yoga pants are on me, ladies. The world needs more yoga pants.

The other point is that these wrestlers will continue with these boring stall matches as long as the officials allow it to continue. If the officials start to recognize their tactics as stalling then they will change their style and adapt.

Officials please call stalling. As a great wrestler and coach once said "you're killing the sport"

I couldn't agree more with this. Nearly all of the guys mentioned in this thread have the ability to open up their offenses, both on their feet and on the mat. However, the officials (by not calling stalling as it is written in the rule book) allow them to take few risks. Since the goal is to win, the wrestlers have figured out what works and are simply using good tactics given the situation. If the officials called stalling across the board whenever either wrestler was not looking to score or to improve his position, everyone would attack more and take more chances. It's worth mentioning though, that even the top guys have difficulty finding an opening when their opponents just sit in tight stance and do nothing but block. Which is equally as guilty an offense of stalling.

I also wouldn't be opposed to a pushout rule. Although that wouldn't be needed if the officials called stalling as written in the rules. To make it easier for the officials, when it comes to playing the edge, they could add an edge zone like in freestyle. You go in it, you're warned verbally. If you don't make an attempt to get out of the zone, you get called for stalling.

I truly believe that guys like Perry and Heflin would love to open up more, it just doesn't pay to do so against other top guys unless they're both required to open up. Heflin is fun to watch when his opponents aren't spending the entire match blocking with their heads (e.g. avoiding a tie = stalling) to keep Heflin out of hooks.

Perry at least rides on top looking for turns - legs/boots to the power half. His lack of neutral attack (at times) is the more frustrating thing. Delgado's riding time accrual is much much worse than Perry's, because he's not looking to score, but instead just to leech and accrue time.