Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Steiber for OW

Alright, I'll say it. It's f'ed up that Ruth wins a THIRD title in dominating fashion, has the same or fewer losses than Taylor (3 for both?), ESPN decides 165 should be the grand finale, and well, Taylor is treated like the second coming. I'll never get that other than the same reason people don't give T.J. Williams the credit he deserves -- which is the best 2xer ever having lost only once in his career.

Alright, I'll say it. It's f'ed up that Ruth wins a THIRD title in dominating fashion, has the same or fewer losses than Taylor (3 for both?), ESPN decides 165 should be the grand finale, and well, Taylor is treated like the second coming. I'll never get that other than the same reason people don't give T.J. Williams the credit he deserves -- which is the best 2xer ever having lost only once in his career.

Agree with everything till you brought TJ into the argument. Ruth scores points and dominates is the best wrestler on PSU's team by FAR.

Pretty sure the order was partly dictated by the team match ups, and it worked pretty well. Imagine the tension had Ness won, or pinned Dieringer.

That would have forced Taylor to major Caldwell.

I'd say you have a point to some degree, but you can't ignore the fact that Taylor was the bigger recruit coming out of high school and has had more success on the senior circuit. It's pretty clear to me that he is the better of the two wrestlers at the moment. Two of his three losses were to Dake, who is probably the 2nd best collegiate wrestler ever and might be one of the top 5 74 kg wrestlers in the world right now...Also, the hype from these matches with Dake last year carries over more to the "casual fan," and he has become a very recognizable name.

As for why Taylor is the face of PSU wrestling and not Ruth, you also can't ignore the personal issues Ruth has faced: charged with assault of a police officer a couple years ago and then the DUI this year. With that said, plenty of people go through phases like this and make similar mistakes, but it's not exactly the image you want for the sport and program.

Both are great talents and have done more than most people realize for the sport of wrestling (It's a fact that we wouldn't have had the expanded coverage we saw this year without them), but there's a reason Taylor gets more attention, and it's not what you may have been implying.

1) Following the Kid Dynamite / Magic Man hype of last year which was basically unprecedented for the sport from an ESPN/national perspective, Taylor is certainly the bigger name to any TV audience. This wasn't a skill competition, it's a popularity and sex appeal thing.

2) The potential for team race drama fit much better with 165 being the last weight of the tournament. If Ness would have won, or better yet pinned, Taylor would have been in an immediate must-win or must-major scenario for the team race. That possibility alone is enough to make me think it was more than worth it to have 165 be the final weight.

165 was the grand finale because of the team race. If Nelson had won, the last three matches would all have had implications for the team race. TV people like drama.

Taylor and Ruth are the greatest wrestlers in Penn State history. It's a flat-footed tie. Ruth has three titles. Taylor is a four-time finalist. They both have three career loses. Taylor has more career pins and more career tech falls. Ruth has more career majors. Taylor score 99 team points at the NCAA tourney during his four years. Ruth scored 94.5.

As for TJ Williams being the greatest two-time champ ever ... please. Williams was a two-time finalist. Taylor was a four-time finalist. Williams scored 61.5 team points in his three NCAA tourneys (soph, jr and sr years). Taylor scored 80.5 team points in the tourney his soph, jr and sr years. Taylor is a two-time OW. Williams is a zero-time OW. Taylor is probably going to be a two-time Hodge winner. Williams didn't win any. Just to clarify, I don't think Taylor is the greatest two-timer ever, but I think his career was better than TJ's.

We get it. You hate the guy. At some point, though, you need to shut up and give credit where it's due.

LOL, I don't hate anybody that I can think of. I probably watch more tape of Taylor than any other person right now and think he was a great 2-timer. Ruth is still better and so was T.J. I know I am in the minority in thinking T.J. was the best 2xer, and that's okay. If somebody can tell me about an undefeated two-timer, I will change my opinion of T.J.