Sign in to follow this  
ex_scsu_huskie

Looking forward to next year

I've read a couple times on here how Sanderson had 2 recruiting classes... Don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? Yes, David Taylor came with him after commiting to Iowa State, but Taylor NEVER ENROLLED at ISU and was going to go wherever Sanderson went. He never would have signed with ISU without Cael.

Andrew Long transferred over to PSU from Iowa State saw ell, but it wasn't like the huge exodus that took places with Tom Brands and the Virginia Tech transfers...

So which guys during the past 5 years were really ISU recruits that ended up at PSU causing Cael's ability to win 4 NCAA titles?

I've read a couple times on here how Sanderson had 2 recruiting classes... Don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? Yes, David Taylor came with him after commuting to Iowa State, but Taylor NEVER ENROLLED at ISU and was going to go wherever Sanderson went.

Andrew Long transferred over to PSU from Iowa State saw ell, but it wasn't like the huge exodus that took places with Tom Brands and the Virginia Tech transfers...

So which guys during the past 5 years were really ISU recruits that ended up at PSU causing Cael's ability to win 4 NCAA titles?

Hey, he only needed one. D.T.

I've read a couple times on here how Sanderson had 2 recruiting classes... Don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? Yes, David Taylor came with him after commuting to Iowa State, but Taylor NEVER ENROLLED at ISU and was going to go wherever Sanderson went.

And DT was NEVER an ISU guy so saying Cael Had 2 recruiting classes is really just a case of sour grapes!

When Cael first got the job as PSU head coach in spring of 2009 there was a huge buzz of excitement in PA. I took my team to camp up in Happy Valley that summer and let me tell you the entire group of PSU wrestlers and staff members were incredibly excited about their new coach. You could just tell that the program was about to embark on an era of greatness!

And DT was NEVER an ISU guy so saying Cael Had 2 recruiting classes is really just a case of sour grapes!

When Cael first got the job as PSU head coach in spring of 2009 there was a huge buzz of excitement in PA. I took my team to camp up in Happy Valley that summer and let me tell you the entire group of PSU wrestlers and staff members were incredibly excited about their new coach. You could just tell that the program was about to embark on an era of greatness!

Cael told ISU that he would take future problem Andrew Long off of their hands, but he wanted DT also. ISU figured Taylor wouldn't be that good anyway, so they let him go.

First and Foremost...Congrats to all on The PSU "Train" 5X NCAA CHAMPIONS and yes the 6th will be even more special...Mr. Ruth and Mr. Taylor 4X NCAA "TEAM" Champions (5 Individual Championships...4 Undefeated Championships)...My hats off to Mr. English what a way to go out...I have to also give a shout out to the media coverage (ESPN, CBS and BTN/FOX) throughout the season... :D :D :D

P.S. I'll throw in a stick of "Big Red" while I put "4" logs on the fire and pass the JUG!!!

Want to see how good a coach Sanderson is now that the benefit of a double recruiting class will be gone.

You can want to see that.

I want to see that 4th straight banner unfurled in Rec Hall.

Pretty amazing he was able to get 4 with all of those ISU transfers that had to sit out a year after red-shirting for him there, right?

Oh, wait...

Caldwell at OSU, Howe and Rutt at OK. Wrestlers transfer all the time.

You referenced 2 "recruiting classes".

That's implying he brought an entire class of freshmen that he had recruited at Iowa State with him to Penn State.

And what of the wrestlers that left Penn State?

Jenkins, Kemerer, Sherlock, Campbell, Martelotti, Stinson, Ortega, etc.? Isn't that enough to fill a class that left?

Ask James English how good of a coach Sandeson is.

PSU is very unlikely to repeat as champions next year. I think everyone knows that.

Some people are suggesting redshirting guys who can burn redshirts. But a number of guys do not have redshirts to burn: Gulibon (FR), Alton (JR), Beitz (FR), Alton (JR), Brown (JR), McIntosh (SO), Lawson (JR), Gingrich (JR). Among this group only Gulibon, Beitz, and McIntosh will be available after next season. Further, it's uncertain whether Nolf, Nickal, and Nevills will be ready to compete right off the bat. Also, why didn't Chance hear our cries?

Only Cael knows what to do about this situation. Only Cael.

Caldwell at OSU, Howe and Rutt at OK. Wrestlers transfer all the time.

You referenced 2 "recruiting classes".

That's implying he brought an entire class of freshmen that he had recruited at Iowa State with him to Penn State.

And what of the wrestlers that left Penn State?

Jenkins, Kemerer, Sherlock, Campbell, Martelotti, Stinson, Ortega, etc.? Isn't that enough to fill a class that left?

Ask James English how good of a coach Sandeson is.

Yes, an underrated aspect of Cael's coaching is how good he is at coaching and developing his lesser-touted wrestlers. Recruit, retain, develop...if you can't do those things, you probably are going to have a hard time winning national titles.

So it didn't even take a day for an ignorant topic. Some people need to let go of their PSU hate and relax, it's just a sport.

The excuses are many, and just pathetic. The iowa board is hilarious. Blaming Zain because Lazor med forfeited out. Or because the Dardanes did not perform.

Retherford had a crazy road if he was to make the finals compared to most other 3 seeds who had 1 loss.

Ruth had to beat Dean in the semi's.

English just got the starting job before Big 10's, and did not live for 2 weeks right up til NCAA's.

Gulibon got hosed by not being seeded.

Alton could have done better, and he had Murphy in his first match.

I could go on and on with BS like this, but it's just excuses. Flo and many posters were even saying PSU got screwed by the seedings beforehand. Now they win, and here comes more lame excuses. PSU won fair and square, every team catches a break here and there. At the end of the day they scored the most team points.

Now next year if Ohio State does not win NCAA's, coach Ryan should be fired on the spot.

So it didn't even take a day for an ignorant topic. Some people need to let go of their PSU hate and relax, it's just a sport.

The excuses are many, and just pathetic. The iowa board is hilarious. Blaming Zain because Lazor med forfeited out. Or because the Dardanes did not perform.

Retherford had a crazy road if he was to make the finals compared to most other 3 seeds who had 1 loss.

Ruth had to beat Dean in the semi's.

English just got the starting job before Big 10's, and did not live for 2 weeks right up til NCAA's.

Gulibon got hosed by not being seeded.

Alton could have done better, and he had Murphy in his first match.

I could go on and on with BS like this, but it's just excuses. Flo and many posters were even saying PSU got screwed by the seedings beforehand. Now they win, and here comes more lame excuses. PSU won fair and square, every team catches a break here and there. At the end of the day they scored the most team points.

Now next year if Ohio State does not win NCAA's, coach Ryan should be fired on the spot.

You cannot possibly be serious about that last one.

125- Tomasella

133-Dijulious

141- Stieber

149- Stieber

157-M Jordan

165-Bo Jordan

174-?

184-Courts

197-Snyder

HVY- Haines(I think)

Obviously I am no expert with Ohio State, but honestly I just think with their line up they are going to be very hard to beat.

125- Tomasella

133-Dijulious

141- Stieber

149- Stieber

157-M Jordan

165-Bo Jordan

174-?

184-Courts

197-Snyder

HVY- Haines(I think)

Obviously I am no expert with Ohio State, but honestly I just think with their line up they are going to be very hard to beat.

As opposed to...

125: Gilman

133: Clark

141: Dziewa

149: Sorensen

157: Grothus

165: Moore (at a cleared-out weight)

174: Evans

184: Brooks

197: Burak

285: Telford

BTW, I suspect that Ohio State will go with Roberts-DiJulius-Stieber-Stieber from 133-157, or DiJulius-Stieber-Stieber-Demas. Haven't re-run all of my metrics yet (probably won't until I get home, or at the very least in the air), but I suspect Iowa will be VERY tough to beat barring a collapse.

PSU Freshmen on the roster:

08-09: 8 FR

09-10: 13 FR

10-11: 21 FR

11-12: 17 FR

12-13: 14 FR

13-14: 10 FR

Amazing how the number of Freshmen recruits went from 8 the year before he arrives up to 21 just after going from Iowa State to Penn State and then from 21 back down to 10 this year.

125- Tomasella

133-Dijulious

141- Stieber

149- Stieber

157-M Jordan

165-Bo Jordan

174-?

184-Courts

197-Snyder

HVY- Haines(I think)

As opposed to...

125: Gilman

133: Clark

141: Dziewa

149: Sorensen

157: Grothus

165: Moore (at a cleared-out weight)

174: Evans

184: Brooks

197: Burak

285: Telford

BTW, I suspect that Ohio State will go with Roberts-DiJulius-Stieber-Stieber from 133-157, or DiJulius-Stieber-Stieber-Demas. Haven't re-run all of my metrics yet (probably won't until I get home, or at the very least in the air), but I suspect Iowa will be VERY tough to beat barring a collapse.

I see a lot of toss up matches at first glance. Without running my guesses either it looks like Iowa will definitely be tough also. I just expect big things in Bo Jordan and Snyder right away, I do not see many beating them. And Logan is an almost lock to go undefeated and win again. Hunter should be top 3. Courts is very talented but just does not seem to be the most motivated guy. Micah is a 4 timer who should take over for Paddock. Oh I just re-read your post, oh so you think they all bump up. That is a possibility. Logan just looks real good at 141, i would keep him there personally. But we will see.

125-Tomasello

133-DiJulius

141-L Stieber

149-H Stieber

157-Demas

165-B Jordan

174-?

184-Courts

197-Snyder

285-Haines

It should be a very good lineup, Micah will redshirt however. Should compete for a title with 3-4 others (don't sleep on Okie St)

I've read a couple times on here how Sanderson had 2 recruiting classes... Don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? Yes, David Taylor came with him after commiting to Iowa State, but Taylor NEVER ENROLLED at ISU and was going to go wherever Sanderson went. He never would have signed with ISU without Cael.

The question must be ask: What would have happened if Iowa State had not released the wrestlers to follow Sanderson to Penn State? You would never find a D1 football or basketball program releasing athletes to follow the coach that signed them to an athletic scholarship. I seriously doubt that you will find D1 wrestling programs releasing athletes in the future.