Sign in to follow this  
steamboat_charlie

Cox vs. Heflin

Disclaimer: Hopefully by now you've seen the match. I'm not making this thread to complain or try to convince anyone of anything, just wanted to see what everyone thought about the match and how it turned out.

I feel like the ref's gave Cox the match and robbed Heflin by doing so. In the first period, Cox was the aggressor and took every chance, and got a stalling call out of it. I'm good with that. In the second and third periods, I can only remember maybe 1 attempt for each guy before the second stalling call was given with ~30 seconds left. The stall call was given on the back of Cox forcing Heflin to the edge and Heflin circling back to the middle (maybe separating too much a la Delgado circling to the middle) and the hit him. The end of the match is what it is, time ran out.

I'm a huge OSU fan so obviously my opinion is biased, just wanted to see what you all thought. Cox took more chances so maybe he deserved it, but it doesn't feel like he won to me. To me, if you're going to insert yourself in an NCAA title match and give a stalling point for the win, you should at least do it around the 1 minute mark of the third period, because nothing different was happening at 30 seconds than at 1 minute, which would have given Heflin more time to 'earn the win'. The people sitting in my section seemed to disagree with the stall call as well but it could have just been due to my yelling. I'm probably just bitter.

My brother and I cheered when this happened because a ref finally had the guts to call stalling when needed to. Heflin did nothing. And guess what, when it was called he actually started wrestling. I hope other refs take notice, calling stalling when you should may actually cause wrestlers to wrestle.

Sorry man but I hate his style and he fully deserved it. I had 4 guys at my house watching and loved the fact he got hit with stalling, Cox deserved that win and he took it to Heflin the whole match.

You fully know Nick wanted to take it to OT and then ride outs. But once he got hit with that point all the sudden Heflin wants to wrestle.

Sorry man but I hate his style and he fully deserved it. I had 4 guys at my house watching and loved the fact he got hit with stalling, Cox deserved that win and he took it to Heflin the whole match.

You fully know Nick wanted to take it to OT and then ride outs. But once he got hit with that point all the sudden Heflin wants to wrestle.

Loved the stall call at 174 to get that match going. Maybe this one could have come sooner, but still a good call.

As a huge wrestling fan and an OSU senior, I've watched a lot of Heflins matches and I have always hated his style. Ive said the past 2 years that if somebody is aggresive and wrestles Heflin that way instead of his slow style they can beat him. Thats exactlt what Cox did today and he deserves that win. Heflin has showed in the past few weeks that he can score points early in a match but be chose to wrestle his slow style in the finals which lost him the match. He has the ability to score whenever but if you don't want to be offensive for 6 and a half minutes you deserve to lose in my opinion, and that's exactly what Heflin did.

The ref didn't decide the match. Heflin did when he decided not to make any offensive attempts. Not making calls like that has resulted in the stall and get to the tie breaker styles we've been seeing. Loved the call and the refs need to keep stepping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a great example of a ref doing his job correctly. He didn't wait to give the token stall with 15 seconds left and didn't get overzealous with 3 or 4 calls. Heflin absolutely deserved both calls. Maybe he wins if he attempts an offensive move before the last 10 seconds

Disclaimer: Hopefully by now you've seen the match. I'm not making this thread to complain or try to convince anyone of anything, just wanted to see what everyone thought about the match and how it turned out.

I feel like the ref's gave Cox the match and robbed Heflin by doing so. In the first period, Cox was the aggressor and took every chance, and got a stalling call out of it. I'm good with that. In the second and third periods, I can only remember maybe 1 attempt for each guy before the second stalling call was given with ~30 seconds left. The stall call was given on the back of Cox forcing Heflin to the edge and Heflin circling back to the middle (maybe separating too much a la Delgado circling to the middle) and the hit him. The end of the match is what it is, time ran out.

I'm a huge OSU fan so obviously my opinion is biased, just wanted to see what you all thought. Cox took more chances so maybe he deserved it, but it doesn't feel like he won to me. To me, if you're going to insert yourself in an NCAA title match and give a stalling point for the win, you should at least do it around the 1 minute mark of the third period, because nothing different was happening at 30 seconds than at 1 minute, which would have given Heflin more time to 'earn the win'. The people sitting in my section seemed to disagree with the stall call as well but it could have just been due to my yelling. I'm probably just bitter.

I loathe ohio state more than anyone, but that was a bull **** call; when the ref called

It they were both jostling for upper body control, circling, not backing up. The refs called nothing

In far more boring matches, they should let them wrestle. Did they call cox when he was running away at the end? Sick and tired of the inconsistency in calling stalling

I loathe ohio state more than anyone, but that was a bull **** call; when the ref called

It they were both jostling for upper body control, circling, not backing up. The refs called nothing

In far more boring matches, they should let them wrestle. Did they call cox when he was running away at the end? Sick and tired of the inconsistency in calling stalling

Heflin got called after Cox literally chased him halfway around the mat. It was a good call. A call that should be made much more often. Not calling stalling would have been the bad call in that situation. Stalling was actually called appropriately last night. Hopefully that becomes the new standard next season.

Exactly. I don't think anyone would argue that Heflin wasn't looking for much offense.....but neither was Cox. Especially not at the time the 2nd stalling was called. It was a typical 197 match. You should never get a point for being a good actor.

Heflin got called after Cox literally chased him halfway around the mat. It was a good call. A call that should be made much more often. Not calling stalling would have been the bad call in that situation. Stalling was actually called appropriately last night. Hopefully that becomes the new standard next season.

Then call it that way the entire match, not starting with 30 seconds left.

the refs let others get away with far more at 133, 149, 174, etc. don't get me wrong, I agree

With more called stalling, but do it the whole match. The 133 3rd place match with

Schopp was brutal that way

I was a neutral fan, meaning I didn't go into it wanting either guy to win. I thought the call was BS, because at the point in the match that it was called, it basically gave Cox the win. Heflin was not the most active, but Cox also was really just attempting to run him to the edge, (as a strategy) rather than take any real shots.

The score for this match was Zebra 1, cox 0 Heflin 0, and that is not what I like to see.

Sorry, but the stall call was correct. Yes, stalling is called inconsistently, but was called appropriately (in my eyes) in that match. Calling it that way needs to become the standard, not the exception.

Heflin is absolutely brutal to watch and Cox was clearly the aggressor early in the match, and he did enough late to warrant the 2nd call.

I was disturbed that half-way through the Big Tens, Heflin abandoned an aggressive style that he demonstrated after his only loss. He went back to a) if a body lock/double-unders presented itself he would go for it; b) otherwise he would strictly counter. It was disconcerting to see.

The ref was involved because Heflin allowed it. He lived by the sword and...........etc.

Sorry, but the stall call was correct. Yes, stalling is called inconsistently, but was called appropriately (in my eyes) in that match. Calling it that way needs to become the standard, not the exception.

Heflin is absolutely brutal to watch and Cox was clearly the aggressor early in the match, and he did enough late to warrant the 2nd call.

+1

I wanted Heflin to win but he brought this on himself. The great penetration and body lock didn't just magically appear in the last ten seconds. Heflin made that happen and should have initiated it earlier in the match. He obviously ran away from Cox most of the match--should have believed in his own ability to score rather than just looking to counter.

"...which would have given Heflin more time to 'earn the win'..."

Heflin had plenty of time to earn the win...just as much as Cox in fact. Heflin is talented to be sure but has made a career out of doing just enough counter wrestling to get a win. Last night it finally caught up with him.

If more officials called stalling the way JR did, college wrestling would be more enjoyable to watch. I was, however, surprised when he called it because I feel that many of the top college officials are way too hesitant to call stalling.

If more officials called stalling the way JR did, college wrestling would be more enjoyable to watch. I was, however, surprised when he called it because I feel that many of the top college officials are way too hesitant to call stalling.