Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Vak's Finals Review

I'll do them in broadcast order:

174: Perry should have lost in the semifinals. He was pinned by Mike Evans on more than one occasion. I saw it and you saw it. However, that matters little in the context of this match. Perry just beat Howe flat out. OUtwrestled him. Sure, he was stalling a bit and probably earned his warnings, but no more than he got. He was just better than Andrew HOwe tonight, hard as it is for me to believe. Congrats to Perry on his match tonight, even if I don't feel he should have been there to begin with.

184: Ruth seemed to be playing with his food to me a bit here, and I thought it could end up costing Penn State. He was just better than Sheptock but he kept riding him in the second with a massive amount of RT already banked, and he never got up the major decision level he could have, IMO. That said, the finals of this weight happened in the semis and Ed was the best wrestler at the weight.

197: Weird match. Can't believe they called stalling in that situation given the way they've called it all year. That said, the more exciting wrestler won, so that's nice. Cox slowed down significantly by the end of the match and HEflin did Heflin things.

HWT: I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!!! I loathe watching Tony Nelson wrestle. I just do. So part of me wanted him to lose, so I was happy the more dynamic, exciting wrestler in Gwiazdowski won. However, I also wanted Penn State to lose, and this all but sealed the deal.

125: Intriguing chess match. Garrett seemed to show little regard to strategy and just figured "if I keep doing this, eventually I'll get him" and Delgado basically said "if you keep doing that, I'll keep defending it the same way" and he did. It feels almost like Delgado has found a loophole in the system sometime, but he outstrategized and outexecuted the Cornell wrestler.

133: RAINBOWS! Edge of my seat the whole match, but Graff seemed out of it from jump. He never really threatened Ramos and it almost felt like Graff kept waiting for the other shoe to drop ON him while Ramos kept waiting for the shoe to drop FOR him, if you will. Incredible (and brave) move by Ramos to finally win his title.

141: Not much to say. Carter was a fantastic story, but he was out of his depth here. Stieber finally gets a non-controversial title. It will be interesting to see if Port or Retherford (or even Carter if he's fully healthy) can stop him from getting four.

149: I was in and out of this match, but congrats to Tsirtsis. Another frosh champ!

157: Weird match. Ness looked like he collapsed under the pressure of trying to win the title while Dieringer intelligently picked apart all of Ness' mistakes. Dieringer took him to the woodshed.

165: Magic Man finishes it off. It felt weird for him not to get bonus in his last match, but Caldwell is obviously a game opponent. Congrats to the Unicorn on a great career.

Vak, is your problem with the Perry match only about the neutral fall you think was missed? I think it could have been called and Perry would have had only himself to blame (I think we should force guys on their back to improve or bail out, not just hang on an ankle with no consequences). With that said, I must have seen a dozen guys get stacked up in neutral without that call during the weekend. Rarely will that neutral fall be called.

I notice that when it was not "your" guy at 125 that lost, you reasonably reach the conclusion that Delgado may be gaming the system, but he is also out strategizing and out executing Garrett. I don't think I could think of a better description of Perry's 2013 NCAA tournament, or his semi vs Evans this year. As a fan I honestly felt a little dirty watching him seemingly use a loophole (or two, or three) to out-strategize and beat guys without out-wrestling them.

But Perry has nothing to apologize for. In addition to being a great strategic wrestler, he was a point scorer all year this year. Way more offense, clear cut wins over Storley and Brown during the season. Decisive wins in the first 3 rounds of the tournament. And then he clearly beats Howe in every position tonight. He had to gut one out against Evans but I think that was more about Evans wrestling a great match than about Perry. I just think you have a huge blind spot on this one and are fixated on a possible neutral fall because it is tough to watch your guy out wrestle his opponent and lose.

who made you the authority

Where did I claim some sort of authority?

with all your posts...it seems that your thoughts/comments (to you) may be valid

Wow, sorry, but you're an a-hole. Nothing wrong with what he posted.

@Vak

I got to agree about Nelson. That guy took shots about once in a blue moon when in neutral, and always used that spiral ride with no attempt whatsoever to work for back points. None whatsoever. I still don't know how he didn't give up 2 or 3 stall points a match. People bitch about Perry, but at least Perry is cranking the neck so it at least looks like he's trying to work for something. Nice to see an active heavyweight take Nelson down. For what it matters I heard an interview with Nelson and he seems like a good kid.

All the comments about "shaved bears" (denigrating heavyweights) need to stop after that Ramos/Graff match. Awful stuff. Anything with Kendrick Maple was very painful this year as well. Plus lots of other stallers. Face it...it's not just the heavies stalling all the time.

The rules need to change about takedowns. Garrett took down Delgado 3 or 4 times, but as soon as he would blast him Delgado would grab a leg from underneath. That's bogus. Those need to be ruled takedowns. Back when I was wrestling that wouldn't have saved a guy from giving up 2 points, what gives?

Too bad Heflin stalled so much in his match. That throw in the waning seconds would've saved his bacon if he'd gotten it off a couple seconds earlier. J'Den is impressive. I loved how aggressive he was, at least until his gas tank got low and he stopped taking shots.

I watched that Perry/Evans match also. I think it couldve been ruled either way, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the shoulders supposed to be on the mat for a full count for it to be a fall? It looked to me like Perry's shoulders were on the mat a few times but not for the full count. Anyway Evans loss rests strictly on Brand's shoulders. Picking down against Perry was idiotic. If Howe couldn't get out what made those guys think Evans would?

I saw 133 as Graf put himself in position to win and made a mental error. In Barry's interview during the match he said one of the keys was simply standing up. And he showed demonstrated he could do that earlier in the match. Ramos got a gift there IMO.

I just watched the semi highlights, I didn't realize that Evans had Perry pinned. What a crappy non call. That miss was pitiful because Perry was flat for a long time and what is worse is that the official seemed to be in position. Terrible

I saw 133 as Graf put himself in position to win and made a mental error. In Barry's interview during the match he said one of the keys was simply standing up. And he showed demonstrated he could do that earlier in the match. Ramos got a gift there IMO.

^ This. Graf had already ridden out Ramos in the first 30 second TB and just needed an escape to win. He stands up immediately on the whistle and Ramos drops to the ankle. Then, Graf tries an ill-advised funk move, going to his own back.

Credit to Ramos for capitalizing on Graf's mistake, but I think Vak must have watched that bout through his black and gold glasses. As Tim Johnson said at the time, "He did what Barry Davis didn't want him to do."

@Vak

I got to agree about Nelson. That guy took shots about once in a blue moon when in neutral, and always used anot just the heavies stalling all the time.

The rules need to change about takedowns. Garrett took down Delgado 3 or 4 times, but as soon as he would blast him Delgado would grab a leg from underneath. That's bogus. Those need to be ruled takedowns. Back when I was wrestling that wouldn't have saved a guy from giving up 2 points, what gives?

Too bad Heflin stalled so much in his match. That throw in the waning seconds would've saved his bacon if he'd gotten it off a couple seconds earlier. J'Den is impressive. I loved how aggressive he was, at least until his gas tank got low and he stopped taking shots.

I watched that Perry/Evans match also. I think it couldve been ruled either way, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the shoulders supposed to be on the mat for a full count for it to be a fall? It looked to me like Perry's shoulders were on the mat a few times but not for the full count. Anyway Evans loss rests strictly on Brand's shoulders. Picking down against Perry was idiotic. If Howe couldn't get out what made those guys think Evans would?

1. Perry was clearly stuck - funny you want new Delgado rules,

But you have no problem with the refs not calling the rules

about being stuck in a neutral position that Evans clearly initiated

and was maintaining.

2. In what world did Garrett have s takedown on any of those attempts.

He had not established control. We may not like that he got out funked,

but Garret knew it was coming , he had other options.

^ This. Graf had already ridden out Ramos in the first 30 second TB and just needed an escape to win. He stands up immediately on the whistle and Ramos drops to the ankle. Then, Graf tries an ill-advised funk move, going to his own back.

Credit to Ramos for capitalizing on Graf's mistake, but I think Vak must have watched that bout through his black and gold glasses. As Tim Johnson said at the time, "He did what Barry Davis didn't want him to do."

Yes, the irony is that although his wrestler lost, Barry Davis came across as an astute coach.

excellent review Vak. I'll add my own.

overall, the finals weren't as good as last year's epic ones (but then how could they be) and I was re-reminded that I despise riding time. That said, still fun to watch.

174- move of the night was that incredible flying hi-c from Perry. So he can take down Howe, take down international level wrestlers in freestyle, and he still choses to win all those matches on riding time? Good luck in freestyle Chris, where you'll be forced to score.

184- Typical Ruth. From a team points standpoint, he probably spent too much time riding and not enough time playing takedowns, though he probably was trying to pin. Sheptock- gotta try something.

197- awful match, glad I missed most of it. Glad Heflin got nailed for backing straight out of bounds. I thought that throw might have been in time at the end but I seem to be the only one.

Hvy: loved this match. Two huge late takedowns to win it. I guess Gwaz is a surprise winner, but he also took down Nelson repeatedly during summer freestyle so not THAT suprising. Glad offense won over riding.

125: