Sign in to follow this  
potdangerous

The James English Story

He is the exact reason why you shouldnt listen to people when they tell you "its time to hang it up." People who want to blame genetics as a reason to quit should really take a look at this guy and re-evaluate their belief system. It takes some guys longer to get ove the hump than others, but most will just quit before hand and chalk it up to something different. Its very motivational when a dude like this tells his detractors to stuff it, takes accountibility in himself cost be damned, and goes out and places at NCAA's.

Olddirty, interesting comment. English's points did help the team secure the title, and that was a good thing. But in fairness, you could look at this from another angle. English made it very clear that his goal was to win an NCAA title, and of course he failed to achieve that goal. If his detractors were saying that he couldn't win an ncaa title, they would be correct.

I don't take anything away from this kid at all, but I'm not sure what the story is here. Yes, he helped PSU, but he failed to reach his own goals. He was crushed after he lost in the championship bracket. Then he lost again after that. He achieved what some consider to be a great accomplishment, AA honors at the NCAA Division 1 tournament, but that wasn't what he came to the tournament to do. This isn't very motivational to me. I find a story like Cael's quest to win 4 ncaa titles and Olympic gold to be more motivational. Just my opinion.

Superold I have to disagree. James English did win a national title.....he also finished as an individual all-American when most people counted him out. He may not have won the INDVIDUAL NCAA title, but without his INDIVIDUAL effort Penn State does not win the NCAA TEAM title. While many would say the team title is not as prestigious as an individual title, he knows first hand that without him...they would not have won. You can say what you want, but it is pretty inspiring. To be a backup to Alton and Beitz and see limited mat time, most wrote him off, Cael included. He however, didn't give up when he easily could have. This story isn't just about wrestling, it's about life. To me and most of the wrestling world, that is motivational. In the end the James English story wasn't written to be a comparison of where it ranks among the all-time great motivational stories. It was told because the stories of underdogs and beating the odds are real. More people should appreciate them, not point out their flaws.

James English, as Cael would say, "you're the man."

He is the exact reason why you shouldnt listen to people when they tell you "its time to hang it up." People who want to blame genetics as a reason to quit should really take a look at this guy and re-evaluate their belief system. It takes some guys longer to get ove the hump than others, but most will just quit before hand and chalk it up to something different. Its very motivational when a dude like this tells his detractors to stuff it, takes accountibility in himself cost be damned, and goes out and places at NCAA's.

Olddirty, interesting comment. English's points did help the team secure the title, and that was a good thing. But in fairness, you could look at this from another angle. English made it very clear that his goal was to win an NCAA title, and of course he failed to achieve that goal. If his detractors were saying that he couldn't win an ncaa title, they would be correct.

I don't take anything away from this kid at all, but I'm not sure what the story is here. Yes, he helped PSU, but he failed to reach his own goals. He was crushed after he lost in the championship bracket. Then he lost again after that. He achieved what some consider to be a great accomplishment, AA honors at the NCAA Division 1 tournament, but that wasn't what he came to the tournament to do. This isn't very motivational to me. I find a story like Cael's quest to win 4 ncaa titles and Olympic gold to be more motivational. Just my opinion.

Superold I have to disagree. James English did win a national title.....he also finished as an individual all-American when most people counted him out. He may not have won the INDVIDUAL NCAA title, but without his INDIVIDUAL effort Penn State does not win the NCAA TEAM title. While many would say the team title is not as prestigious as an individual title, he knows first hand that without him...they would not have won. You can say what you want, but it is pretty inspiring. To be a backup to Alton and Beitz and see limited mat time, most wrote him off, Cael included. He however, didn't give up when he easily could have. This story isn't just about wrestling, it's about life. To me and most of the wrestling world, that is motivational. In the end the James English story wasn't written to be a comparison of where it ranks among the all-time great motivational stories. It was told because the stories of underdogs and beating the odds are real. More people should appreciate them, not point out their flaws.

James English, as Cael would say, "you're the man."

I would think someone logging on as "superold" would have more respect for what James has done. I spent the first 2/3s of my life destroying my body. 25 years catching, 30 years moving furniture and 10 years running sled dogs. I don't have a sound joint in my body (hip replacement and hip and knee due to be replaced), two back surgeries, shoulder surgery and on and on).

What English has done with the health issues he has been dealt is truly amazing and I feel sorry for anyone who can't see that. As Cael said....he will be dealing with the effects of those injuries the rest of his life and to think he could not even wrestle live is even more astounding that he could do what he did!

I get goosebumps every time I think about it.