Sign in to follow this  
wessegar

Ohio State Buckeyes 2015 National Champ Favorites?

Bojo is not beating Dierenger next year. And whoever asked about Marstellar.. I think Marstellar could win a 1 pd match but that's about it. Marstellar seems to have issues late in matches (during a 6 min high school match). Bo mopped Cody W. That was impressive.

BoJo is not beating Dieringer? Didn't we just have a season where two of the all time greats, Ruth and Stieber, lost to true frosh? Much respect for Dieringer but I think we should let this one play out.

If you're going to bring up Ruth and Stieber in particular, it's worth noting that both avenged their losses to the freshman that beat them. Of course it's possible Bo beats him, but like Dean and Retherford, he would be a pretty overwhelming underdog out of the gates.

As a fan of Ohio wrestling, it seems inevitable that BoJo will be as dominate for 4 years of college as the last 2 Ohio high schoolers at his level, Taylor and Stieber. . . until I remember the Schlatter brother before them.

The only thing stopping Bo Jordan is injury, because now that Taylor and Caldwell are gone, there isn't a 165 that can touch him.

Dierenger is going 165 and is a stud in his own right. I also wonder if James Green may bump, although it seems he is a small 157? If he went up, he would blast Bo.

Green and Stieber will battle next year for the OW in my opinion.

Green made 145lbs or something similar over the summer in a freestyle tourney so I do not see Green going 165lbs.

tOSU will have traditional powerhouses- PSU, OSU, Iowa, Minnesota, and Cornell to battle for team title. No question about it. They all can reload with great wrestlers.

So, I hope that they will have a terrific squad to compete for the national title. They have to do it this upcoming season because it is last season for Logan Stieber. They have to take advantage of it while they can.

Possible squad for this upcoming season:

125- Nathan T./ Nick Roberts AA

133- Johnni DiJulius/ Nick Roberts AA

141- Logan Stieber NC

149- Hunter Stieber High AA to NC

157- Joshua Demas/ Micah Jordan AA

165- Bo Jordan AA to NC

174- Mark Martin NQ to AA

184- Kenny Courts AA

197- Kyle Snyder AA to NC

HWT- Nick Tavanallo/ Thomas Haines R12 to AA

So, I see possible 10 AA along with possible 3 NC. Minnesota did win the team title years ago with 10 AA and no Individual NC.

To win the team title, there should be no redshirting to allow the upperclassmen to wrestle. They have to wrestle off 125, 133, 157, and HWT to determine the true starter and start them no matter what.

I don't think the OSU would have that opportunity like that again in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a fan of Ohio wrestling, it seems inevitable that BoJo will be as dominate for 4 years of college as the last 2 Ohio high schoolers at his level, Taylor and Stieber. . . until I remember the Schlatter brother before them.

You also need to consider the fathers of the wrestlers mentioned.

I'm an Ohio State fan, and I have high hopes.

To disagree with some I believe the winner of the Demas/Jordan battle will be an AA.

But, it is easy to temper my high hopes with a bit of realism when I look at what happened to Oklahoma this year. Patterson, Brewer, Maple, Howe, Rutt, and what happened there? Or with the Bucks own past problems C. Palmer, T. Jameson, D. Garcia, A. Campolatanno, C. Tessari, etc.

I will believe in Tom Ryan onces he proves it. I'm a fan, but still question if he can get it done.

A lot will have to go as expected and if anything goes wrong that creates a hole in the lineup. . .

Josefmoe: This year may represent the best job Ryan has done as coach: Two wrestlers in the national finals, third at National Duals, 3rd in Vegas and 4th at Big Tens---all while 3 studs redshirted and one was hurt. It wasn't a flawless season but it was the first one where I saw some overachievement out of non-stars like Roberts, Tavanello, Languis and DiJulius. That's what you want out of your coaching staff.

I love the incoming recruiting class--Snyder, M.Jordan, Haines, Ryan--plus Harris, Adkins, Williams, Burcher and Newton. Lots of upfront strength plus lots of potential.

125 - Tomasello was 19-0 as a RS this year winning King Point Open, Michigan State Open, Greyhound Open, and Edinboro Open. He had 3 pins, 3 TFs, 9 MDs, and 4 regular decisions. His closest match was a win by 4 pts (11-7)

133 - DiJulius (potential AA)

141 - L. Steiber (4X National Champ)

149 - H. Steiber (AA potential National Champ)

157 - M. Jordan (4 X Ohio State HS Champion) 193-9 (AA)

165 - B. Jordan was 23-0 as a RS this year winning Knight Point Open, Michigan State Open, Storm Open, Purple Raider, and Edinboro Open. He had 10 Pins, 5 TFs, 5 MDs, and 3 regular decisions. His closet match was by 6 pts. (AA and potential National Champ)

174 - M. Martin

184 - K. Courts (potential AA)

197 - K. Snyder (#1 HS recruit) 179-0 as a HS wrestler, 3 X State Champ, Junior World Champ, has beaten Cox (AA and potential National Champ)

Hwt - T. Haines (4 X PA Champ) 131-2 (AA) or N. Travello (AA)

I think Bo and Nathan have both "gotten their feet wet" during this RS season. They absolutely dominated. These two will score some major bonus points for tOSU. @ weidsworld. Bo comes from Graham HS where David Taylor, Dustin Schlatter, Kyle Ott, Nick Brascetta, Zach Niebert and countless other AA's have transferred to wrestle for his HS career. Chance Marsteller even attended Jeff's Summer Camp in 2012; so the talent of the coach is undeniable. His style of wrestling will be similar to David's; attack, pin, TFs etc. Its hard not to "crown" him the next big thing because he has proven it time and time again and he had 16 years of elite coaching even before he hit tOSU.

Only the NCAA Championships will determine if these young men can have a great run. I think there is excitement in OH and a lot of optimism. It should be a good year for tOSU, but nothing is guaranteed;they all have to earn it on the mat!

King: you make some fair points but this one is non-sensical:

"197 Snyder Cody Gardner or J'Den Cox. Who knows?"

Anyone who follows wrestling knows there is a huge difference between Snyder and Gardner, like drive and Heart.

tOSU will have traditional powerhouses- PSU, OSU, Iowa, Minnesota, and Cornell to battle for team title. No question about it. They all can reload with great wrestlers.

So, I hope that they will have a terrific squad to compete for the national title. They have to do it this upcoming season because it is last season for Logan Stieber. They have to take advantage of it while they can.

Possible squad for this upcoming season:

125- Nathan T./ Nick Roberts AA

133- Johnni DiJulius/ Nick Roberts AA

141- Logan Stieber NC

149- Hunter Stieber High AA to NC

157- Joshua Demas/ Micah Jordan AA

165- Bo Jordan AA to NC

174- Mark Martin NQ to AA

184- Kenny Courts AA

197- Kyle Snyder AA to NC

HWT- Nick Tavanallo/ Thomas Haines R12 to AA

So, I see possible 10 AA along with possible 3 NC. Minnesota did win the team title years ago with 10 AA and no Individual NC.

To win the team title, there should be no redshirting to allow the upperclassmen to wrestle. They have to wrestle off 125, 133, 157, and HWT to determine the true starter and start them no matter what.

I don't think the OSU would have that opportunity like that again in future.

Yes, because Ohio State will be completely screwed in 2015-2016 when they graduate their entire lineup...oh, wait, the only person they graduate is Logan Stieber? And Nick Roberts can blithely slide into the lineup at 133, bumping DiJulius up, and that hole is at least partially filled? Never mind... :roll:

SHP-

I can understand that. I'm basing on Logan's hs results. Monroeville came out of blue with four studs- Logan, Hunter, Cam Tressari, and Chris Phillips. They came close to div 3 state team title then finally got it during Logan s senior year and with help of other state qualifier, Clark. Then after Logan graduated, Monroeville slipped a little. After all studs graduated a year later, Monroeville slipped back to low or mid-tier and never was the same again.

So, with Logan's bonus points, tOSU has the chance to win the NCAAs.

I certainly hope that Jordans and other frosh studs could help carry the Buckeyes as Logan did.

Lets look at teams that didn't win the national title this year

Minny

7 All Americans

2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 5ths, and a 7th

OSU

5 All Americans

2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 8th

these are teams that didn't win a national title

Ohio State next year

I am projecting 7 AA's

1st L Stieber

2nd H Stieber

4th B Jordan

4th Synder

6th Tomasello

6th Courts

7th Demas

That team wouldn't have won this year, is it enough for next year? Minny won with 98 points in 2007, this year that is good for 4th, last year that would have been 5th. It may come down to how the other top schools reload.

It probably was just an April Fools joke......

Any truth to Joey Davis leaving ND college and joining the Buckeyes?

Just a rumor at this point. Joey Davis has stated that D1 is still an option for him, but that he is happy at ND. So he is kinda teasing people. I just stated Ohio State because he is already in Ohio (that's where ND is right?) and they look like contenders next season and they would have a spot for him at 174.

I just stated Ohio State because he is already in Ohio (that's where ND is right?) and they look like contenders next season and they would have a spot for him at 174.

Maybe next season, but I would be really surprised if Bo Jordan doesn't move up to 174 the following season. He is a monster and probably still growing.

They better go for it next year with Logans bonus point potential. It's easily OSUs best chance while others reload, or else a 2016 dual meet MIGHT look like this against PSU:

Megaludis dec Tomasello 3 - 0 PSU

Gulibon dec Roberts 6 - 0 PSU

Retherford dec DiJulius 9 - 0 PSU

H. Steiber dec Beitz 9 - 3 PSU

Nolf dec M. Jordan 12 - 3 PSU

B. Jordan fall Hammond 12 - 9 PSU

Nickal dec Martin 15 - 9 PSU

McIntosh dec Courts 18 - 9 PSU

Synder MD McCutheon 18 - 13 PSU

Nevills dec Haines 21 - 13 PSU

They better go for it with Logans bonus point potential. It's OSUs best chance while others reload. Otherwise a 2016 dual meet against Penn State MIGHT look like this:

Megaludis dec Tomasello 3 - 0 PSU

Gulibon dec Roberts 6 - 0 PSU

Retherford dec DiJulius 9 - 0 PSU

H. Steiber dec Beitz 9 - 3 PSU

Nolf dec M. Jordan 12 - 3 PSU

B. Jordan fall Hammond 12 - 9 PSU

Nickal dec Martin 15 - 9 PSU

McIntosh dec Courts 18 - 9 PSU

Synder MD McCutcheon 18 - 13 PSU

Nevills dec Haines 21 - 13 PSU

Since it seems Davis will be staying at D-II Notre Dame, I'd REALLY like to see him test the D-1 waters at the Midlands next season, where he could potentially get a crack at Evans & Kokesh. The NWCA could also give him an invite to the all-star dual...maybe as a 2nd match @ 174 (possibly as an opponent for Storley, Brown Evans or Kokesh) similar to 2011 when Grand Canyon's Victor Carazo upset Jordan Blanton.

Hunter Stieber, Bo Jordan, and Nathan Tomasello were a combined 60-0 during their redshirt year.

Quite a number of you have seen this flo interview, but I'll post it here again:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... 0SXOKhdXIo

I particularly like it when Bo Jordan says that Nathan Tomasello is the most focused person he's ever met. (He starts talking about Tomasello at the 5:20 point.)

It's going to be interesting.