Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

The Impact of Taylor & Ruth

Everybody knows what Taylor and Ruth mean to Penn State, but I believe that their impact on the sport goes far beyond national titles. They will be regarded by most, with the exceptions of that moron SuperOld & and a few PSU haters, as among the best ever. The sheer level of dominance is staggering. 124 of 134 wins for Taylor were bonus point wins. Ruth is something like 105 bonus points in 134 wins. I know, Taylor lost twice in the finals. 2 of his 3 losses were to a 4x NCAA champ, and both of those matches were very close (perhaps even questionable) one point losses. For Dake fans, you guys should be pumping up Taylor. It only elevates the status of Dake.

But the impact of Taylor & Ruth goes beyond rankings among the best ever. They are great for growing the interest in collegiate wrestling. I coach youth wrestling (not in Pa) and the only wrestler that kids have an interest in watching is David Taylor, and I am not just talking about this year. Yes, the Big 10 network helps! Some also like Ed Ruth too, but most of these kids have no interest in watching Ramos/Howe/Heflin style wrestling. They actually tune out during those type of matches. Taylor is who catches their interest. Why? Because he epitomizes the use of technique. They get to see amazing technique in all aspects of the sport, with a relentless attacking style. Ruth, much like Cael & Dake, represents sheer athleticism. But, as someone who teaches technique, there is no better wrestler to emulate than David T. "Let me know when Taylor is about to wrestle" is a mantra I hear quite a bit. It is what my son says, and it what most marginal fans of the sport say. College wrestling is losing two of the best ever, and it just won't be the same next year.

I'm a PSU fan and have to agree with you reluctantly. It's just hard to see, even with the most rose-colored glasses, how PSU replaces the dominance and points of two once in a generation wrestlers like Ruth and Taylor.

The team race was much tighter this year, and will be even more so, next year. Fact.

PSU will be in the title hunt, but won't/can't be considered as favorites.

Agreed on everything except that first little comment in the parenthesis.

The Scuffle match is the one where there might be a question mark. I actually know the ref of that match and saw him at dinner shortly after that match. I told him that he had big cajones to call that reversal as they went out of bounce. He laughed and said he just called it as he saw it. Not sure that other refs would have called that. Moot point, as Dake won when it counted the most.

Agreed on everything except that first little comment in the parenthesis.

The Scuffle match is the one where there might be a question mark. I actually know the ref of that match and saw him at dinner shortly after that match. I told him that he had big cajones to call that reversal as they went out of bounce. He laughed and said he just called it as he saw it. Not sure that other refs would have called that. Moot point, as Dake won when it counted the most.

Big cajones yes, but it was the right call by the rulebook and an outstanding piece of officiating. The only way the match would have been questionable is if he didn't make that call.

Doesn't affect the overall point of your post though. Taylor and Ruth were both great wrestlers and even though I'm not a Penn State fan, I will miss watching them represent the Nittany Lions.

But the impact of Taylor & Ruth goes beyond rankings among the best ever. They are great for growing the interest in collegiate wrestling. I coach youth wrestling (not in Pa) and the only wrestler that kids have an interest in watching is David Taylor, and I am not just talking about this year. Yes, the Big 10 network helps! Some also like Ed Ruth too, but most of these kids have no interest in watching Ramos/Howe/Heflin style wrestling. They actually tune out during those type of matches. Taylor is who catches their interest. Why? Because he epitomizes the use of technique. They get to see amazing technique in all aspects of the sport, with a relentless attacking style. Ruth, much like Cael & Dake, represents sheer athleticism. But, as someone who teaches technique, there is no better wrestler to emulate than David T. "Let me know when Taylor is about to wrestle" is a mantra I hear quite a bit. It is what my son says, and it what most marginal fans of the sport say. College wrestling is losing two of the best ever, and it just won't be the same next year.

Anyone who has been to Rec Hall, or to many Penn State away matches where David always signs autographs knows what you are saying is true. The kids all want to be like David Taylor.

The phenomenal thing about the past 4 years is that Ruth, Wright and Taylor have had the whole barn and kitchen sink thrown at them. I don't recall one time ever seeing any of them brought to anger or even saying anything that wasn't 100% classy and positive.

Taylor spoke so highly of Minnesota and Oklahoma State at his post tournament press conference, but that is just who he is. He won't be in our singlet going forward, but thankfully he is staying with The Nittany Lion Wrestling Club so we can still feel his impact here.

Cael Sanderson summed it up best when in his own post tournament presser he said In the history of college wrestling David Taylor is the guy he would pick first on his team. David Taylor was a program changer for Penn State.

I don't see there being a need to denigrate Ramos or Howe (or even Heflin, really) to make your point. Ramos especially has been an attacker for most of his career though he obviously struggled at the NCAA's.

ETA: Taylor and Ruth are spectacular. I watched the finals with a bunch of friends from my high school wrestling team who don't ]totally follow it any more, and they were mesmerized by some of the videos/anecdotes I told about Taylor (especially his granby/peekout takedown against Moore).

Everybody knows what Taylor and Ruth mean to Penn State, but I believe that their impact on the sport goes far beyond national titles. They will be regarded by most, with the exceptions of that moron SuperOld & and a few PSU haters, as among the best ever. The sheer level of dominance is staggering. 124 of 134 wins for Taylor were bonus point wins. Ruth is something like 105 bonus points in 134 wins. I know, Taylor lost twice in the finals. 2 of his 3 losses were to a 4x NCAA champ, and both of those matches were very close (perhaps even questionable) one point losses. For Dake fans, you guys should be pumping up Taylor. It only elevates the status of Dake.

Why must you continue to spread falsehoods and call me names tightwaist? For the record, I've never questioned Ed Ruth's place in history. I said if Ruth finished with a title, he would be among the best ever, and if he finished undefeated, he would be very high on the all time list. I'm not sure where I said otherwise. Could you refer me to that comment tightwaist?

And I'm not sure in what world that David Taylor "epitomizes the use of technique". I'd like to hear more about this.

I don't see there being a need to denigrate Ramos or Howe (or even Heflin, really) to make your point. Ramos especially has been an attacker for most of his career though he obviously struggled at the NCAA's.

Tightwaist needs no defense from me, however, I fail to see where he denigrated the wrestlers you mention. He merely stated that, based on his experience coaching youth wrestling, most of the kids have no interest in watching them. He further said that the only wrestler they're really interesting in watch is Taylor (and, to a lesser extent, Ruth). I think Tightwaist was just pointing out the impact that Taylor's style has on the youth he coaches.

What's the over/under on the number of tears of unfathomable sadness Superold shed after Taylor won on Saturday?

I never said that I didn't like Taylor or that I didn't want him to win BigRedMachine. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else.

Taylor and Ruth will be missed a great deal. Will be interesting how they will be involved with PSU and NLWC in the future.

I agree with the Heflin comment, not Ramos. Many of his opponents had their track shoes on against him and he still pulled off some super clutch wins.