Sign in to follow this  
PhiferFuqua

All-time tourney point scorers

These are four-time finalists (plus Ed Ruth) since 1975 with the career team points they scored in the NCAA tourney:

Cael Sanderson 107.5

Ed Banach 103.5

David Taylor 99

Pat Smith 99

Ed Ruth 94.5

Lincoln McIlravy 94

Kyle Dake 92

Steve Mocco 90

Daryl Burley 89.5

Ben Askern 87.5

Lee Kemp 86

Jake Varner 80.5

Mark Branch 79

Duane Goldman 78

Logan Stieber has 77.5 thru his junior year. If he matches this year's result next year, he'll move into 2nd all time with 104.

After crunching the numbers, you could make a pretty strong case for David Taylor having a better career than Kyle Dake. 99-92 lead in career NCAA tournament points, 4-3 lead in conference titles. For Taylor, 91.2% of his matches ended in a bonus, while only 58.9% of Dake's matches did the same. Taylor had fewer losses, albeit 2 of his 3 were to Dake so this is kind of a moot point.

Dominance score (6 for pin + 5 for tech + 4 for major + 3 for decision - losses with same scoring):

Taylor: 4.839 (134-3 with 53 pins, 42 tech, 30 majors and only nine decisions, minus two decisions and a pin)

Dake: 4.106 (137-4 with 44 pins, 9 techs, 30 majors and 54 decisions, minus four decisions, three of which were in OT)

Dake still won four titles, in four different weight classes, without a redshirt year. Dake beat Taylor H2H in both folk and freestyle. But Taylor's career numbers are more impressive.

Certain aspects of his numbers are more impressive but for the numbers that count - titles and beating the best, and head to head (the purest measure), Dake simply rises above. You like Taylor's style better, I get it. But you show your bias by only focusing on the stats you want to focus on. Very very few people will place Taylor ahead of Dake. Gotta let it go. Be proud. DT is phenomenal! But this comparison serves a negative purpose in the end and only makes a very bright flame appear a bit less bright.

Nice pic. Posted before I got to post this one!

Good stuff. Are you adjusting scoring based on today's scoring rules? Many changes over the years (tech falls v superior decisions, incomplete v full WBs, varying rules regarding advancement points and byes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty obvious that no one belongs under consideration unless they have won at least 20 NCAA Championship Bracket wins. So include the 3 4 timers. Add Kemp and Burley at least. But Ruth with 17 and Taylor with 18 don't make the cut.

After crunching the numbers, you could make a pretty strong case for David Taylor having a better career than Kyle Dake. 99-92 lead in career NCAA tournament points, 4-3 lead in conference titles. For Taylor, 91.2% of his matches ended in a bonus, while only 58.9% of Dake's matches did the same. Taylor had fewer losses, albeit 2 of his 3 were to Dake so this is kind of a moot point.

Dominance score (6 for pin + 5 for tech + 4 for major + 3 for decision - losses with same scoring):

Taylor: 4.839 (134-3 with 53 pins, 42 tech, 30 majors and only nine decisions, minus two decisions and a pin)

Dake: 4.106 (137-4 with 44 pins, 9 techs, 30 majors and 54 decisions, minus four decisions, three of which were in OT)

Dake still won four titles, in four different weight classes, without a redshirt year. Dake beat Taylor H2H in both folk and freestyle. But Taylor's career numbers are more impressive.

lol, no. Here's the one number that really matters: NCAA titles, Kyle Dake: 4 vs. David Taylor: 2. You can try and defend Taylor having a better career however you want, but it won't make it true.

I've pinned my little brother 1,021 time which gives me 6,126 team points. In addition I've won our household tournament 8 times to Taylor and Dake's 0. Therefor statistically you can make the argument I've had a better career even though both would tech me in about 40 seconds.

^^TRIVIA - Obviously we go thru point-scoring changes as time goes by, plus we're in an era where wrestler can go to NCAA's four times. Anyway, one year when Dan Gable was wrestling for Iowa State, NCAA upped the point scoring. That year at the NCAA's Gable became the second wrestler to tally at least 20 points for his team at an NCAA tournament. Who was the first guy to hit 20? (Bit of a trick question in that it happened at the same NCAA tournament.)

Cael Sanderson 107.5

Ed Banach 103.5

David Taylor 99

Pat Smith 99

Ed Ruth 94.5

Lincoln McIlravy 94

Kyle Dake 92

Steve Mocco 90

Daryl Burley 89.5

Ben Askern 87.5

Lee Kemp 86

Jake Varner 80.5

Mark Branch 79

Duane Goldman 78

That is some list. There's not one bum on there.

I've pinned my little brother 1,021 time which gives me 6,126 team points. In addition I've won our household tournament 8 times to Taylor and Dake's 0. Therefor statistically you can make the argument I've had a better career even though both would tech me in about 40 seconds.

I hope my 4-year old grandson grows up to win the Olympics. Then I can brag about all my victories over an Olympic gold medalist. I imagine the other guys at the Old Folks Home will be impressed!

Dumbest point I've ever read, or at least top 5. The idea that because Taylor pinned some guys in the first round or two of the NCAAs, where Dake may beat them by a major, makes Taylor's career better is laughable. Dake has twice the titles Taylor has and beat him 5 times while the two were in college. 4 titles is better than 3, which is better than 2, and so on.

Dake was more valuable to his team for the entirety of his career. Dake won more often in a three day stretch every late March for four years. Dake beat Taylor 5 times in a row, so there is no question he is better. But Taylor helped his team win titles, helped his team win duals. I think we have to start re-thinking how we penalize people for having minor failures in hyper concentrated matches. Burroughs is amazing because he not only won worlds, he won WTTs and everything else that leads up to it for three straight years. Taylor is amazing because he consistently put up bonus points every time he stepped on the mat, creating energy and excitement and interest. Go back a year, the hype was over the fact that Dake just won, while Taylor won big. The 5-0 head-to-head locks up Dake being better amongst the two, but in a historical context, 91.2% of your matches ending in bonus points is astronomical.