Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

PSU Projected Line-Up 2014-15

Thoughts on PSU's line-up next year and finishing position at nationals?

125 Nico --- 3rd

133 Gulibon --- 8th

141 Retherford -- 2nd

149 Beitz (Nolf RS) DNP

157 D Alton -- 7th

165 Nickal -- 8th

174 Brown -- 1st

184 McCutcheon -- DNP

197 McIntosh --- 4th

275 Lawson (Nevills RS) -- 8th

I think you are being pretty generous with some of those placements. Nico is Nico, he will probably never place lower than 3rd, but he just happens to have two studs ahead of him. If he can learn to finish on Delgado (easier said), then he can potentially win it all. Jimmy G. is not on par with the top talent at 133, and I am not sure that his style is suddenly going to change. He has already had a RS, and I just don't see huge improvement suddenly kicking in next year. Zain is Top 3 material for sure. But, Stieber is back and so are Carter & Port. Any speculation on Nickal is just that...speculation. He has raw talent and may develop into a real stud, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he takes 2-3 years to truly become an AA candidate. 174 loses the Top 2 finishers, but the next 4 are a flip of the coin as to who will win it. Storley and Evans both seem to have figured Brown out and Kokesh is insanely tough as well. McIntosh is undersized for 197. I love the way he wrestles, but there are just some horses at 197 as well as Kyle Snyder being added into the mix. Nevills will ultimately become a national champ, but that will take a couple of years. Lawson/gingrich/Nevills may get on to the podium next year, but they may go 2-2 at NCAA's.

As a PSU fan, I think next year is going to be tough. Tough according to recent PSU standards. Yes, they may finish top 5, but I just don't see it. They have 4 real AA candidates. No real national champ contenders and alot of maybes. Hoping Cael & company prove me wrong.

As a PSU fan, I think next year is going to be tough. Tough according to recent PSU standards. Yes, they may finish top 5, but I just don't see it. They have 4 real AA candidates. No real national champ contenders and alot of maybes.

This is spot on. The PSU cupboard is just a little depleted next year.

What realistically is McCutcheon or Hammonds potential? Not only next year, but peak in the career?

Insiders say McCutcheon is an AA candidate next year and that Hammond could develop into an AA candidate, but isn't there yet (if he can win the starting spot over incoming freshman). Take that with a grain of salt, since it is the practice room. Macintosh was lighting up the practice room when he showed up and expectations were a national championship out of the gates, but we've seen how tough D1 wrestling has been for him.

Having said that, Cutch has solid results this year and was competitive with everyone, including a close battle with AA Lorenzo Thomas at the Scuffle. Doing that in March, however, is another story. PSU fans are right to have high expectations for Cutch, but to pencil him in as an AA is foolhardy.

Pointless to rank 174 1-4. Brown was 2-2 against both Evans and Storley

What have you done for me lately, it doesn't matter that he was 2-2, what are the latest results? Storely was 1-2 vs. Kokesh and is now 3-2, so he deserves to be ranked ahead of him. Storely has beaten Brown 2x in a row now...guys figured Brown out, it happens.

'It also happens that a guy (like Brown) goes in a slump for whatever reason and comes back stronger than ever the next year.

Even while not wrestling nearly as well as he has in the past Brown was able to All American and beat Storley at Big Tens.

Storley has not "figured him out" and I don't believe Evans has either (** Clearly he hasn't figured him out either since Brown beat Evans at NCAAs as well. Thank you to the poster below me, I had forgotten that).

Brown wasn't wrestling well and other guys were for the most part.

As far as McIntosh we saw sparks of brilliance during the year after his arm brace came off and I think he can beat ANYONE at the weight when he is on. Will he be at the end of the year? I don't know... he did not look good at NCAAs this year but he's still a freshman All American and that's damn impressive.

What have you done for me lately, it doesn't matter that he was 2-2, what are the latest results? Storely was 1-2 vs. Kokesh and is now 3-2, so he deserves to be ranked ahead of him. Storely has beaten Brown 2x in a row now...guys figured Brown out, it happens.

Brown beat Storley at Big tens. Brown just split with Evans at the NCAAs and took him down 3 times. Pay attention

'It also happens that a guy (like Brown) goes in a slump for whatever reason and comes back stronger than ever the next year.

Even while not wrestling nearly as well as he has in the past Brown was able to All American and beat Storley at Big Tens.

Storley has not "figured him out" and I don't believe Evans has either (** Clearly he hasn't figured him out either since Brown beat Evans at NCAAs as well. Thank you to the poster below me, I had forgotten that).

As far as McIntosh we saw sparks of brilliance during the year after his arm brace came off and I think he can beat ANYONE at the weight when he is on. Will he be at the end of the year? I don't know... he did not look good at NCAAs this year but he's still a freshman All American and that's damn impressive.

McIntosh is a RS Soph...

McIntosh is a RS Soph...

Well ok than replace freshman with soph. I thought he was a RS freshman but that is probably because this is his first year in the lineup... after Quentin Wright.

psu fans

I noticed rasheed is coming to psu, He was coached by mike picozzi

who coached kerry mccoy. Ny does not wrestle out side state

but for whats its worth.

kid has huge upside , long , great cradle , dominates.

Im sure they will red shirt him , excited hes coming.

he wil be in mix with the bigger names thats wht cael

went and got him

frank c

Frank, when I saw that Cory committed to Penn State I could hardly believe it. I know this kid did well in a couple of summer time events. People say he's a lot like Ruth with the cradles. Also that he is really quick, but maybe a little raw. Does this sound right?

yep

atheletic, Picozzi teaches great fundamentals. but he does

have upside.Picozzi retired last year but has Cory as 7th grader up.

i see all the chatter about nolf and nickal this may be there best recruit

not dishing these two just think kid can be special.

Frank

^^Here's Buffalo 2015 and will add that there are a lot of incoming frosh who will be challenging for starting spots (though not listed below)-

125- Max Soria-RSR

133- Jason Estevez RFR

141- Colt Cotten RFR

149- Ryan Todora SO (or might redshirt)

157- Wally Maziarz RSR

165- Tyler Rill RSO

174- Rrok Ndokaj RSO or Tony Lock JR

184- Angelo Malvestudo RSR or Joe Ariolo RFR

197- James Benjamin SO

285- Anthony Tufaro RFR or Mike Silvis RFR

^^I will guess Edinboro 2015-

125 Kory Mines