Sign in to follow this  
Coachp

Huskers in review...and going forward

Well, since everyone but Penn State is second guessing, expressing disappointment, and looking forward, I present Nebraska for discussion:

My take, is that Nebraska again underachieved at NCAAs. Now,... were we ever going to truly challenge for the title,... no, but on the other hand, not 1 guy wrestled up to their seeds, which I thought in some cases were even too low. I feel like Nebraska should be on the positive end of an upset or two, and least once in a while, instead of having it happen too them so often.

Green can be, and probably was the best kid in the weight class, and everyone except Green seemed to know Ness was capable of throwing his 'move' (for lack of better word) if not treated with caution. If Green attacked in neutral, it should never be closer than the 7-2 score from mid season. This literally was the biggest WTF of the entire meet, which bailed out Kokesh from getting that award. How about Sueflohn, who started slow against Kindig, and got in a hole, before almost coming back for a win, The way that bracket shook out, that little mental error, or not being aggressive, was probably the difference in being a finalist, where he would have had a 50/50 chance against tsirtsis.

So what is the answer? Well, some of it has to be coaching. Not nescesarily technically, but mental, and being ready for prime time. I will say I love Manning, and Snyder, and cant think of another pair of guys out there I would replace them with, (that you would get to come to Lincoln.

But there is no denying , we seemed to do well during the season, at Vegas, then dual season, but then falter at Big 10s and Nationals again.

One of the things I see, is we to never seem to have a complete team, and with Abidin becoming ineligible at the first of the year, it was just another season of trying to compete with at least one or two glaring holes in the lineup. Next year, I would like to see us have a full compliment of team to compliment our 3 bullets, who will be wrestling their senior seasons. Put the best lineup on the mat to make a deep run while these 3 are still around, and forget redshirting. Make sure guys are getting the academic help they need, and stay on top of it.

Like I said, Manning is safe, but everywhere else, there needs to be a real evaluation with nobody immune from making changes where needed or getting out of the way. We are stacked/deep in the middle, coaching and personel wise, but seem to have struggled in lower, and upper weights.

Here is the lineup scenarios for next year:

I have Sueflohn at 141, believing he isn't big enough to compete with the horses at 149

125 Lambert

133 Abidin, McCrystal, Morgan

141 Sueflohn, Tuma,Colton Adams

149 Sueflohn, Tyler Berger

157 Green

165 Wilson, Barnes,Nick Bennet

174 Kokesh

184 Dudley

197 Spencer Johnson, Derick White

HWT Jensen

184 You have to get Dudley to be a more disciplined wrestler. He is so much better than he has been allowed to wrestle.

HWT Get bigger/stronger ( I believe there to be one if not two D tackles, and an incoming freshman O-lineman on the football team that would be our starter, and be top 10 to 15 guys).

Well, if Tuma can make 141, I believe you keep Sueflohn at 149. Green although didn't win the title this year he'll be in the hunt again next year. Right there is three guys that will provide a strong middle weight group in the middle of the Cornhuskers line up. Kokesh, is a stud and he will also be in the hunt. Maybe he won't win the title but I don't see anything except an injury keeping Kokesh from being a high place winner at next years NCAA's. Going back to 125 and 133 Lambert is close and had some quality wins this year, Shawn Nagel, well let's see who can step in and make an impact. Nebraska is like a lot of teams right now. The have to recruit, and they have to look inside their own wrestling room to fill some of these weight classes. But I am sure Manning and his coaching staff will be up to the task and do a great job.

Nebraska will have a very nice team. I admire Sueflohn a great deal but if his goal is to be national champ, you keep him at 149. He had a bad tourney. It happens.

Cornhuskers are one of a half dozen teams with a shot to win it all next year. All this Buckeye talk ignores the fact they have more proven talent returning.

I think if Green would've been in the finals vs Dieringer, Dieringer would've beaten him. I never seen such a big or good Dieringer (I think he's way better at 65 next year). Green should absolutely be the favorite next year at 157

Sueflohn needs to stay at 149 and focus on getting stronger. 41 was a tough cut for him and he's not beating any of the top 4 there so why kill yourself to wrestle a tougher weight class? Should be top 3 at 149 next year regardless.

Kokesh should be top 3 next year at 174.

So three top 3's and a potential AA or two and its a very good but not threatening for a title year (I'd guess 6-8 with like an Illinois or Michigan)

Nebraska will have a very nice team. I admire Sueflohn a great deal but if his goal is to be national champ, you keep him at 149. He had a bad tourney. It happens.

Cornhuskers are one of a half dozen teams with a shot to win it all next year. All this Buckeye talk ignores the fact they have more proven talent returning.

I can see your point, but then get thicker, and more powerful.

Sueflohn should work on getting to 8th place before worrying about national champ. He is a hard worker and I admire his aggression, but he never delivers when it matters. He's not the type of impact wrestler you move your lineup around for. Figure out what's best for the team, then decide what's best for Sueflohn.

I fully agree with the tought that, redshirts be damned, Manning has to mat his 10 best guys, period. If the Huskers don't deliver next year, given the relative strengthening of other B1G teams, e.g. tOSU, Northwestern, they could be looking at a long while before they make a good run. That will impact recruiting, morale, etc. it's a must-do year next year. This year was just terrible.

Green is terrific but the only guy that knew how to handle Ness was Dieringer.

You want Sueflohn to shrink down to 141 and get eaten by Logan Stieber?

Green kicked his ass at Big10s this season by being aggressive, like 7-2 with at least two takedowns

The dinger would of crushed green.

There is no way Deringer crushes Green. Green scored bonus points in every match but the loss to Ness. Green would wrestle Deringer as he does everyone but Ness - not having to worry about his blast double being turned into a throw/scramble. Green crushed everyone he wrestled after Ness.

Kokesh has to recover from his torn ACL and he will be 1 or 2 going into next yr at 174.

Dudley needs to condition like an AA does.

Jensen must put on muscle and lean mass. He is just to small for HWT.

Lambert is a scrapper and will be right there at 125.

Sueflohn has one more chance to AA. He has all of the tools.

Abidin needs to stay eligible or Tuma can be the guy if he wins the wrestle off. McCrystal will be down to 133 his natural weight.

A good recruiting class but not great will allow the Huskers to be a top 10 team next yr. if the other weights can step up.

coach p, this was a very disappointing end to actually a pretty good year 2nd or 3rd at cliff keen. 1st at reno. a tie breaker away from a tie of the big ten dual champions. big tens and ncaa were just not good. 1st off Sueflohn will never be 141. I don't think you realize how tall he is. it was too much weight as a freshman. not happening. 2nd let me throw this out there- jake, james still have a redshirt left. I don't know what the final verdict on Robert will be even if he could go next year. he will have a hard time doing that I think. so why not red shirt the three[medical redshirt ?] and come back the following year with a line-up full of red shirt seniors and redshirt juniors and make a title run? I think Sueflohn needs a year off regardless and green could benefit as well.

When did Kokesh tear his ACL and doesn't it take 9 months to a year to recover from this injury?

I don't think the Huskers have the firepower to win a team title but there's no way they should finish outside the top ten every year. With the three they have coming back next year they should finish no lower than 3 or 4 at NCAAs, and Kokesh and Green need to win championships as they will be seniors and there is nobody at their weights that they haven't already beaten (assuming Dieringer goes 165). Anything less than a top 4 team finish at NCAAs will be a failure.

Sueflohn needs to fix his weak mental attitude and quit folding at NCAAs. The guy has been top 5 every year throughout the season, then he just takes a dump at nationals. That match with Villalonga in the consis was completely ridiculous...giving up three takedowns in the last 40 seconds?

With the young guys they have coming in, they need to get this thing fixed. Maybe call John Smith and figure out the right way to peak for NCAAs.

Green is terrific but the only guy that knew how to handle Ness was Dieringer.

You want Sueflohn to shrink down to 141 and get eaten by Logan Stieber?

The only live match I have ever watched of Sueflohn he got tech_falled at Flo nationals in 2010 I believe. He has turned out to be a better college wrestler than I thought. Still needs to prove himself in March though.

Was Robert injured in the first match vs Storley? If yes, or before, I may have been too critical of his end of match letdown, and/or loss in the second match with Storley. If he wrestled through a torn ACL, and didn't just Inj. Def., like others did, how many points did that cost the gophers?

Kokesh tore his ACL against the wrestler from Illinois per the Omaha World Herald article. He then went on to win that match, beat the Whips, then Evans, before losing in OT. He is a stud. I wrestled my senior year in college with a torn acl and had to wear the brace Kokesh had on and I was not even 50% of the wrestler I was before the injury. It sucked big time. I commend him for wrestling so well with a torn ACL. That took a lot of guts.

Kokesh tore his ACL against the wrestler from Illinois per the Omaha World Herald article. He then went on to win that match, beat the Whips, then Evans, before losing in OT. He is a stud. I wrestled my senior year in college with a torn acl and had to wear the brace Kokesh had on and I was not even 50% of the wrestler I was before the injury. It sucked big time. I commend him for wrestling so well with a torn ACL. That took a lot of guts.

that is impressive, especially taking it to Evans.

The dinger would of crushed green.

There is no way Deringer crushes Green. Green scored bonus points in every match but the loss to Ness. Green would wrestle Deringer as he does everyone but Ness - not having to worry about his blast double being turned into a throw/scramble. Green crushed everyone he wrestled after Ness.

That's impressive that Green crushed the consolation bracket. All Dieringer did was crush the championship bracket.

This post has to be a JOKE! You telling me that in 14 years at Nebraska this finish is what Husker fans are willing to accept?

Manning needs to go, HAS to go and should go!

The biggest problem in Lincoln are fans that are willing to accept these types of finishes year after year. Some of the same people on here brag about the success of UNO and UNK and fail to hold UNL to the same standard. With the amount of support, one of the worlds best facilities, great assistant coaches, JB in the room and a large budget NO should accept these types of finishes year after year.

No one should accept the number of young men that leave the program each year. This is a program that has to bring in risky recruits and hope they stay.

Nebraska fans and admin were not willing to accept these results in any other major sport and should NEVER accept them in wrestling!

This post has to be a JOKE! You telling me that in 14 years at Nebraska this finish is what Husker fans are willing to accept?

Manning needs to go, HAS to go and should go!

The biggest problem in Lincoln are fans that are willing to accept these types of finishes year after year. Some of the same people on here brag about the success of UNO and UNK and fail to hold UNL to the same standard. With the amount of support, one of the worlds best facilities, great assistant coaches, JB in the room and a large budget NO should accept these types of finishes year after year.

No one should accept the number of young men that leave the program each year. This is a program that has to bring in risky recruits and hope they stay.

Nebraska fans and admin were not willing to accept these results in any other major sport and should NEVER accept them in wrestling!

First of all, it's ridiculous to try to compare success in D1 to D2. Second thing is do you really think Burroughs is staying if they run his two coaches out of town? And then replace them with who? Manning and Snyder have proven that they can train elite level talent, and have essentially been behind the development of the best wrestler that the US has put out since John Smith..JB was far from a finished product when he arrived in Lincoln.

When you mention the "risky" recruits, is that a reference to Mccauley and Downey? I don't think you can blame them for giving these guys a chance...

Here is your long term plan in Lincoln: Stick with what you're doing until Burroughs is done competing, and then the second this happens, bring him on as a full time assistant. After a couple of years, he becomes the head coach and you pray Rutgers doesn't make a play for him before the promotion.

Nebraska isn't exactly a hotbed of high school wrestling talent to draw a recruiting base from.

Perfect example of why your Nebraska team will never be at the top. Your fan base is willing to settle and hope that JB will save the program in ten years.

Nebraska is not now, never has been and chances are never will be a wrestling hotbed, however there are hundreds of talented young men across the nation each year looking for a place to wrestle.

Nebraska has had three national champs in ten years! However in the past five years that same school has signed enough out of state young men to finish in the top ten recruiting rankings four times. Recruiting Rankings: 2012 #4, 2011 #2, 2010 #7, 2009 #4, 2008 #15

The issue in Lincoln is you have all the right resources in place except for a coach that can keep them on campus. Talent shows up it just never stays long enough to develop.

Excuse after excuse and fans that are willing to settle! Your Basketball team is a perfect example of the difference a coach can make.

Based on a conversation I overheard of Storley. It seemed that Kokesh tore his ACL against Evans. Wasn't the only match Kokesh wore the brace in the third place match? Which would coincide with the timeline of Evans tearing it.

Green's dismantling of Miller and Jordan was sooo impressive. Ness may have awoken a sleeping giant in Green.