Sign in to follow this  
Coachp

Huskers in review...and going forward

I will take Green over Deringer when they meet next year.

And I will take a National title over vague predictions. Lucky for you Dieringer will be at 165 next year. That means Green should have a clear path to a National title until he loses to another wrestler that he's better than.

I will take Green over Deringer when they meet next year.

Dieringer looked huge in the finals. According to several guys on this board who know the Cowboy program, he was cutting very heavily. It certainly showed Saturday night. Green being a smaller 157, I would favor a fully hydrated Dieringer over the smaller, quicker Green every time. I think all this talk about how if it weren't for Ness, Green would be a champ is way premature and probably just wishful thinking.

Green is a very talented guy with the second quickest shot in the country (only Nahshon Garrett's is quicker) and a tendency to lose in big matches. Dieringer is an NCAA champion who has lost a grand total of one time, in OT to the eventual champion, at the NCAAs.

Based off of NCAA performances... I will take Dieringer over Green... especially on the biggest stage of them all. It wasn't like Green was just manhandling Ness when he got pinned. On the other hand, Dieringer had no trouble at all in scoring when he wanted and staying off the elevator.

Nebraska has had their ups and downs like every other program. It takes a special team to win a National title and something only 4 teams have done in a long time. Nebraska has the capabilities and the staff right now to take it to another level.

Manning and there staff have helped in the development of probably the best wrestler on the planet right now in JB.

Recruiting grades don't really give a whole story all the time. But, I do know of many walk-ons or really small scholly guys turning into studs by the time they were a Senior. Brester, Brown, Padden, and many more.

I heard Kokesh tore his ACL against Illinois on Friday night. He wrestled all day Saturday with a torn ACL. He is a true warrior and for me is the favorite at 174 next season. Lost to Storley on a bonehead last 8 seconds. If you wrestle that situation 100 more times it might not ever happen again. For 3rd and 4th he couldn't shoot and was a shell of himself. Still kicked Evans butt with a torn ACL. Kokesh never loses to Evans again.

Green is on pace to be a 4 time AA and should be top 1 or 2 at whatever weight he wrestles next year.

Sueflohn is not a 141 pounder. There was nobody stopping him from dropping this year so why would he drop down next year. He lost to Kindig (finalist) and Villalonga (3 seed). I personally thought a challenge flag should have been thrown in one of the scrambles in the third period that ended in a Kindig takedown. Same position in bounds and no 2 but as they go out of bounds nothing changed and the ref then gives 2 TD. Sueflohn is tough and is in the top 4 next season.

The next best guy on the team in my opinion is Austin Wilson at 165. Look for a lot of improvement from him and to be one of the tough guys on the team as a junior.

Lambert at 125 still needs to get a lot better or he will have a similar finish next year. lost before the round of 12 but there always seems to be new freshman coming into this weight that can compete right away. still looks promising.

133,141,184,197,hwt are all up for grabs and we could see new faces at any one of those weights. whether they have returning qualifiers or not at these weights. Nobody should feel like their spot is a lock.

The Nebraska team is also one of the higher GPA wrestling teams in the country. Have had recent Academic All Americans out of Josh Inhen 2x and Tucker Lane.