Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Spjut to Indiana

InterMat is reporting that Erik Spjut is transferring to Indiana.

I seem to recall some past discussion about how Virginia Tech was going to fit all the quality lightweights they were bringing in. I see the same type of situation potentially developing at 133 for Cornell.

^^^ACC'ers viewed Spjut as a good lower weight, good on his feet, sometimes struggles to get off bottom, someone who can help most any Div I team, but doesn't really look like he'll AA no matter where he goes. I like the kid and nice to see a good Div I wrestler out of Texas. Expect he'll do ok in the BigTen.

Unless IU is losing a few guys (which could be) its creates a crunch for them in the light weight department too. I'm guessing this probably means Brandon Wright (originally slated for IU a few years back)won't be heading there following this last JUCO year.

Where do you think Wright will land? He was pretty talented, no?

I'm guessing the news about Ty Mitch also leaving the program? He has left & made it evident that he was not returning and was in the process of deciding where he'd like to go. Made mention of OSU but I find that odd since his very good friend & present OSU 125 Dijulius is the starter. Mitch did win their head to head early in the season.

VT's line up next year will have a lot of question marks with Spjut's departure. Here's what the 2012-13 roster shows from Hokiesports.com

125 Jarrod Garnett (should AA this year)

133 O'donnell (Spjut would have been a nice fit here to allow a RS for O'donnell)

141 Carter/Neibert (my guess is Carter to RS)

149 Nick Brascetta RD 12 last season (notably absent from the roster completely is former NCAA Qualifier Brian Stephens)

157 Jesse Dong will AA & IMO will be an NCAA Semi Finalist/Finalist this year.

165 Pete Yates AA last year & should repeat that performance.

174 Chris Moon was solid, but unless Huston Evans RS's my guess is he'll take the spot

184 John Dickson/Vetterlein: Vetterlein was at 197 but now listed at 184. My guess is they'll split time to allow Vetterlein to flux his weight drop & have him at 184 for ACC's/Tourney

197 Not listed on roster yet but Derrick Borlie should take the 197 spot w/ Angelo Malvestuto filling in

HWT David Marone did get his 6th year due to Med RS and should be a Top 12 HWT this year.

No matter what it winds up being, I just wish the season wasn't so far away.

^^^Do you think Chris Penny might be redshirtted?

With all the Hwt's in that line up & the fact that we was originally RSing last year prior to Marone's inj, I'd guess he will.

VT definitely has the #'s at HWT

Chris Penny SR - my guess is a RS

Dan Garwood- SO

Bobby Lavelle- SO

Dawson Peck (incoming FS) should RS & build up that 6-9 frame.

Ty Waltz (incoming FS) - Was #12 at 220 in HS

I'm still a big advocate of NCAA adding a 225-230 weight...If HS has the 215, 220, 225 classes that needs to bridge over to NCAA's IMO

^^^I love talkin VT rasslin. I was hoping to see former VA AAA hwt champ Taylor Horner on the preseason roster. I was told that he delayed enrollment last year because of inj.

We will never have wrestling fans agree on wt classes. If we are wedded to ten, then I'd recommend-

120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 185, 200, 230 and 300. OR have heaviest wt classes be 200, 250 and unlimited. Back in the old days some of the most excitment was generated by having a normal size hwt up against a 400 pounder!

It's always interesting to see the updated roster & see who isn't listed & wonder why. This year's is missing the following:

Ty Mitch (already discussed)

Erik Spjut (Indiana)

Brian Stephens ?? - knee inj last year & not sure if he's hung up the shoes?

Issah Meade ??

I almost forgot about Austin Gabel pushing for the 174 spot as he was impressive as a RS last year. The biggest key for all these young guys who RS'ed last year is how much work they put in this summer during the off season program. That is where you see the biggest improvement year to year...Who's working harder & deciding that they will be the starter/champions.

Is it November yet?

It's always interesting to see the updated roster & see who isn't listed & wonder why. This year's is missing the following:

Erik Spjut (Indiana)

Issah Meade ??

I almost forgot about Austin Gabel pushing for the 174 spot as he was impressive as a RS last year. The biggest key for all these young guys who RS'ed last year is how much work they put in this summer during the off season program. That is where you see the biggest improvement year to year...Who's working harder & deciding that they will be the starter/champions.

Is it November yet?

Might want to add Bubba Scheffel in there. He is tough, but was out due to injury last season.

Lex Ozias and Matt Stephens also had good first years at VT. If what Ive heard is correct Ozias won the redshirt freshman of the year award and will be returning at 149. Will be interesting to see what happens at 149 with Brascetta and Ozias next year. It seems that the older stephens (brian) doesnt seem to be making a come back anytime soon..not on the roster.

Erik Spjut (Indiana)

Issah Meade ??

Is it November yet?

I wouldn't read too much into Meade not being on the roster. Seems like this year they are listing the 28 man roster (27 listed.....Borlie 28?), rather than the expanded roster with the club guys. So it's possible Meade is in the room working with the NRV club (who works with the team). Tom Reynolds (133) might be there, too. I'd add Mears, to the gone list.

The depth at 285 is intriguing. There's been talk about Lavelle cutting back to 197. With Garwood there as a fill-in, they could redshirt Penny, Walz and Peck. Plus, they've got walk-ons in two Roanoke area guys: Mike Jones and Taylor Horner. Wouldn't be shocked if Jones beats Garwood. Marone will be getting coaching experience with so many young workout partners. I'm sure Dresser will rest Marone from time to time and sit him during some of the tourneys.

Could be a real battle at 174 between Scheffel, Evans and Gabel. Hard to imagine either Evans and Gabel staying at 174 if they lose the wrestloff.....my guess is that they bump up to 184.

^^^I love talkin VT rasslin. I was hoping to see former VA AAA hwt champ Taylor Horner on the preseason roster. I was told that he delayed enrollment last year because of inj.

We will never have wrestling fans agree on wt classes. If we are wedded to ten, then I'd recommend-

120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 185, 200, 230 and 300. OR have heaviest wt classes be 200, 250 and unlimited. Back in the old days some of the most excitment was generated by having a normal size hwt up against a 400 pounder!

Pretty sure Horner's in the room. Right now the roster is at 27....my guess is Borlie is #28. Lot's of other guys in the room though. Mike Jones is in the mix at 285, i think. That's 8 guys at 285.

Could be a real battle at 174 between Scheffel, Evans and Gabel. Hard to imagine either Evans and Gabel staying at 174 if they lose the wrestloff.....my guess is that they bump up to 184.

Agreed. Gabel was impressive in his RS (placed 2nd at Wolfpack Open, 7th at Southern Scuffle & 4th at Shorty Hitchcock). I saw that while back home in CO he's been working out at the OTC. I'd just guess that he's had some quality workout partners to roll with there.

Agreed. Gabel was impressive in his RS (placed 2nd at Wolfpack Open, 7th at Southern Scuffle & 4th at Shorty Hitchcock). I saw that while back home in CO he's been working out at the OTC. I'd just guess that he's had some quality workout partners to roll with there.

Part of me wonders if Evans would struggle making 174.

Part of me wonders if Evans would struggle making 174.

I agree. Hard to imagine dropping from HS 182 to D1 174 after being introduced to a top notch strength & conditioning program. VT just unveiled their new Olympic Sports weight facility the other day & it is truly impressive....Plus if he RS, I cant see him moving down.