Sign in to follow this  
mot

Head coaches that need to go.

Well I don't think Burroghs is a realistic choice since it appears that he still has international aspirations. But if Varner is done he might be a good fit somewhere. It might be that some AD's may have to start looking at some of these perennial high school powerhouses and try and draw theses coaches into the college ranks.

Many schools are in a tight spot, not just the ones mentioned in this post. The entire West Regional and Southern Conference only had one AA apiece. North Dakota, and the Citadel. The Pac 12 only had two one from Bakersfield, and one from Boise St.

NDSU would be crazy to get rid of Kish. It takes more than a year or 2 to build a program

Also Jackson isn't going anywhere at Iowa State, 3 All Americans and everybody back next year and ahead of UNI who supposedly has pasted Iowa State up. We do need to keep improving

The following peograms need to rethink their coaching staff. Whether it's firing the head guy (usually the right move) or changing the composition of their staff, something needs to change.

In order of urgency:

wVU

MSU

Arizona State

Indiana

Purdue

Penn

I am leaving Rutgers off the list for now to see what Goodale can do with his incoming studs next year. They did, finally, just get their AA this year too, although that is an admittedly low bar to be setting for the only fully-funded D1 school in NJ.

I also would like to see what would happen if Kolat became the head coach and Mock retired. Maybe nothhing, but I am curious. UNC produces too little for having a head coach and a guy who is pretty much doing the job of a head coach without the title.

Coaches who are ready for bigger jobs:

Tim Flynn

Damion Hahn (doubt he's gettable though)

Brandon Eggum (ditto)

Eric Guerrero

Sammie Henson

Marty Morgan (inactive at the moment, but someone should call him)

On a related note, Oregon State has some explaining to do. By no means should Z get the boot, but WTF happened this year?? This cannot turn into a trend if he eants to keep coaching at OSU, let alone at all.

NDSU would be crazy to get rid of Kish. It takes more than a year or 2 to build a program

Also Jackson isn't going anywhere at Iowa State, 3 All Americans and everybody back next year and ahead of UNI who supposedly has pasted Iowa State up. We do need to keep improving

Exactly..Jackson has done a great job given the circumstances. He does need to do a better job recruiting though, but the way he has developed the talent in the room can't really be questioned.

Tim Flynn

Brandon Eggum (ditto)

Eric Guerrero

Sammie Henson

I would thing Casey Cunningham would be on a lot of short lists.

Tim Flynn

Brandon Eggum (ditto)

Eric Guerrero

Sammie Henson

I would thing Casey Cunningham would be on a lot of short lists.

You are absolutely right. Complete oversight on my part. He would be on the top of the list, right below Flynn and next to Hahn.

It not really about which schools are going to push their coaches out the door first and which wont. For the most part we should know by now that just finding a new coach for these program wont do much to change things until the administration is willing to place more emphasis on the program. It's really comes down to which administrations are going to take the necessary steps towards making wrestling a viable sport at their school. All these schools have the money available to help support their programs but they have to be willing to commit some of it towards making wrestling a viable sport at their school. If all they do is fire the coach and go about things the same way with the new coach little will end up changing with the success of the program.

Scenario #1: A few of these team will pull the trigger at the right time (this year or next) and be in a position to snag the a quality coach who can turn their program around. The administration will show that coach they are committed to supporting wrestling at their school by providing the resources available to secure solid assistant coaches and other necessary items that are needed to get the school to the next level. Maybe the administration will never be able to offer the full package that perennial top 5 wrestling schools can, but it will be enough for the coach to to develop a solid team with consistent All-Americans, a National Finals hopeful every few years, and always in contention for a top 10 finish. That to me is about all you can ask from most of these institutions. And making that change is already asking a lot of them, when compared to the school usual feelings towards supporting most secondary sports.

Scenario #2-A:One or two of these schools will pull the trigger early but will not commit to the necessary resources needed to secure the services of a big name coach. They will then likely end up with a lesser known coach who could have done an awesome job, but he will never fully develop the program because of lack of administrative support. Sure the change will cause a one or two sparks of success to occur a few years down the line, but without additional administrative backing, the success will be fleeting and they will down slide again. After about five years that coach will end up with the hard decision of leaving a high profile program and or try to make something form what he has.

Scenario #2-B: Possibly one or two of the programs will follow the same pattern as scenario 2-A, but the administration will actually give some slight additional support to the new coach after seeing the few sparks of success occur. This will will allow the program the resources needed to actually have a few All-Amerian a year and routinely finishing around the Top 15. Sure the slight boost will allow the school to develop a few diamonds in the rough occasionally, but that will be the exception rather than the rule. After the original administration support boost you will likely see little additional program support which will make it hard of the coach to get his program about a routine Top 15 finish. Yes that will equal success in wrestling overall, but the coach will never quite get the final pieces of the puzzle he needs to regularly get in the Top 10 range with a National Final's hopeful every few years.

Scenario #3: Another one of these schools will just end up taking the easy way out and promoting a head coach form within the program. The administration knows this option will allow them to say they made a move, but not actually change how they support the program. And thus in a few years things will end up just like the second scenario 2-A did.

Scenario #4: A few of they schools will just stick with status quo since they are fine with the status of the wrestling program as long as it is staying out of trouble and academically helping the institution. Once that coach finally retires several quality coaches will pass on the opportunity because of how deteriorated the program has became. And it will end up in the same situation as my second scenario 2-A did.

So we need to ask ourselves which administrations will fall into which scenario? Then you will have the answer to where these program will be in the next 5 years.

UTC- I am not saying the coach needs to go, I guess it really depends on what the expectations are. If those in charge are happy with a good showing in the So Con and no more than I guess he's their guy. If there is any hope of ever competing , even at the middle of D-1, say bottom of top 20 than a change may be in order.

A lot of schools are in the same boat.

Maybe I am dreaming, but there has to be a school, along with alumni, boosters and a AD out there that looks at Penn St, and says we want that. Especially when those schools may not have much else to offer.

You can't just all of the sudden turn a program out of thin air into Penn State as some poster suggested.

First of all, very few schools have the athletic department revenue of a Penn State (thank 100K+ in attendance at football games for that).

Nobody is going to have the fertile access to in-state talent of a Penn State. Just look at the number of All-Americans that Pennsylvania high school alumni produced.

Are there some programs out there that can do better given the revenue of their athletic department and (potential) access to wrestling talent? Absolutely. But that goes back to the "prioritization" conversation.

It has been all over boards all year, MSU, IU and Purdue need to make changes. They are wrestling in the Big and it is embarrassing for their showings. These Administrations must be happy with status quo. Goldman and Minkle have been there for years and not producing its time the Big Ten puts some pressure on these schools to perform

Maybe I am dreaming, but there has to be a school, along with alumni, boosters and a AD out there that looks at Penn St, and says we want that. Especially when those schools may not have much else to offer.

I think Michigan is trying to do this right now. They have new facilities and brought in a high profile assistant coach. They have been recruiting excellent; just need to put it all together now.