Sign in to follow this  
mot

Head coaches that need to go.

As a Purdue alumnus, I can say with total confidence that Hinkle is a coach who cares for the total development of his wrestlers (on and off the mat) and has regularly improved the guys that they get. I really feel that the missing piece at Purdue is recruiting. If they could retain the top IN talent or secure an out of state stud on a annual basis, their performance would be greatly elevated. Bringing in a top flight assistant (probably 165 on up) would be a great compliment to the current assets that they have. It really needs to be a name that resonates with the HS kids today. I always see SHP quote the "recruit, retain, develop" mantra of coaching (and I agree)... IMHO, if Purdue could improve the first aspect, I think we'd see it pay back 10-fold.

As a Purdue alumnus, I can say with total confidence that Hinkle is a coach who cares for the total development of his wrestlers (on and off the mat) and has regularly improved the guys that they get. I really feel that the missing piece at Purdue is recruiting. If they could retain the top IN talent or secure an out of state stud on a annual basis, their performance would be greatly elevated. Bringing in a top flight assistant (probably 165 on up) would be a great compliment to the current assets that they have. It really needs to be a name that resonates with the HS kids today. I always see SHP quote the "recruit, retain, develop" mantra of coaching (and I agree)... IMHO, if Purdue could improve the first aspect, I think we'd see it pay back 10-fold.

Agree.

The reason I mention Purdue, is just as you stated. With the state of the program and staff at IU, Purdue should already have the upper hand in recruiting in state. Not sure why the IU issues have not led to the improvement on the recruiting front at Purdue. Goldman has been deadman walking for a while and can not bring in a qualified assistant to help. In state recruits should be an easy pick for Purdue.

Either way we need the performance of IU, MSU and Purdue to turn around for our conference

ASU needed to Lane Kiffin Shawn Charles yesterday. Have his walking papers waiting once he arrived back in Arizona. It's shameful that ASU finishes 50 something in the country. A few years ago people were mad that Ortiz had degraded the program to the point of not having at least one AA. Now we're struggling for just 1 NQ? They need to get rid of Charles yesterday and find a coach who isn't going to change out his staff every few years. As best as I can tell the run of assistant coaches who've been through since Charles arrived: Ben Askren, Raymond Jordan, Bryan Snyder, Brian Stith, Aaron Simpson, Travis Pascoe, Tyrell Todd. I may be missing a few others. But if you can't keep quality assistant coaches and have that much constant turnover, it says something. Charles isn't a bad guy, he just shouldn't be a head coach for a D-I program. He got hired due to sentiment, since he's an alumni and all. The best coaches ASU had weren't alumni. Ironically they both came from the same school. They need to hire somebody from a wrestling hotbed who is willing to go and recruit those places. Not try to bank on guys from places like Georgia, Alabama, Alaska, etc. Troy Letters would be the guy I'd go for.

You may be right about ASU, but just hiring someone from a hotbed is not the answer. Look at Iowa board, those guys are packing Morningsides bags, Simmons IU has produced nothing where ever he has coached.

Minnesota has built a program with stable assistants who do not look to be in the limelight instead of their kids

What happens at ASU when Fresno starts their program

ASU needed to Lane Kiffin Shawn Charles yesterday. Have his walking papers waiting once he arrived back in Arizona. It's shameful that ASU finishes 50 something in the country. A few years ago people were mad that Ortiz had degraded the program to the point of not having at least one AA. Now we're struggling for just 1 NQ? They need to get rid of Charles yesterday and find a coach who isn't going to change out his staff every few years. As best as I can tell the run of assistant coaches who've been through since Charles arrived: Ben Askren, Raymond Jordan, Bryan Snyder, Brian Stith, Aaron Simpson, Travis Pascoe, Tyrell Todd. I may be missing a few others. But if you can't keep quality assistant coaches and have that much constant turnover, it says something. Charles isn't a bad guy, he just shouldn't be a head coach for a D-I program. He got hired due to sentiment, since he's an alumni and all. The best coaches ASU had weren't alumni. Ironically they both came from the same school. They need to hire somebody from a wrestling hotbed who is willing to go and recruit those places. Not try to bank on guys from places like Georgia, Alabama, Alaska, etc. Troy Letters would be the guy I'd go for.

I thought this would be the year they turned the corner. I was wrong. I do suspect that they'll be better next year, simply because they were hammered by injuries this season, but, especially with a new Athletic Director at the school, you have to think that the Arizona State program is at DefCon 1.

Why would they be any better next year? That's all anyone has heard. Wait until next year, wait until next year. Most of Shawn's recruits have not panned out. The guys who have had success were guys Ortiz recruited or who transferred here. Jenkins coming here had more to do with the fact he had buddies from high school here like Te Edwards. In the 6 years Shawn Charles has been the coach at ASU, not a single athlete he has recruited to the program has been an All American. Robles was a walk on during the Ortiz era, Jenkins was a transfer, and Levi was a transfer from Bakersfield. Outside of those 3 there has not been an All American at ASU in the past 6 years. Let's look at his recruiting class from 4 years ago.

Top Recruits: (133) #28 Louis Trujillo-Rio Rancho, NM, (141) #68 Nathan Hoffer-Wasilia, AK, (149) #83 Joel Smith-Lawrenceville, GA, (141 )#142 Shane McGough-Scottsdale, AZ, (197) Tommy Burriel-Clovis CA

Transfers: (149) Bubba Jenkins-Virginia Beach, VA (Penn State), (149) Luke Ashmore-Forney, TX (Oklahoma State), (197) Luke Macchiaroli-Tempe, AZ (Penn State)

Of those only 1 is still with the program. Joel Smith who did not qualify this year as the runner up at 157. The rest quit, transferred or graduated. This was also the last class in recent years that was even in the top 25. In last year's recruiting ASU didn't have a single high school recruit in the top 50 seniors. They had 2 in the top 200, their highest being like number 88.

Of those, I believe that Jenkins, Macchiaroli, Hoffer, McGough were all NQs at one point and that Burriel and Ashmore were both starters for a while.

If you can tell me if there's any other successful coach with that kind of turnover on his roster, I'd like to see him.

You can't just all of the sudden turn a program out of thin air into Penn State as some poster suggested.

First of all, very few schools have the athletic department revenue of a Penn State (thank 100K+ in attendance at football games for that).

Nobody is going to have the fertile access to in-state talent of a Penn State. Just look at the number of All-Americans that Pennsylvania high school alumni produced.

Are there some programs out there that can do better given the revenue of their athletic department and (potential) access to wrestling talent? Absolutely. But that goes back to the "prioritization" conversation.

Penn State also has former wrestlers who are now donors with really, really deep pockets. Forget millions, thinks hundreds of millions. It helps.

This just adds to what you wrote, all of which is absolutely true and accurate.

wow look at the Nebraska thread, they are screaming for changes. They finish 4th in Big Ten and 11th in NCAA and the fans are screaming for a change. This just shows the different tiers in the Big Ten and the different expectations.

MSU, IU and Purdue should be glad they do not have these fans.