Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Freshman champs Tsirtsis and Cox

An amazing story for both of them. Both from lesser-known states: Indiana and Missouri.

Tsirtsis. Tsirtsis's style is not flashy, and he does not look like a physical specimen, but he does the fundamentals very well. He stays calm, sticks to his game plan, and seems unshakable. I don't know how his career will shake out, but a national title as a freshman bodes very well for the next three years. A number of guys at this weight are graduating, but a number are not: Houdashelt, Dardanes, Sueflohn, Kindig, Sako, Minotti, etc. Hunter Stieber will also be back. It will be interesting to see how Tsirtsis's battles with these guys pan out in the future.

Cox. I've seen less of Cox, but it seems like he's fun to watch. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like he has some run to pack a little more muscle on. Also, Cox's weight class clears out a little more than Tsirtsis's weight class, but he'll have some guys returning too: Gadson, Schiller, and Burak. He'll also have incoming freshman Kyle Snyder to contend with. It'll be fun to watch Cox compete in the future.

The only way Cox can pack more muscle on is if he bumps up to go heavy, which might be in the cards, time will tell. He doesn't have an ounce of room at 197. He is an absolute monster as a sucked down heavy.

Kudos to Tsirtsis. Very, very impressive indeed. That said, my money is on Hunter Stieber to beat him every time next year.

I picked Tsirtsis to win before the tourney. I really took notice of him when he beat Darrion Caldwell soundly albeit in freestyle. Still he was much younger and even then tremendously poised and solid. His brother got all the hype and I think many underestimated him because of the lack of success Alex had relative to expectations. Well flying under the radar a bit seem to work out just fine! Congrats!

As for Cox he talked the talk and walked the walk. I always love to see that!

Word from who? They redshirted Waters this year to help make a run next year, when they'll be loaded. Cox may take an Olympic redshirt his jr. yr., but I haven't heard anyone talk about one next year. Not saying it can't happen, but it would make no sense.

His brother got all the hype and I think many underestimated him because of the lack of success Alex had relative to expectations. Well flying under the radar a bit seem to work out just fine! Congrats!

Alex and Jason had similar high school careers. I have no reason to think Jason was any better coming out of high school than Alex was. But there is already a difference in results.

My guess is Alex's problem was mental. Being one of only two undefeated Indiana high school wrestlers ever, he probably put a ton of pressure on himself, which is tough to deal with when you're facing D1 talent for the first time, plus the wrath of Hawkeye fans and Kentucky Mudflap.

Jason's advantage was that after he saw Alex's journey, he could put his high school accomplishments in perspective and expect to face setbacks in college. That translates into putting much less pressure on himself. He has also had an AA older brother in his corner, which is also a huge advantage Alex didn't have.

Both Alex and Jason are good guys. It just goes to show how subtle things can make a big difference.

Jason's advantage was that after he saw Alex's journey, he could put his high school accomplishments in perspective and expect to face setbacks in college. That translates into putting much less pressure on himself. He has also had an AA older brother in his corner, which is also a huge advantage Alex didn't have.

I think this more than about anything else is the key to Jason's success so quickly. He has benefited in the last few few years of having the on and off the mat wisdom of Alex. This has done a great deal in helping him prepare for the national spotlight, the college grind, and other aspects of life. Not only in what he should be doing, but also as a living example of what mistakes to avoid along the way. That guidance has make Jason on of the top wrestling in the country coming out of high school, probably helped in his decision to pick Northwesterns coaching staff to guide him, and has helped center/ground Jason as he competed the last two season in college. On the other hand Alex did not have this same close mentor available to him during the crucial years of ending high school and while he was away at Iowa. Alex may not have ever panned out at a college star, but it will be due in part the guidance of Alex's that Jason is turning into a college stud.

Word from who? They redshirted Waters this year to help make a run next year, when they'll be loaded. Cox may take an Olympic redshirt his jr. yr., but I haven't heard anyone talk about one next year. Not saying it can't happen, but it would make no sense.
from Cox. He told one of his competitors that this is his only year at 197. I could have mispoken on the redshirt next season but can't remember for certain. This was prior to the national tournament so his plans could have changed

Hard to say Indiana and Missouri are lesser known states. From a prep wrestling standpoint, they're borderline top ten.

Tsirtsis and Cox have also been highly productive wrestlers in terms of Fargo and the such.

I think Jason got a benefit that Alex didn't, and that was a redshirt year, while (if I recall correctly) Alex had to start right off the bat. That is of course in addition to the ability to live and learn through the experience and knowledge of his older brother.

I have stood beside Cox numerous times and he has never looked huge to me. I would guess that while practicing and not cutting weight he would weigh 210-15. When wrestling Heflin who was at 174 last year he looked NO bigger. In fact i don't think he was bigger than anyone he wrestled.

Alex not redshirting was big IMO. He was a high school stud but needed that redshirt. The redshirt year for J. Tsirtsis seemed to be very beneficial. Lets remember over the summer he beat Retherford pretty handily in freestyle twice. I thought it was pretty interesting that Tsirtsis got hit for stalling against Kindig, not sure either of those wrestlers were stalling as they were both pretty aggressive for a 1-1 score, but right after that he really went on the attack.

Tsirstis' ending to his semifinal win was epic! Blood was just pouring down his face after the escape with him celebrating. Just that image stuck out to me more than anything, and will for a while. That's what's wrestling is!

I have stood beside Cox numerous times and he has never looked huge to me. I would guess that while practicing and not cutting weight he would weigh 210-15. When wrestling Heflin who was at 174 last year he looked NO bigger. In fact i don't think he was bigger than anyone he wrestled.

He was weighing a good 15 lbs more than that before they chose to cut him down to 197. He had planned to go heavy when he first got to college and was preparing accordingly, then had to take off some mass when his coaches decided on 197. He is not that tall, but the dude is as dense as they come. Cox reminds me of Kevin Randleman, except taller and bigger.

from Cox. He told one of his competitors that this is his only year at 197. I could have mispoken on the redshirt next season but can't remember for certain. This was prior to the national tournament so his plans could have changed

His plans have changed once already as he was to reshirt this year and wrestle 285 for the next 4. - I agree with KCMO2 that Missouri will throw everything they have at next years tournament which they will host in STL. I think that will mean Cox at 285 and Willie Micklus at 197.

Go Tigers

You're kidding right? He was absolutely massive compared to almost everyone he wrestled. Hes built like a brick sh*thouse.

How big is Micklus now? Might he be the guy to go heavy next year? Wasn't he at 220 in HS?

It just seems like too much of a gamble to take your 197 champ and move him up just to fit a freshman into the lineup.

Selfishly, I want to see Cox vs. Snyder.

Micklus was going to wrestle 184 at an open this year. That being said he did not make the weight. High School is not a very good gage as these guys can win eating donuts everyday in high school. Cox won the Missouri high School Heavy Weight tiltle with out taking a deep breath and he could have made 195 easily. We saw Micklus and he looked more like a candidate for 184 than 285 by far.