Sign in to follow this  
Werwa

Ships passing in the night

This is always a little bit of a sad time for me when the season ends and seniors who were once so revered and talked about simply disappear from the spot light. Now I know some will stay with wrestling as assistant coaches or international style wrestlers, but even then they won't be the talked about wrestling celebrities they once were. Guys whose names were plastered all over the message boards being analyzed and critiqued with predictions on how the will do just go away. We the fans move on to the next crop of college wrestling stars and begin to make predictions on how the schools will do with different names in the line up. I know this is the way things are, but still it makes me a little sad. I wonder if anyone else has these feelings.

This is always a little bit of a sad time for me when the season ends and seniors who were once so revered and talked about simply disappear from the spot light. Now I know some will stay with wrestling as assistant coaches or international style wrestlers, but even then they won't be the talked about wrestling celebrities they once were. Guys whose names were plastered all over the message boards being analyzed and critiqued with predictions on how the will do just go away. We the fans move on to the next crop of college wrestling stars and begin to make predictions on how the schools will do with different names in the line up. I know this is the way things are, but still it makes me a little sad. I wonder if anyone else has these feelings.

Nice post. I feel the same way.

Great post! Thats why the title of "wrestler" says it all to those who know what it means. To quote a military movie that seems to be fitting:

“For all those who have been down range, to us, and to those like us, Damn Few.”

Well said.

A champion today, just a regular random guy tomorrow.

I remember when I was at a freestyle tourney and the guy working the entrance wouldn't let a former olympic champ in because he didn't have his tournament pass.

Dude had no clue he was dealing with one of the greatest athletes in our sport and neither did most of the other people in line. Guy was just an average Joe off the mat.

Imagine if some punk was hassling a Michael Jordan or a Tom Brady about getting into a venue.

Would never happen. Those guys go through their own private entrance to their executive suites, not wait in line among the masses.

Well said.

A champion today, just a regular random guy tomorrow.

I remember when I was at a freestyle tourney and the guy working the entrance wouldn't let a former olympic champ in because he didn't have his tournament pass.

Dude had no clue he was dealing with one of the greatest athletes in our sport and neither did most of the other people in line. Guy was just an average Joe off the mat.

Imagine if some punk was hassling a Michael Jordan or a Tom Brady about getting into a venue.

Would never happen. Those guys go through their own private entrance to their executive suites, not wait in line among the masses.

#1 I did recognize him right off.

#2 He''s is not an Olympic Champ

#3 I'll be danged if Jadidi is getting onto the floor without a pass during my watch.

#3 I'll be danged if Jadidi is getting onto the floor without a pass during my watch.

Please son, you'd hold the door open for him as he strolls right in.

http://tehranpress.com/images/newsimages/images/139206121449134691095464(2).jpg

That's a most interesting man!

Please son, you'd hold the door open for him as he strolls right in.

http://tehranpress.com/images/newsimages/images/139206121449134691095464(2).jpg

I love the big-ass pinky ring on his right hand.

Jadidi did have his hand raised after the gold medal match....that usually means Olympic champ. Right? In any case Jadidi was not a wrestler who faded silently into the night, thanks to the tireless efforts of DF!

Jadidi did have his hand raised after the gold medal match....that usually means Olympic champ. Right? In any case Jadidi was not a wrestler who faded silently into the night, thanks to the tireless efforts of DF!

Ahem, he did not have his hand raised, he raised it himself.

I didn't say who raised it. I said he had it raised...and if you look closely the ref has his wrist around Jadidi's arm, when Jadidi raised his hand. Lol I'm sure someone has a still photo of what I'm talking about.

(didn't you get the memo? Everone is pretending they are Superold for 24 hours and arguing every minute detail to prove they are right)

I didn't say who raised it. I said he had it raised...and if you look closely the ref has his wrist around Jadidi's arm, when Jadidi raised his hand. Lol I'm sure someone has a still photo of what I'm talking about.

(didn't you get the memo? Everone is pretending they are Superold for 24 hours and arguing every minute detail to prove they are right)

(I get you on the parenthesized point and will now post facto argue that that is exactly what I was doing too ;) )

Saying he had it raised does not include raising it oneself since that would be an active act rather than a passive one implied by saying he had it raised.

(I get you on the parenthesized point and will now post facto argue that that is exactly what I was doing too ;) )

Saying he had it raised does not include raising it oneself since that would be an active act rather than a passive one implied by saying he had it raised.

Bull squat. "the coach asked if there were any questions. Matburn had his hand raised (he had his hand raised=active/nobody raised it for him). The coach then pointed at Matburn and said, 'yes, what is it?' Matburn replied, 'can we grow moustaches for the state tourney?'"

Jadsarm_zps53682f23.gif

Hahaha speaking of mustaches....did anyone notice that Joe Colon shaved his stache after his loss to Graff? I couldn't help but to think that Colon sold his soul for third place? He should have kept the mustache and taken a dive/defaulted to 6th place.

Ahem, he did not have his hand raised, he raised it himself.

I see no reason to doubt Matburn's statements. He mentions zero things that he felt contributed to Jadidi getting his hand raised, and he didn't mention raising it himself. I see so reason to look for other causes that he didn't mention. Bottom line to me, was that Angle was well enough to get his hand raised first, and he didn't. Poor hand raising technique and tactics should have cost Angle the match.

Hahaha speaking of mustaches....did anyone notice that Joe Colon shaved his stache after his loss to Ramos? I couldn't help but to think that Colon sold his soul for third place? He should have kept the mustache and taken a dive/defaulted to 6th place.

you mean after his loss to Graff, not Ramos.