Sign in to follow this  
russling

2015 True Freshman to AA

^^Also Cornell's Gabe Dean and Brian Realbuto are 2014 NCAA AA's as true frosh.

Didn't Dean & Realbuto graduate high school in 2012? They may be true frosh from an NCAA eligibility stand point but to me that is not the same as being a true frosh. They've already had a year to grow and mature and practice with college wrestlers.

^^Also Cornell's Gabe Dean and Brian Realbuto are 2014 NCAA AA's as true frosh.

Didn't Dean & Realbuto graduate high school in 2012? They may be true frosh from an NCAA eligibility stand point but to me that is not the same as being a true frosh. They've already had a year to grow and mature and practice with college wrestlers.

After HS, Dean lived in Ithaca and trained at the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club and received tutelage from coaches like Simaz and others. He deferred enrollment at Cornell for a year. So technically he is a true frosh but Cornell had him "stashed" for a year. In his year at Finger Lakes he placed at the Binghamton, Edinboro and Mat Town Opens...and obviously learned a lot.

By the way, not a shot at Dean. He's a stud. Didn't Snyder just spend a year in Colorado too?

Anyway, just sharing some extra info. ;-)

Difference is that Snyder is still in high school. He is finishing his senior year in Colorado. The Cornell guys take a Grey shirt and in my book that's the same as a redshirt no matter how you slice it. Dake did not take a Grey shirt.

^^NOVALION, What NCAA calls true frosh obviously is not what all the fans call true frosh. In EIWA we have guys who graduate then are enrolled at the Navy Prep School for a year, the Military Academy Prep School for a year, defer enrollment and wrestle for a club a year, or, at Lehigh, for example, young Doug Vollaro was enrolled part-time spring semester of 2012, so his NCAA clock did not start to run. Ain't nobody breaking NCAA rules on these year-offs that are not technically redshirts.

Yeah, more impressive to become NCAA AA when teenager right out of high school. Agree!

2014 had Cox, Rutherford, Cruz, Dance

Yes add Gabe Dean and Brian Realbuto and that makes 6 AAs. Is this a growing trend with true freshman being that good or was this just a great year? Other than Snyder who else has a decent shot to AA next season?

By the way, not a shot at Dean. He's a stud. Didn't Snyder just spend a year in Colorado too?

Difference is that Snyder is still in high school. He is finishing his senior year in Colorado. The Cornell guys take a Grey shirt and in my book that's the same as a redshirt no matter how you slice it. Dake did not take a Grey shirt.

So Gabe Dean's situation is really more like that of Jason Tsirtsis?

Interesting, www.d1collegewrestling.net has Tsirtsis listed as Freshman (RS) and Dean simply as Freshman .

Ivy League do not award athletic scholarships. But they do award academic scholarship. In other words, Cornell do not redshirt at all. Fingers Lake Club is good way to greyshirt and start right away afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How should Snyder be treated then? He'll be a true freshman technically, but he gets to wrestle/train with former college stars and top senior level guys on a regular basis. Should he be viewed the same way Retherford, Cox, and Coon were this year?

Ivy League do not award athletic scholarships. But they do award academic scholarship.

The Ivy League actually doesn't award academic scholarships either.

I don't think you are say Cornell wrestlers are paying the $60K per year. There must be some creative Ivy way to compensate them.

Do they figure out a way to make them look "needs based"?

How should Snyder be treated then? He'll be a true freshman technically, but he gets to wrestle/train with former college stars and top senior level guys on a regular basis. Should he be viewed the same way Retherford, Cox, and Coon were this year?

I'm sure Snyder isn't the only HS wrestler in the country who gets the chance to work out at an OTC.

Ivy League do not award athletic scholarships. But they do award academic scholarship.

The Ivy League actually doesn't award academic scholarships either.

I don't think you are say Cornell wrestlers are paying the $60K per year. There must be some creative Ivy way to compensate them.

Do they figure out a way to make them look "needs based"?

"Need" is based on a formula. Whether you wrestle or not has nothing to do with it. With that said, roughly two thirds of Cornell students receive some form of need based aid.

I'm sure Snyder isn't the only HS wrestler in the country who gets the chance to work out at an OTC.

Then how should they be treated?

They should be treated like traditional true freshman, meaning it's the first year they are competing AND attending said College/University.

Another question is would a wrestler transferring from any Ivy league school be able to red shirt at a State school even if they took a "grey shirt" already?

Make the question as follows, "How many 2014 High School graduates will AA next year?"

Dean and Realbuto did not graduate high school the same year as Cox, Dance, Retherford and Cruz. Therefore, they had a year to physically mature and adjust to college wrestling.

Snyder is a 2014 high school graduate, the same as Marstellar, Nevills, etc. While his training situation is different, he did not graduate from high school last year and defer college enrollment for a year like Dean and Realbuto.