Sign in to follow this  
Northern_Fan

Flying Tiger and PA-Fan

I agree that Dake's style will likely result in some close scoring matches. That could turn out to be his Achilles' heel if someone can hit a big move on him (and a big move in a tight match could just be a takedown). That said, Dake has shown an uncanny ability to scramble out of trouble. Should be an interesting season.

Actually I think this match actually makes Dake fans who bashed Taylor look stupid. After the FS match, all I heard was Dake destroyed Taylor, he will dominate him in folk. Dake will crush Taylor either way. Dake Dake Dake, Taylor overrated this overrated that. Well Taylor more than proved he is on the same level as Dake in folk. He lost a toss up ride out match. He pushed the action, looked good, and more than capable of beating Dake. The people trashing Taylor stating Dake is on another level in Folk, actually need to eat crow as well.

Well said. Has ever so much gloating been done over a match in which the winning wrestler was never remotely close to scoring an offensive point?

Well said. Has ever so much gloating been done over a match in which the winning wrestler was never remotely close to scoring an offensive point?

I wonder what Abbas Jadidi thinks about the Dake Taylor match?

Were are they??? So they can tell us we were right when we said Dake is better right now. I got to laugh at them since they were on some "magic potion" to think that Dake would get killed in Folkstyle,

If you guys can come clean I wont throw it in your face any more:lol:

I really wish I saw this sooner. I have been a little busy and not around, not ducking anything...that is silly...especially given the actual predictions I made and things I said (as opposed to the ridiculous straw man you are building around me) Please show me when I said "Dake would get killed in freestyle".

Check the prediction thread. I said I saw the match one of two ways...

High scoring (Taylor pace) and Taylor wins tight. OR. Low scoring (Dake pace) and Dake wins tight.

I was leaning towards the Taylor scenario...obviously that didn't happen. But for you to make it out to seem that I said anything close to what you implied is just nonsense. Check the threads and quote me...it is there.

Here, I will do the work for you. From the Prediction Thread, I said:

"I have a really really realllllllyy hard time picturing Taylor being shut out, by anyone.

Onto a prediction. I see it one of two ways.

1) Taylor wins something like 9-6 (fairly high scoring)

2) Dake wins something like 3-2 (fairly low scoring)"

I think I was pretty spot on. Now I did see Taylor opening it up more and scoring and winning, I was wrong. But the way you make it sound just makes you look stupid.

Furthermore, and the most important point here, is that I would LOVE to know how a 2-1 OT rideout decision for Dake somehow validates the side of people saying things like "Dake pinned him in FS, he is head and shoulders above Taylor in folk too, he will crush him, etc, etc" and at the same time invalidates the people (like myself) saying the FS result DOES NOT translate to folkstyle. IT OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT.

A win is a win, and congrats to Dake for getting it done....but if you want to say a ride-out victory in the All Star meet is decisive to prove that Dake is the better folkstyler...you are being ridiculously biased.

Im still willing to bet on Taylor. Even more so in fact, because I'd be getting laid odds!

Were are they??? So they can tell us we were right when we said Dake is better right now. I got to laugh at them since they were on some "magic potion" to think that Dake would get killed in Folkstyle,

I really wish I saw this sooner. I have been a little busy and not around, not ducking anything...that is silly...especially given the actual predictions I made and things I said (as opposed to the ridiculous straw man you are building around me) Please show me when I said "Dake would get killed in freestyle".

High scoring (Taylor pace) and Taylor wins tight. OR. Low scoring (Dake pace) and Dake wins tight.

I was leaning towards the Taylor scenario...obviously that didn't happen. But for you to make it out to seem that I said anything close to what you implied is just nonsense. Check the threads and quote me...it is there.

"I have a really really realllllllyy hard time picturing Taylor being shut out, by anyone.

2) Dake wins something like 3-2 (fairly low scoring)

I think I was pretty spot on. Now I did see Taylor opening it up more and scoring and winning, I was wrong. But the way you make it sound just makes you look stupid.

Furthermore, and the most important point here, is that I would LOVE to know how a 2-1 OT rideout decision for Dake somehow validates the side of people saying things like "Dake pinned him in FS, he is head and shoulders above Taylor in folk too, he will crush him, etc, etc" and at the same time invalidates the people (like myself) saying the FS result DOES NOT translate to folkstyle. IT OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT.

A win is a win, and congrats to Dake for getting it done....but if you want to say a ride-out victory in the All Star meet is decisive to prove that Dake is the better folkstyler...you are being ridiculously biased.

Im still willing to bet on Taylor. Even more so in fact, because I'd be getting laid odds!

Just let it go bro. People just love to hate. And if they truly do think that validates everything, then it just speaks volume of their knowledge for the sport. As a huge Taylor fan, I have give credit where it is due many times, and said Dake is undoubtly great. However a 2-1 win in the 3rd OT period does not cement jack crap! Had it been the other way around, we know what would be said.

WE ARE!

There was really only one thing you were wrong on in your prediction, and that was: "I have a really really realllllllyy hard time picturing Taylor being shut out, by anyone." To be honest I thought he would score at least once, but I also thought Dake would score. Very tentative match. Almost like they don't want to show all their cards before March.

The other thing that I would disagree with you on is when you say the freestyle match meant NOTHING. It did mean something, but only if interpreted in the proper context. The 5-0, pin doesn't translate to folkstyle. And to be honest, I think if they wrestled another freestyle match, it wouldn't be that lopsided. I could see Dake winning a 1-0, 1-0 match. Folks have been getting far too bent out of shape (in both directions) from isolated matches. We all know that one match can be lopsided, and then the rematch can have a completely different outcome.

Here's what I think the take home message from the freestyle match was: Ignore the 5-0, pin aspect of it. Taylor was not able to simply reach out and grab Dake's ankles, or move him around the mat and make him look bad, like he does to everyone else he wrestles. His NCAA finals match last year looked like drilling in the practice room. But Dake was able to win the handfighting game and control the ties, so Taylor's offense didn't work. Subtract the exposure in both periods and the pin from that match, and you'd have a pretty boring 1-0, 1-0 match. And that's basically what their All Star match was like. My basis for putting weight on the freestyle result was not the result itself, but details of the match independent of the scoring. I definitely didn't think Dake would blow Taylor out of the water in folkstyle, but I have strongly disagreed with those who have said that the result we saw at the OTT was completely dependent on the style. The score was dependent on the style, but the reason Dake won was not. For the record though, obviously these two guys are very close to each other.

There was really only one thing you were wrong on in your prediction, and that was: "I have a really really realllllllyy hard time picturing Taylor being shut out, by anyone." To be honest I thought he would score at least once, but I also thought Dake would score. Very tentative match. Almost like they don't want to show all their cards before March.

The other thing that I would disagree with you on is when you say the freestyle match meant NOTHING. It did mean something, but only if interpreted in the proper context. The 5-0, pin doesn't translate to folkstyle. And to be honest, I think if they wrestled another freestyle match, it wouldn't be that lopsided. I could see Dake winning a 1-0, 1-0 match. Folks have been getting far too bent out of shape (in both directions) from isolated matches. We all know that one match can be lopsided, and then the rematch can have a completely different outcome.

Here's what I think the take home message from the freestyle match was: Ignore the 5-0, pin aspect of it. Taylor was not able to simply reach out and grab Dake's ankles, or move him around the mat and make him look bad, like he does to everyone else he wrestles. His NCAA finals match last year looked like drilling in the practice room. But Dake was able to win the handfighting game and control the ties, so Taylor's offense didn't work. Subtract the exposure in both periods and the pin from that match, and you'd have a pretty boring 1-0, 1-0 match. And that's basically what their All Star match was like. My basis for putting weight on the freestyle result was not the result itself, but details of the match independent of the scoring. I definitely didn't think Dake would blow Taylor out of the water in folkstyle, but I have strongly disagreed with those who have said that the result we saw at the OTT was completely dependent on the style. The score was dependent on the style, but the reason Dake won was not. For the record though, obviously these two guys are very close to each other.

I understand your analysis, and I respect it very much. I have had very rational exchanges on these boards with you, so I know you are not spouting the nonsense that the guy who started this thread is.

I have to disagree only in that I dont believe I ever said the FS result meant nothing, only that it didnt mean as much as made out to and it definitely does not translate directly into folk.

And yes, I was certainly wrong saying that I had a really really hard time seeing Taylor get shut out, at least in this one match. Even after seeing it I still have a hard time thinking it happens again haha.

Dake wrestled a masterful match to neutralize Taylor...but something tells me that if they happened to meet on the raised mat in March he would be forced to be a bit more offensive...

The part of your response I bolded I think is spot on....I am as certain as I can reasonably be that they both were a bit tentative...

I understand your analysis, and I respect it very much. I have had very rational exchanges on these boards with you, so I know you are not spouting the nonsense that the guy who started this thread is.

I have to disagree only in that I dont believe I ever said the FS result meant nothing, only that it didnt mean as much as made out to and it definitely does not translate directly into folk.

And yes, I was certainly wrong saying that I had a really really hard time seeing Taylor get shut out, at least in this one match. Even after seeing it I still have a hard time thinking it happens again haha.

Dake wrestled a masterful match to neutralize Taylor...but something tells me that if they happened to meet on the raised mat in March he would be forced to be a bit more offensive...

The part of your response I bolded I think is spot on....I am as certain as I can reasonably be that they both were a bit tentative...

I think we have a lot that we agree on. And I do have a hard time believing that a rematch in March would be 2-1 in rideouts. Both guys were wrestling not to lose in the All Star match. But then again, maybe an NCAA finals match would be the same. Plenty of guys wrestle not to lose in the NCAA finals as well. I can't see Taylor trying something risky against Dake, because if you press the action too much and give up a takedown, that might be the match right there. After seeing the All Star match, I really can't envision a high scoring match between those two. Maybe a combined total of 6 points instead of 3, but not many.

Here's what I think the take home message from the freestyle match was: Ignore the 5-0, pin aspect of it.

If one of us PSU fans wrote this, we would be called every name in the book. Gonzo and Scribe would eat this comment alive. I'm glad to hear it from a respected poster such as yourself.

I think we have a lot that we agree on. And I do have a hard time believing that a rematch in March would be 2-1 in rideouts. Both guys were wrestling not to lose in the All Star match. But then again, maybe an NCAA finals match would be the same. Plenty of guys wrestle not to lose in the NCAA finals as well. I can't see Taylor trying something risky against Dake, because if you press the action too much and give up a takedown, that might be the match right there. After seeing the All Star match, I really can't envision a high scoring match between those two. Maybe a combined total of 6 points instead of 3, but not many.

Id definitely have to say that I dont really think either one of these guys would go out and wrestle to not lose the NCAA Finals. I dont think it is in either of their natures honestly...

You are a little cry baby man you were not close at all...Bragging that Taylor would really get KD You and your magic boy loose admit it and let it go..You have been throwing it in our faces that DT will get him in folk, DT wants to win a gold in 2016 is what he said in the interview. Thats not going to happen if he can't beat Dake or Howe and Freestyle matters more than folk cause that is his ultimate goal.

Back to my point your and Flying Tiger were way off on this and now its time you eat crap

You are a little cry baby man you were not close at all...Bragging that Taylor would really get KD You and your magic boy loose admit it and let it go..You have been throwing it in our faces that DT will get him in folk, DT wants to win a gold in 2016 is what he said in the interview. Thats not going to happen if he can't beat Dake or Howe and Freestyle matters more than folk cause that is his ultimate goal.

Back to my point your and Flying Tiger were way off on this and now its time you eat crap

Are you just going to continue to accuse me of saying things I have never said, even when I give you direct quotes showing you what I actually said in contrast to your accusations?

Please show me when/where I said anything like:

- "Bragging that Taylor would really get KD"

- "throwing it in our faces that DT will get him in folk"

- Or any of the other nonsense you are accusing me of.

You can't just assert that I said all these things when I, in fact, didn't.

And as for me not being close? I'd say my prediction of a 3-2 loss (if Taylor were to lose) vs. the 2-1 actual outcome is pretty close...

Read dsnc471's post and see how to rationally make an argument / have a discussion - otherwise you will just continue to make yourself look stupid.

The whole premise of this thread is nonsense.

FT, PA Fan, Wrestle09, and skikayaker all annoy me sometimes but no need to to call them out about the DT match.

Who said what is all blah blah blah and doesn't do justice to the talents of either wrestler.

I think we have all seen enough of this.

The whole premise of this thread is nonsense.

FT, PA Fan, Wrestle09, and skikayaker all annoy me sometimes but no need to to call them out about the DT match.

Who said what is all blah blah blah and doesn't do justice to the talents of either wrestler.

I think we have all seen enough of this.

Call me out, that's fine. But do it on things I actually said. Otherwise I agree...it is total nonsense.