Sign in to follow this  
tigerfan9311

Do we have a PED problem?

Ever hear of the UFC? I'm not saying our guys in that organization are juicing or were juicing in college in anticipation of the potential wealth to come, but to say there's no strong incentive is disingenuous.

still not sure i follow the incentive. juice in college for the perceived benefit it will provide if and when you graduate and transition into UFC?

Were you under the impression that football and baseball players only got on the gear after they made it to the show?

from what i've read, athletes start looking for edges through extra legal means when theyre are trying to break into the pros or extend a career. given the slim odds of a college wrestler making decent money in MMA i would still think the incentive would be low given the health and legal risks and the monetary costs of procurement. but i have no clue what goes on and i suppose i wouldnt be shocked to learn that kids are taking PEDs in college. and of course some people are going to take PEDs even if theres no financial pay off.

I doubt PEDs are in every lockerroom, but there's no way that they aren't being used by at least a few wrestlers. I'm not accusing anybody in particular. I just mean with thousands of guys on D-1 rosters there's going to be a few guys who are usings steroids/HGH/etc...

Keep in mind to that the benefits of PEDs don't go away the moment you stop taking them. If a guy wanted to bulk up 20 pounds during the summer he could use PEDs to do that, then go clean during the season and pass any tests with no issue. But he'd still be getting the benefit of what he had been taking.

The naivete in here is pretty surprising. How can some of you look at a guy like Heflin and not just see that he's on the sauce? It's not that difficult to notice.

Not every wrestler in the finals is on something, but a good amount are and it doesn't just start in college.

I agree with ROmesone. PEDs are a problem in all sports. Wrestling is no exception. I think advances in nutrition and sport science account for some of the differences we see in builds today versus back in the day, but not all the differences.

I remember PEDs being around when I wrestled in high school and college. I doubt they went away in the last 20 years.

I'll start this post off with a couple disclaimers

1. I have never personally used steroids or associated substances (clenbuterol, HGH, etc.)

2. I know a heck of a lot of people who have/do.

It may not make financial sense for a wrestler to take steroids, but being a college wrestler in and of it self doesn't make financial sense. These athletes sacrifice an unbelievable amount and they do it because they love wrestling, love competing, and love winning. In this sense it is irrelevant whether or not there is a financial payoff to steroid use because they've already spent money on camps, wrestling gear, opportunity cost of not working, nutritious food, basic supplements, etc. that steroids is just one more drop in the bucket. On top of this, steroids are not necessarily that expensive. Sure they are if you use as much as Ronnie Coleman, but you can make a serious amount of progress spending not much more than a couple hundred a year on steroids. In fact, there are tons of steroid users who don't play sports at all. A lot don't even lift heavily. They're are all kinds of incentives to use steroids.

Also, this notion that you can recognize who's on steroids just by looking at them is largely fallacious. There are all kinds of steroids and they can do anything from helping you gain muscle to helping you burn fat. I'm willing to bet there are not a whole lot of wrestlers using dbol, but probably quite a few using tren. In addition, my guess would be clenbuterol use is quite prevalent. Actually, even if you used something like dbol or test, it wouldn't necessarily make you abnormally large. It would only do so when used in conduction with heavy lifting and a ton of food. Wrestlers generally have calorie restrictive diets and so much cardiovascular exercise that it would be near impossible for them to look unnaturally large even taking test. What the test would do though is make them stronger, leaner, more energetic, and help them recover faster.

With that said, the cases that look too good to be true probably are. There is a natural limit to how much muscle a frame can pack on. There is no such thing as a genetic freak who can look like a monster without the use of supplementation. If you think they looked like a monster in high school, it is either because you use the term monster lightly, or they were on something in high school.

As to how many wrestlers use steroids, I have no idea. Nobody really does. It is probably significantly higher than most people on here think though.

Well said, BigRed! Prices must have gone down. I spent $200 on dbol/anavar oral/liquid combo for a 10 week cycle over 25 years ago. The results were dramatic to say the least. I went from 148 lbs to 175 in 3 months.

Yah, that figure was very lowball on my part and would only apply if somebodies use is extremely minimal. However, like you experienced, it doesn't take a whole lot to make a huge amount of progress.

Am I the only guy who has Nick Heflin pop into his head everytime I read the thread title?

Yep.....

I say they are out there but not a large % of wrestlers taking PED's but I think most of us would be suprised how many wrestlers smoke dope.

The NCAA rarely tests. When they do it is a random few kids from a certain school like 4 or 5. Schools have their own testing systems, however when the NCAA comes they only test for performance enhancing drugs. Out of 5 years of being on a D1 team I only was ever once tested by the NCAA. Besides this they randomly test at NCAAs, and actually do test all of the ALL-AMERICANS believe. Also they say they test in the summer however I have never heard of it. So if the kids wanted to used PEDs in the summer, and clean their system for the season, there is a very high likelihood that they will get away with it.

NCAA drug testing is random; You find out 24 hours before. There are 3 kinds of drug tests; NCAA sanctioned, Big 12, and from the actually university. When you go to a school you sign up to that school and conferences drug testing policy and have forms with it. Big 12 is also random within a team, you know 24 hours before.you are subject to whatever terms or agreement the university you attend has for its drug testing policy.

I've heard that different tests test for different things; but they don't tell you when you go for the test; it is just listed as a drug test. Example some times they test only for performance enhancing drugs; universities will test for Street drugs....etc.

This is my understanding of it. And this is coming from current D1 athletes.

Steroids have been around for a long time. In the late 70's I remember teammates talking about who was juicing on other teams. back than the big side affect was acne on your face and or body. so you knew who was on it. I had a teammate who separated his shoulder went on steroids was back after a two week rehab and stayed on it for the rest of the season. probably biggest 118lber in the country.

today at the hs level. parents have told me their kids are on HGH because of their slow growth. meanwhile the kid is taller and bigger than the dad. HGH is very hard to test for.

however there are long term severe side effects.

Steroids have been around for a long time. In the late 70's I remember teammates talking about who was juicing on other teams. back than the big side affect was acne on your face and or body. so you knew who was on it. I had a teammate who separated his shoulder went on steroids was back after a two week rehab and stayed on it for the rest of the season. probably biggest 118lber in the country.

today at the hs level. parents have told me their kids are on HGH because of their slow growth. meanwhile the kid is taller and bigger than the dad. HGH is very hard to test for.

however there are long term severe side effects.

Yeah, steroids have been around for a long time and athletes of all types and age take them.

I'm rather surprised by the posts thinking it is rare and the "cost benefit analysis" posts...people do steroids for pure vanity reasons, one shouldn't be surprised by college athletes using them.

I've had high school (football & wrestling) and college teammates & friends that have done cycles.

From these posts I'm now wondering how many participated in college sports, people talk and eventually you'll hear about so & so using something. (Perhaps now kids have learned to shut up about it but I find that doubtful then again they aren't tweeting & facebooking it so maybe they have smartened up some).

I heard the same story from a few friends at different colleges, told they should talk to X about his workout program. What made X's workout program so different and effective? Well, X juiced.

Ha, I also had a 118lb teammate that did steroids, he'd cycle in the off season, he was absurdly strong for that weight division but he was only 5'3" or so. I've know a couple guys like that, a 103 or 112lber senior year in high school, a few years in college and they are barely getting over 120lbs, so they do a cycle or two.

And are peds a problem in our sport? Lol half our weight classes are under 170 lbs I think that answers itself

That has little to do with PED usage.

Look at the weight based sports that have heavy PED usage: weightlifting, powerlifting & bodybuilding. They all have several divisions below 170lbs.

Weightlifting: 4 of 8 divisions are below 170lbs.

Powerlifting: Varies by organization, use the WPF as an example, 11 weight divisions of which 4 are under 170lbs. 170lbs are in the middle of a 5th weight division. And some organizations have an additional light weight division at 52kgs.

Bodybuilding: 6 divisions, 2 completely under 170lbs, their middleweight division upper limit is 176lbs.

Plenty of sprinters are under 170lbs.

And lol @ the posts stating you can tell usage just by looking at a guy.

Well after further reading and thought im an idiot.

BigRed OBjoe are more knowledgable than me on steroids.

I wrestled d1 for 3 years and knew about 10 years of wrestlers, and i can only think of 1 in that time that i had heard was on roids (he was jumped 8 weight classes his sr year)

You're all crazy, there aren't even enough overly jacked wrestlers to warrant that assumption. McClure is the only suspect looking physique but you can tell from his short stocky stature its all natural, he's just a bulky guy. So NO, don't agree with the PED scare.

PEDs dont necessarily make you jacked, they enhance your performance. That could be by helping you get skinny enough to make your weight class, or give you the oxygen needed for that non stop motor/huge gas tank required to push the pace relentlessly.

I've known of athletes at the HS level juicing up, (Remember I have 5 sons, the final one now in college) and it is no secret the juicing is going on. But as Big Red mentioned earlier, it doens't necessarily mean you get huge. Before you make a dope of yourself on here lipping off about things you don't now, at least hit google and do 5 minutes of research.

LoL he began the season as the 126 pounder and was the heavyweight by the conference tournament? Please share who this individual is, he has got to have qualified for the Guiness Book of records and facts.

Or by "he was jumped 8 weight classes" did you mean dudes from 8 different weight classes jumped him and beat his a$$?

Well after further reading and thought im an idiot.

BigRed OBjoe are more knowledgable than me on steroids.

I wrestled d1 for 3 years and knew about 10 years of wrestlers, and i can only think of 1 in that time that i had heard was on roids (he was jumped 8 weight classes his sr year)

LoL he began the season as the 126 pounder and was the heavyweight by the conference tournament? Please share who this individual is, he has got to have qualified for the Guiness Book of records and facts.

Or by "he was jumped 8 weight classes" did you mean dudes from 8 different weight classes jumped him and beat his a$$?