Sign in to follow this  
hummer126

Scoring forfeits

Full disclosure - I'm a Minnesota fan. But this weekend's events got me thinking.

In a dual it makes sense to score a forfeit the same as a pin - six points for the winner.

But . . . Joey Lazor (UNI) gets hurt in his Saturday morning match with Evan Henderson (UNC), so Penn State gets 2 bonus points in the 5th place match?? This isn't Gopher whining - the same thing happened Friday when MN "earned" 2 bonus pts because Richardson (ODU) couldn't go against Nick Dardanes. There needs to be a consequence for forfeiting a match, but right now the "reward" seems to be directed randomly - and could affect the outcome of team standings in an unfairly decisive way.

What if . . . in an individual tournament, a forfeit results in a 2 point deduction from the forfeiting team's score? Wouldn't this be an improvement? Your thoughts . . .

You shouldn't penalize a team just because someone gets hurt. It's beyond their control, so making them give up points for something that was an accident is kind of stupid. If they can't go they can't go. No deducting team points is going to make someone go wrestle if they physically can't.

You shouldn't penalize a team just because someone gets hurt. It's beyond their control, so making them give up points for something that was an accident is kind of stupid. If they can't go they can't go. No deducting team points is going to make someone go wrestle if they physically can't.

particularly when, as an example, Cornell would have had to give up 4 pts for Realbuto's two med forfeits after blowing his knee in the semi-final.

Hummer.. Horrible idea. What's the difference between a forfeit and an injury default?

How does scoring a forfeit and a fall being equal in a dual meet make sense but not in a tournament?

If you take away bonus points then you could see coaches strategically withdrawing wrestlers from tournaments in order to prevent the opposing team from scoring bonus points.

Example... Let's say going INTO the 165lbs match Oklahoma State was in first place over PSU by 4.5 points. Instead of wrestling Caldwell where he could lose by a major and give the team title to PSU... They could withdraw Caldwell giving Taylor a forfeit win, but no bonus points and Okie State wins by .5

This shouldn't even be a discussion, the team race was not affected by forfeit points, so in the long run there's no point in bringing this up as a PSU vs MINN issue. You have to give a team the full bonus points for a forfeit because thats is essentially the maximum amount of points you're taking away from that team IF it's a dominating win. It kinda sucks but is the only fair way considering teams shouldn't have any incentive to pull a wrestler from a match.

I guess I wasn't clear. This ISN'T a PSU vs MN issue. I'm just wondering if there might be a better system than the status quo.

Coach Park, it makes sense in a dual because there are only two teams involved. In a tournament, a third random team gets rewarded.

In your example, Taylor would win and get 4 points. Okie State gets 2 points deducted for forfeiting. PSU wins the tourney by 1.5

I guess I wasn't clear. This ISN'T a PSU vs MN issue. I'm just wondering if there might be a better system than the status quo.

Coach Park, it makes sense in a dual because there are only two teams involved. In a tournament, a third random team gets rewarded.

In your example, Taylor would win and get 4 points. Okie State gets 2 points deducted for forfeiting. PSU wins the tourney by 1.5

You're given the same for a forfeit as a pin because you have been denied the chance to get a pin. Doing anything else would make no sense.