Sign in to follow this  
judaspriest

Help needed to keep up fantastic ESPN coverage

I am sure people (myself included) will always find ways to grumble about something in the coverage, but that's all minor stuff.

What is truly impressive this year was that you could see every match online and a lot of matches from every single session on TV. Commentary, improved score / warning / riding etc updates were also very helpful and a huge improvement over what we had in the past.

As every year around this time, I am asking everyone who is reading this to let ESPN / Northwestern Mutual know that you greatly enjoyed the coverage and want the same or more next year.

Please do take a minute to make yourself heard.

ESPN3 - http://broadband.espn.go.com/espn360/watchespn/feedback

ESPN - https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

Northwestern Mutual - https://service.nmfn.com/webforms/service/GenComments.html

Let's not forget to plant the seeds for next year!

I just received a nice little reply from ESPN. They mention wrestling specifically so I do not think this was just an automated reply. I don't care what team you are a fan of, please write ESPN to ensure we can continue to watch all mats live. Gives us much more to debate about on here.

ESPN Customer Care (support at espncustomercare dot com)4:32 PM To:

From: ESPN Customer Care (support at espncustomercare.com)

Sent: Mon 3/24/14 4:32 PM

To: XXXXXXX@live.com

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We value feedback from our fans and thank you for your kind words and support. We will be sure to share your positive feedback regarding our NCAA Wrestling coverage on ESPN3 with the appropriate department. For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. EST.

Regards, BrandonESPN.com

Customer Care

I enjoyed the coverage immensely,,,but why didn't my DVR record the finals? It recorded every session otherwise and I had room on the DVR for it?

That being said...does anyone know when a replay will occur of the finals? Almost makes me sick that I missed them.

The most reliable way to tell when the broadcast will take place, in my experience, has been to simply browse the channel's schedule a few days forward. I saw that the quarters and semis were going to be re-broadcast, so I am sure the finals would be as well.

I have to say, the quarters and the semis are usually much more exciting than the finals, including this year. There were some good bouts but nothing mind-blowing. 133, 157, 174, 197, hwt were the ones I enjoyed the most. However, 125, surprisingly, was the least interesting, at least to me.

I may post longer on the topic as I have a small role in the coverage, but the board probably doesn't give the best constructive feedback. Anyway, let the NCAA and ESPN know if you enjoy having the radios inside the arena. That service was almost discontinued this year. Be proactive on that rather than reactive when you show up to a championship and the service isn't available. I don't know all of the financials behind it, but the technology to run those is expensive and can't be covered by the purchase of the radios alone. The NCAA had picked up the tab for a few years to provide the service, and now ESPN took that on. These radios are often for large outdoor events where they have a much larger crowd to purchase the radios.

http://livesportsradio.com/

Thanks sockobuw.

I may post longer on the topic as I have a small role in the coverage, but the board probably doesn't give the best constructive feedback. Anyway, let the NCAA and ESPN know if you enjoy having the radios inside the arena. That service was almost discontinued this year. Be proactive on that rather than reactive when you show up to a championship and the service isn't available. I don't know all of the financials behind it, but the technology to run those is expensive and can't be covered by the purchase of the radios alone. The NCAA had picked up the tab for a few years to provide the service, and now ESPN took that on. These radios are often for large outdoor events where they have a much larger crowd to purchase the radios.

http://livesportsradio.com/

Personally, I haven't found the radios very useful but that could be just me. What truly made the difference is the ESPN3 / ESPN coverage (both amount and quantity) as I could potentially see every match. Fans who are lucky enough to attend in person any given year will see what they need to see more or less. My main interest is those (much more numerous) fans that are not attending and have to view remotely somehow. That is where ESPN(U/3) has done a great job and we would like it to continue doing so.

If you could please share our appreciation through your ESPN connection, that would be fantastic. It would both give people involved in the coverage a well-deserved credit as well as (I hope) help us to keep the same level of coverage going forward.

Good news!!

Finals are being rebroadcast tonight at 8 pm CST, and my recorder says "yes" it shall be done.

Are they the finals?

My guide says ESPNU will be rebroadcasting the NCAA "medal round" at 9:00 PM (Eastern) tonight. It will be repeated a few more times, then Thursday night at midnight (re: Friday) comes 10 hours with first round, second round, quarters, then the medal round again.

I can't find anything on semis or finals at this point. I probably don't know where to look.

My only complaint ended up being not able to view espn3 online because my tv service is Direct TV (satellite) and internet is Time Warner Road Runner.

Really would have liked to view any match instead of just what espn decided to show.

Here is the response I received!

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate you taking the time to write and share your thoughts with us. We have shared your comments with the appropriate personnel for their review and consideration.

For additional fan service, be sure to follow the ESPN Fan Central team @ESPN_FanCentral (http://twitter.com/ESPN_FanCentral) and like their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/ESPNFanCentral

Sincerely,

Kristi

ESPN Viewer Response

Always a joy to watch, even in rebroadcast and even the finals (quarters / semis being the more interesting rounds IMHO).

Such a world of a difference vs. years past when they would barely cover 2/3 of the weights in the finals, all for the grand total of about 45 mins (I think CBS or some such used to do it). A ton of cudos to ESPN for the coverage.

It's not coincidental that ESPN picked up more coverage when they lost the NCAA Basketball tournament to Turner/CBS. I expect for the duration of the Turner/CBS contract, we will continue to get great coverage, because ESPN has no rights to broadcast basketball during the national tournament. I am sure our feedback helps, however the expanded coverage has more to do with ESPN's lack of basketball rights than the great ratings they get from broadcasting wrestling. Thank Turner and CBS for their over $10B contract to move sports to non sports networks!