Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Aaron Pico in Bulgaria last weekend

I just saw that he took first place in the Junior Division. Great job by him. He beat a Junior world champion in the semis 6-0, and beat a Russian Cadet World Champion in the finals 17-6. Wow!

I know some people are wanting him to go straight to the open division, but getting this type of confidence is invaluable.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Pico will "waltz" thru domestic or international senior competition. What we fans are saying is that he has done enough at both the domestic and international junior levels, and in his limited exposure at the senior level, to believe that concerns about him "missing out" on the rest of his "amateur" career to be short-sighted.

Aaron Pico's skill level is just insane, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he could already handle our top senior team hopefuls - including Oliver, Metcalf and Russell. It will be interesting to see if he participates in Madison in a couple of months...

There is still a huge difference between wrestling boys and men...When the seasoned, "men" start falling, then I start believing. Tough kid.....just give him time before crowning him King.

Stieber lost to Asgarov (AZE) in the finals of the Junior World Championship and he went on to win the Olympics the following year, there are a lot of international Junior wrestlers that are knocking on elite status.

Pico is fantastic for USA wrestling regardless how his efforts against US senior level competitors turns out. He is is leading the youth movement and I see more of this in years to come. I believe we will see others go his route, or at least a similar route. More the Henry Cejudo route perhaps. Lets keep in mind Henry was taking college classes in Colorado and not the doom and gloom critics claim when a HS star does not go directly to D1 college wrestling.

I have to admit I'm still a tiny bit on the fence about Pico, but as he continues to turn in results like those listed above, I can't help but think that his success will continue against our domestic elite.

The one guy I am pulling for right now and hope to see capture a world level medal of any color is Metcalf. He is such a hard worker, he has paid the price, his dedication is inspiring, and although I'm in the minority in rooting for him, I'd love to see him beat the odds and get it done now. But with Pico looming and others like the Okie state kid, his window is near closed.

Back on topic, I too am all for Pico to continue to enter these world level junior events and I am giddy like a kid in a candy store for when he finally takes on the US seniors.

Go Pico!

Pico is fantastic for USA wrestling regardless how his efforts against US senior level competitors turns out. He is is leading the youth movement and I see more of this in years to come. I believe we will see others go his route, or at least a similar route. More the Henry Cejudo route perhaps. Lets keep in mind Henry was taking college classes in Colorado and not the doom and gloom critics claim when a HS star does not go directly to D1 college wrestling.

I have to admit I'm still a tiny bit on the fence about Pico, but as he continues to turn in results like those listed above, I can't help but think that his success will continue against our domestic elite.

The one guy I am pulling for right now and hope to see capture a world level medal of any color is Metcalf. He is such a hard worker, he has paid the price, his dedication is inspiring, and although I'm in the minority in rooting for him, I'd love to see him beat the odds and get it done now. But with Pico looming and others like the Okie state kid, his window is near closed.

Back on topic, I too am all for Pico to continue to enter these world level junior events and I am giddy like a kid in a candy store for when he finally takes on the US seniors.

Go Pico!

You know, I'd love to see Metcalf bring home a World medal as well.

At times he's looked great on the world level (Yarygin Silver, World Cup Gold, World Cup Silver, Sarysan Gold, Takiti Silver, Beat the Street victories, etc.). Yes, unfortunately, Brent had 2 opening round losses in both his World appearances, so it would be great to see Brent can get that World medal before his career ends.

I picked Pico on the other thread, half for fun and the other half, well, because a big part of me thinks he's going to be a superstar on the World level. Obviously, still early. We'll see.

Metcalf may well be our guy again in 2014, and I'm totally fine with that. And yes, I'm aware that Jordan Oliver, Kellan Russell, and possibly Logan Steiber will be in the 65kg mix as well.

Can't wait for Nationals and Trials!

Please don't compare Pico to Cejudo...there is very little in common.

OK, Pico is skilled, but can he win the big ones, against our seasoned guys?

With all this attention put on Pico, it's only going to fuel the others.

There's a whole lot in common actually. Both super star stud high schoolers, (Pico far and away more accomplished quicker) both skipped NCAA wrestling to focus on freestyle, both attended or have college in their plans, (pico yet to graduate high school) and both had/have USA buzzing by their potential on the world stage. They both are from California and they both appear to be of Latino descent, (to me at least).

When discussing the youth movement in wrestling and specifically route chosen in quest of success, the Pico/Cejudo comparison absolutely is legitimate. I am open to your counter argument, however.

OK...you've made a comparison, yet a weak one. They both have dark hair, too...

Pico- Educated, Silver-Spooner, Substantial family support system, Choosing this route, and has $$$ to fall back on.

Cejudo - had nothing, no money, little/no education, no other positive options, than to go out and win Gold.

You guys are putting the cart before the horse.....I don't care how good he is..he has proven little wrestling men.

There have been many,many before with as much talent, but never even made it to the big stage.

Cejudo was an Arizona product. He may have been born in California but he began wrestling in Arizona and is a product of the Maryvale club program in west Phoenix. He was doing similar things though, he won a US Open while still in high school.

OK...you've made a comparison, yet a weak one. They both have dark hair, too...

Pico- Educated, Silver-Spooner, Substantial family support system, Choosing this route, and has $$$ to fall back on.

Cejudo - had nothing, no money, little/no education, no other positive options, than to go out and win Gold.

You guys are putting the cart before the horse.....I don't care how good he is..he has proven little wrestling men.

There have been many,many before with as much talent, but never even made it to the big stage.

I believe the issue that's confusing you is you're arguing a point against me that I didn't bring up.

I compared skipping the NCAAs in order to pursue freestyle at the international level. This is exactly what Cejudo did, (his ultimate results are not relevant) and it is what Pico is doing, (we have yet to see his results other than a thrashing of the #2 or #3 guy in Russia). As more high schoolers choose this route, and especially as they have positive results, (here's where you say Cejudo Olympic Gold medalist!) and Pico, (crushed the Russian and is dismantling age level opponents across the world) it could be an avenue we see chosen more and more by super studs and not quite super studs coming out of high school and I think it is a great thing.

Some push for college to switch to freestyle and others say skip it altogether and get to the OTC. Surely you can follow along that as it's done (Cejudo Olympic Gold) more and more, (Pico very hgih profile wrecking everyone in sight thus far) it's a trend that may catch on and give our wrestlers more options.

Now back to your point because i hate t0 be rude, If someone starts a topic where they are comparing Pico today versus Cejudo at his peak, I will join your band wagon and also tell them to slow down a bit and wait for Pico to tech the Russian at a world level event, at the very least. Hopefully that makes your evening better.

Cejudo was an Arizona product. He may have been born in California but he began wrestling in Arizona and is a product of the Maryvale club program in west Phoenix. He was doing similar things though, he won a US Open while still in high school.

If I am not mistaken, he is a 2 time Colorado State champ as well.

And if I'm not mistaken, he was a 2 time Colorado HS state champ. as well.

In his interviews, he states he is looking for a Junior World Title. If this is true, it's probable that this year we'll see him at the junior Fila's vs some of the top college wrestlers. Then, we might also see him at the Junior Nationals in North Dakota with Team California, against some of the top H.S. kids. But personally, I'd love to see him compete in April at the Open in Las Vegas :D Thoughts?

And if I'm not mistaken, he was a 2 time Colorado HS state champ. as well.

I always get the impression he didn't even want to wrestle in high school once he got to the OTC. It wasn't a challenge for him, he even compared it to Michael Jordan playing intramural basketball. He had very little to prove or gain by that point. Him winning state in Colorado was a function of him being at the OTC. He would have won a state title anywhere by that point anyway. He did represent Arizona at junior nationals that year if I'm not mistaken though, even though he was in Colorado. The guy he beat his senior year in the Colorado state finals was quoted as saying that there was nothing he could do to stop Cejudo at all. I think it was like a 25-10 tech fall win.