Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Most Exciting Wrestler at the NCAA's this year

Lots of fun guys to watch at the NCAA tournament this year, but the guy I think I enjoyed watching the most was Mitchell Port of Edinboro. 7 minutes of raging fury, the guy never lets up and is continuously trying to score.

He is Lincoln McIlravy's clone. The worst mustache that a junior high student could beat mixed with a fluffy mullet. Not only do they look the same but they wrestle eerily similar. Port obviously won't finish with near the hardware but he is a beast on bottom and definitely pushes the action on his feet.

Lots of fun guys to watch at the NCAA tournament this year, but the guy I think I enjoyed watching the most was Mitchell Port of Edinboro. 7 minutes of raging fury, the guy never lets up and is continuously trying to score.

I didn't see that in his match with the UNC kid.

Well then, if you didn't see it then it couldn't possibly be an accurate "opinion"

Jason Tsirtsis. Quite possibly the most technically sound wrestler at ncaas. I'm not a very excitable person, so watching Tsirtsis' technique was probably the closest thing that I'll ever get to that from watching a wrestling match.

Well then, if you didn't see it then it couldn't possibly be an accurate "opinion"

Did you see "7 minutes of raging fury" from Port?

Jason Tsirtsis. Quite possibly the most technically sound wrestler at ncaas. I'm not a very excitable person, so watching Tsirtsis' technique was probably the closest thing that I'll ever get to that from watching a wrestling match.

Not all the time though right? ;)

Not all the time though right? ;)

Nope, but a lot of the time for a freshman.

Actually, the first time Port and Henderson wrestled, Henderson kept scoring off of Port's aggressiveness. Even the commentators were pointing out how Henderson had wrestled Port several times and had learned to use Port's aggressiveness against him. I think this threw Port off. Familiarity can certainly slow a match down.

The second match Port still came out aggressive and beat Henderson 9-1 in the 3rd place match.

In the end Port match results went: win by fall 2:24, win by fall 3:23, loss 5-3, win MD 8-0, win MD 11-3, win 3-1 against Retherford and win 9-1.

Instead of pointing out 1 match look at the bulk of his results. The kid is VERY active......

Actually, the first time Port and Henderson wrestled, Henderson kept scoring off of Port's aggressiveness. Even the commentators were pointing out how Henderson had wrestled Port several times and had learned to use Port's aggressiveness against him. I think this threw Port off. Familiarity can certainly slow a match down.

The second match Port still came out aggressive and beat Henderson 9-1 in the 3rd place match.

In the end Port match results went: win by fall 2:24, win by fall 3:23, loss 5-3, win MD 8-0, win MD 11-3, win 3-1 against Retherford and win 9-1.

Instead of pointing out 1 match look at the bulk of his results. The kid is VERY active......

It's not necessary to look at the bulk of the results since I was merely pointing out that I didn't see "7 minutes of raging fury" in one match. And for the record, nowadays it's pretty rare for me to watch consellation matches.

Technical Superiority - Dave Taylor

Freak ability - Ruth

Broad range of highlight reel attacks - Ian Miller

Basher - Port

Technically sound w/o flash - T Shirts

That Tsirtsis kid is pretty good. There's a lot of potential there.

Was anybody else ready to go out and wrestle after watching the finals? The Ramos match was the most exiting!!

After the finals were over on Sat nite - I went to a poker game - Six of us there - Four of us were high school wrestlers back in the day. After playing poker four a couple hours and we were all amped up on caffeine - we went out in the back yard and started wrestling - all four of us are in our forties!! Boy were we out of shape!! All of us are about 5 foot nine and 200 PLUS pounds so at least we were about equal size - I got one take down in but generally speaking didn't do much else - couple of the others (Ones Korean) did some MMA type moves - man my shoulder hurts today though!! Hope I dont have a partially torn rotator cuff or anything like that!!

http://www.hockeycup.blogspot.com

Off of just pure unpredictability how is Ness not? Putting Green to his back from that position and take into account the St. John match can't see anyone testing that just unknown he presents. Taylor is awesome but I want to see him on his back doing that first.

That Miller kid from Kent State had a pretty wide variety of dynamic offense. Lots of people get excited over the one big move that ends in a pin or dramatic win but that dude poured on some O that reminded me of Abas.

Have to agree with the Ian Miller comment. He is always fun.

And am surprised that only one person mentioned Stieber. I believe him and Dierenger were the only ones with bonus in the final. And even Stieber's closest match with Retherford was exciting.

That Miller kid from Kent State had a pretty wide variety of dynamic offense. Lots of people get excited over the one big move that ends in a pin or dramatic win but that dude poured on some O that reminded me of Abas.

From what I saw, he did have a few more holds under his sleeve than the average wrestler at the tournament. One thing that stood out to me about Miller was how much he telegraphed his inside trip.

I thought English was exciting, considering his injuries, close matches and ultimate finish. He went in unseeded and won his first match against the # 12 seed in a TB. Then, he wrestled the eventual champ Tsirtsus tough, losing 3-4 to drop to the consolations. There he won three straight, including a SV win over the #10 seed, before losing by fall (while leading 3-0) to the eventual 4th place finisher. That put him in the 7th place match, where he beat a returning champion in a TB, to finish his career as an All-American.

His NCAA tournament record was 5-2. Of those 5 wins, 3 did not come until overtime. The other 2 were by 1 and 2 point margins, respectively. And, as pointed out above, he lost by a single point to the eventual champ and was leading by 3 points when the eventual 4th-place finisher beat him by fall. It was like pins and needles watching him wrestle with his very stiff (due to numerous injuries) body.

On the other end of the excitement spectrum, Dylan Ness was on fire! If he could have pulled off one more crushing pin, Minnesota would likely have tied or beaten Penn State for the title. Taylor, of course, would have gone for bonus, and he would have needed to major Caldwell for the tie and tech or pin him for the win. Given their history, a major would have been a distinct possibility. (Taylor beat Caldwell this year by 6-0, 5-2 and 9-1 and last year by 10-0.) However, a tech or fall would have been a tall order against the very strong Cowboy.