Sign in to follow this  
Heisenberg

Current College Wrestlers

Not sure Delgado has much of a future with that pas the leg shot defense he has. Nahshon Garrett and those blast doubles on the other hand remind me of a small Burroughs.

Brandon Slay tweeted during the NCAA Finals that if Delgado-Garrett had been scored under freestyle rules Garrett would have won 12-0 in the first period.

Not sure Delgado has much of a future with that pas the leg shot defense he has. Nahshon Garrett and those blast doubles on the other hand remind me of a small Burroughs.

Brandon Slay tweeted during the NCAA Finals that if Delgado-Garrett had been scored under freestyle rules Garrett would have won 12-0 in the first period.

Interresting. I wonder what the result would have been had it been scored under greco rules.

Garrett's considerable neutral skills will only be amplified under freestyle rules. I think he'll eventually be a world- and Olympic-team member. So fast, so slick, so good. Delgado will do very well, too, but I think under freestyle rules Garrett has a bit of an advantage.

Stieber is a junior world silver medalist, and he can compete for the 65kg (143 lbs) spot right now. Retherford looked really good for a true freshman. He's also a cadet world champ. If his neutral wrestling continues to improve, I think we could see him challenging guys like Stieber and Oliver.

Tsirtsis is just so fundamentally sound. I wonder if he's too big for 65kg (143 lbs) and too small for 70kg (154 lbs). If he can adjust to a weight class in the future, I think he'll be one of our best guys.

Dieringer has already won a junior world silver. Green is incredibly skilled from neutral. It doesn't hurt that he gets to roll around with Burroughs. I think both these guys can compete for a spot on the world team at 70kg (154 lbs) right now. 74kg will be tougher with Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor. (At the NCAA tournament, aside from getting pinned by Ness, Green's other matches were all victories, and the scores were: 14-3, 14-3, 12-2, TF, M. For., 13-1.)

Taylor was the best college wrestler this season, but as we all know he has Burroughs and Dake to contend with.

Ruth is very talented. I wonder how he'll adjust to freestyle rules. He could very well became a freestyle beast. (I sort of hope he goes into MMA instead. I think he'd do very well as a fighter. His physical tools are off the charts. He's stronger, quicker, and more coordinated than the elite D1 guys he faced over four years. He's also got a long reach.) Dean is another guy with a ton of potential.

Cox won 197 as a true freshman, which is incredibly impressive. He'll be battling Kyle Snyder in the future.

Gwiz will do really well in freestyle. Mobile, strong, able to shoot.

The Education, Green's freestyle career might actually be at 65kg. He wrestled at 66kg last year and is on the record as saying he only wrestles 157 for the team but could make 49 easily.

I also think this is why his freshman and sophomore year he seemed to fade at NCAA's. Can't really say that this year because outside of getting stuck by Ness (who naturally weighs about 160ish) he ran through the tournament.

Agree with some of the above mentioned, but would definitely add Graff. Freestyle seems more of his 'natural element', if you will, than collegiate.

Going back and using freestyle scoring to score some of Cael's matches, he would have lost a lot as well. But he adjusted. There's a possibility Delgado will adjust too, time will tell.

The Education, Green's freestyle career might actually be at 65kg. He wrestled at 66kg last year and is on the record as saying he only wrestles 157 for the team but could make 49 easily.

I also think this is why his freshman and sophomore year he seemed to fade at NCAA's. Can't really say that this year because outside of getting stuck by Ness (who naturally weighs about 160ish) he ran through the tournament.

I agree that that's where he may end up in freestyle, but to be fair to Green, he's not that small that he can make 149 easily.

He was interviewed after placing third this year and he said that, while he doesn't cut much to make 157, overnight weigh-ins and the lower weigh-in frequency are key reasons why he is able to compete at 66 kg. He said that having to make 149 every week in college would be tough, but making 66 kg a few times a year was doable.

I agree that that's where he may end up in freestyle, but to be fair to Green, he's not that small that he can make 149 easily.

He was interviewed after placing third this year and he said that, while he doesn't cut much to make 157, overnight weigh-ins and the lower weigh-in frequency are key reasons why he is able to compete at 66 kg. He said that having to make 149 every week in college would be tough, but making 66 kg a few times a year was doable.

Thanks for the update. The interview I saw was from at least a year ago if not longer so that makes more sense.