Sign in to follow this  
Dr.White

Thoughts and questions.

I apologize in advance for any obvious remarks or inappropriate questions; I haven't followed this season as closely as seasons in the past.

1. We have a contingent of New Jersey fans here who hold the shibboleth that they live in the best wrestling state. They had two All-Americans this year (one ironically coming from the great Rutgers powerhouse we've heard so much about over the years).

If I recall correctly, they only had two or 3 last year as well. At what point does it become appropriate to use objective criteria to dismantle this mantra?

2. Has anyone referred to Graff's action on the bottom as a blunder???? It seems like he exposed his own back in a tie match!!! If anyone agrees with me, how would you compare this to, say, Molinaro's decision to pick down against Dake and override Cael's advice? Although that decision didn't cost him the match, it did get him in the record books for being on the receiving end of the longest ride.

3. Had Steiber stayed at 133, would he have been able to beat Ramos this year?

Off year for NJ...that's all...

Last year was an off year as well they actually improved this year 0 or 1 last year to 2. similar to your arkansas and new mexico other power house wrestling states.

Don't count out Rutgers in the coming years if they continue to draw from all the studs in NJ that translate into dominant college wrestlers . Iv been on campus absolutely beautiful Campus a strole down college ave in New Brunswick will truly impress assuming the homeless aren't out the wind from the dumps of NJ arent blowing your way and raritan river sewage treatment plant isnt flushing the pipes out that day and you dont mind sitting in 2 hours of traffic while paying a toll every half mile.

As for Stieber I believe he would have beat Rainbows this year if he could avoid the cowcatcher aka cowboy to his back.

NJ is in a down cycle without a doubt. Over the last 10-15 years though I would imagine they are squarely in number 3 in terms of state success at NCAA. And some of the best individuals we've seen. Mocco, Esposito, Valenti, Dubuque, Burroughs, Caldwell, Russell, Pritzlaff, Hahn, Rey, Molinaro just to name a few. They aren't Arizona or New Mexico. Buxton leaving Blair will hurt the state though and they were one of the first if not the first state with major club wrestling so maybe your just starting to see some states catch up. Some studs coming up as well. Next few years will be interesting.

NJ is in a down cycle without a doubt. Over the last 10-15 years though I would imagine they are squarely in number 3 in terms of state success at NCAA.

NJ is 7th overall in total AA's from 1961 to present.

NJ has had some amazing talent over the years. It just seems that some of their blue chip kids do not always pan out in college. There does not seem to be a single reason, it seems that the reasons vary widely.

"NJ is 7th overall in total AA's from 1961 to present."

It would be nice to see the AAs broken down by decade. Trends would be apparent.

For example here is Ohio, with average D1 AAs per year each decade since 1961:

61-70 1.7

71-80 5.2

81-90 6.7

91-00 7.3

01-10 7.8

11-14 8.0

I think Ohio is ascending. California is also ascending from where they once were. Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania, just dominating percentage wise. 17 all Americans this year is off the chain. What is that, like 21 or 22 percent of the all Americans? Wow.

NJ is still good, but I don't see them ever being in the top four again unless something changes.