Sign in to follow this  
Bucksfan

Arena nice, but OKC SUCKED!

Surprised I havent seen a thread on this subject yet, maybe I missed it. Anyone else think OKC was very ill prepared for the amount of people coming in for this tourny? Biggest gripe for me was the restaurants. TERRIBLE! I had 1 good meal (Mickey Mantles) the entire time I was there due to the fact none of the damn places were staffed! Countless times we walk into a place and see plenty of tables open, yet the wait is 2 pages long? REALLY? This really pissed me off. Then at the places we finally did get a table the food sucked. Not impressed.

Any other gripes on OKC?

Maybe you aren't use to the more relaxed atmosphere in Oklahoma. Sounds as if you went in expecting New York and East Coast rudeness and are complaining you didn't get the 'in your face' attitude you are used to.

Did you try the BBQ places? The small restaurants and such?

Oklahoma City is a good town with friendly folks most everywhere. If there was a problem it was most likely you.

Zelph have to agree. Had a great time with all the fans except when some Iowa fans in the Arena almost head butted a women who did nothing after the Perry/Evans match. I think his post was more about how bad his team did than OKC.

I am sorry but the team slight was pretty weak. tOSU performed about as well as they could. They finished 6th with a champ and a finalist. Roberts was unseeded going 1-2 and only lost to seeded wrestlers. DiJulius went 2-2 again only losing to seeded wrestlers. Stieber dominated. Paddock fizzled out. Martin went 1-2. Courts went 3-2 losing in R12. Heflin took 2nd. Tavanello went 4-2 losing in the R12. If you want to slam the guy for his comments feel free. However, the team dig was inaccurate and poor.

Sounds as if you went in expecting New York and East Coast rudeness and are complaining you didn't get the 'in your face' attitude you are used to.

haha, what? restaurants on the east coast work under the same principles that the service industry uses all over the country. like you sit down for a meal in new york city for a meal and the waiter starts cursing you out?

i would love to find any restaurant that gives you "in your face" attitude, actually. sounds like a trip.

Surprised I havent seen a thread on this subject yet, maybe I missed it. Anyone else think OKC was very ill prepared for the amount of people coming in for this tourny? Biggest gripe for me was the restaurants. TERRIBLE! I had 1 good meal (Mickey Mantles) the entire time I was there due to the fact none of the damn places were staffed! Countless times we walk into a place and see plenty of tables open, yet the wait is 2 pages long? REALLY? This really pissed me off. Then at the places we finally did get a table the food sucked. Not impressed.

Any other gripes on OKC?

Have to agree on both steakhouses we went to. We did Cattlemans and Mickey Mantels and both were not good at all. 10 of us went and the best compliment we had for the restaurants were that the salad was good. We were the first ones at MM's and it took us just shy of 2 hrs to get our food. Had to send my steak back as it was ordered medium and came out raw. Brought it back and it was still blood red in middle. They also forgot our side orders. Also must be some kind of time limit on drinks as we were only able to get 3 beers in that time span as staff hardly ever returned to our table.

Cattleman's was packed we waited an hour no problem and food was relatively quick for how full it was. The best part of meal was shrimp cocktail. Went in expecting to cut steaks with a butter knife and had to be aggressive with a steak knife.

Best steak I had came from a BBQ joint out by airport hotels.

Of all of us that went we will never go back to either steakhouse and that's too bad as we don't have a problem paying a good deal of money for a good meal.

Frosted Mug place out by airport was nice.

Sounds as if you went in expecting New York and East Coast rudeness and are complaining you didn't get the 'in your face' attitude you are used to.

haha, what? restaurants on the east coast work under the same principles that the service industry uses all over the country. like you sit down for a meal in new york city for a meal and the waiter starts cursing you out?

i would love to find any restaurant that gives you "in your face" attitude, actually. sounds like a trip.

Actually, there is a place in St.Louis like that. You can give it try next year.

Ed Debevic’s Short Order Deluxe.

The service at Zio's Italian place on Thursday was atrocious, though. They were totally unprepared for the crowd between sessions. If you were located that close to the sports arena, wouldn't you check out the schedule daily and staff accordingly? Just seemed weirdly disengaged. The staff was friendly and did their best, but inadequate all the same.

I like Oklahoma City and it's actually a place I could see myself living one day. Friendly people, not far from Stillwater or Norman, and weather far better than we have in Iowa (at least in the winter).

However, Bucksfan was 100% accurate in that the city, especially "bricktown" was NOT prepared for the influx of people. It kind of ticked me off a little that many of the waiters/waitresses and staff of many of the restaurants acted a little surprised and even shocked that there were so many people in town for the wrestling event. Wrestling has been around long enough and been popular long enough to where whether they follow wrestling or not, they ought to know how popular it is and how many people were going to be coming to their city for the event.

That is one thing that really differs Oklahoma from Iowa. Des Moines last year was prepared majorly for the influx of wrestling fans that came to it. Sure, Wells Fargo arena essentially not big enough it self, but the city of Des Moines was all wrestling. You could travel up to 10 miles away from the arena last year, and they were all about the wrestling. Wrestling signs everywhere, in every restaurant and in every bar. "Welcome wrestling fans" with Iowa hawkeyes, Iowa state Cyclones and Northern Iowa Panther banners and signs plastered up all over the walls. You walked a block from the arena in Oklahoma City, and there were people that didn't realize that there was a wrestling tournament being held in their city, or that Oklahoma State was even that good at wrestling.

I guess I really don't get that. Oklahoma State is not only a top powerhouse like Iowa, but they've been a top powerhouse for a lot longer than Iowa has been. Yet the recognition and popularity of wrestling in Iowa is far greater than it is in Oklahoma. You can't hardly go anywhere in Iowa where people don't know the names Cael Sanderson and Dan Gable. Even people who are diehard basketball fans know those names. Yet in Oklahoma, from what I've seen the four times I've been to the state, "John who?" "Pat who?"

I'm not trying to make a knock on Oklahoma, but I'm trying to understand why wrestling isn't more of a thing down there. Sure Oklahoma state and Oklahoma have their fans, but I was told by an events coordinator that Oklahoma State often does not sell out their home dual meets. That small of an arena, for that good of a team should be selling out their home meets.

As good as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have been over the years and continue to keep being, that ought to be bleeding over into the high school scene like it does here in Iowa, but it doesn't seem to be. As good as Oklahoma State and Oklahoma Wrestling have been over the years and continue to keep being that shouldn't have taken as long as it did to finally start spreading out a little bit into Texas like it finally seems to be doing.

Maybe my expectations are just a little too high? I don't know, but the city did seem very unprepared for the wrestling event. As I said before I didn't see any, "Welcome wrestling fans" or Oklahoma Sooner Wrestling or Oklahoma State Cowboy wrestling banners or signs. I don't feel out of line saying that I feel I should have either.

I guess I really don't get that. Oklahoma State is not only a top powerhouse like Iowa, but they've been a top powerhouse for a lot longer than Iowa has been. Yet the recognition and popularity of wrestling in Iowa is far greater than it is in Oklahoma. You can't hardly go anywhere in Iowa where people don't know the names Cael Sanderson and Dan Gable. Even people who are diehard basketball fans know those names. Yet in Oklahoma, from what I've seen the four times I've been to the state, "John who?" "Pat who?"

I'm not trying to make a knock on Oklahoma, but I'm trying to understand why wrestling isn't more of a thing down there. Sure Oklahoma state and Oklahoma have their fans, but I was told by and events coordinator that Oklahoma State often does not sell out their home dual meets. That small of an arena, for that good of a team should be selling out their arenas.

I really think Iowa Public Television and their coverage of wrestling for so many years had a huge impact on the state of Iowa. And it was back before people were flooded with sports coverage.

No place that we have been to for 12 yrs now can handle the rush within walking distance of the event. You need to get in your car and get outside the walking folks if you want what you are asking for. If you do that you will loose some of the atmosphere that makes the event great but you can not have your cake and eat it

without the problems you describe if you stay close.

No place that we have been to for 12 yrs now can handle the rush within walking distance of the event. You need to get in your car and get outside the walking folks if you want what you are asking for. If you do that you will loose some of the atmosphere that makes the event great but you can not have your cake and eat it

There was a difference between St. Louis/Des Moines/Omaha and Oklahoma City this year. Not to dwell, but to say that it's the same no matter where you go is wrong. St. Louis is many people's favorite host site for the championships and for good reason.

Wow! It was like I was in a different city. I loved (LOVED) OKC. Many hotels close to venue. Bricktown was great. Completely different than last time hosting NCAAs. All three restauarants we ate at between sessions were aware of tournament. Service was a bit slow (it always is), but only because they are slammed with 100 folks who just got out of arena at same time.

I wish the NCAA would fall in love with OKC the way they have with STL. By 2018, StL will have hosted 8 of the past 18 tournamnets. StL is getting old.

In 2016, you'll get your NYC "in your face" service as the NCAA Championships are in Madison Square Garden. Can't wait to read about the traffic issues that people will face.

One hit for those going in two years. Park your car and leave it there. Walk or take the subway.

"You're telling me that you want people to be nice to each other? Being miserable and treating everyone else like dirt is every New Yorker's God given right!"

Ha! I even deleted that post, so as not to offend any Yankees. Who knows when they might

invade again? (That said, I have to admit they have some good wrestlers, restaurants, etc.)

In 2016, you'll get your NYC "in your face" service as the NCAA Championships are in Madison Square Garden. Can't wait to read about the traffic issues that people will face.

One hit for those going in two years. Park your car and leave it there. Walk or take the subway.

I lobbied against NYC but I will enjoy it.

I just thought the venue was small and NYC was not much of a draw since there is never enough time to do sight seeing if you are watching all of the wrestling. The costs are more money and a lot of people won't like that but I do enjoy the food in the city. I always enjoy my time in the city. For those that have never been to the city but always attend the NCAAs, it will be unique but there is no way to really see any sights between wrestling. For this reason, I would rather go to a city that wasn't a destination in-and-of itself.

"You're telling me that you want people to be nice to each other? Being miserable and treating everyone else like dirt is every New Yorker's God given right!"

Depends on who you talk to: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/13452608/ns/us_news-life/t/new-york-named-politest-city-world/ :geek:

For the record: A friend of mine that now lives in Iowa City is from New York and I've met about a half dozen New Yorkers in my life. They've all be friendly to me and I have nothing against them.

That "Ghostbusters 2" quote is just one that I've always liked and it fit the moment.

Ha! I even deleted that post, so as not to offend any Yankees. Who knows when they might

invade again? (That said, I have to admit they have some good wrestlers, restaurants, etc.)

too late - theyve already invaded and taken over large swaths of north carolina and georgia. and forget about northern virginia, that battle was lost decades ago.

There was a difference between St. Louis/Des Moines/Omaha and Oklahoma City this year. Not to dwell, but to say that it's the same no matter where you go is wrong. St. Louis is many people's favorite host site for the championships and for good reason.

I gave good advise - You gave none

Agreed STL is better than the rest but you will still encounter problems with delayed service if you go anywhere close. Do your self a favor if your short on patience and drive a few miles away. Again you will loose some of the atmosphere if you do this so decide which suits you best.

Any other gripes on OKC?

Have to agree on both steakhouses we went to. We did Cattlemans and Mickey Mantels and both were not good at all. 10 of us went and the best compliment we had for the restaurants were that the salad was good. We were the first ones at MM's and it took us just shy of 2 hrs to get our food. Had to send my steak back as it was ordered medium and came out raw. Brought it back and it was still blood red in middle. They also forgot our side orders. Also must be some kind of time limit on drinks as we were only able to get 3 beers in that time span as staff hardly ever returned to our table.

Cattleman's was packed we waited an hour no problem and food was relatively quick for how full it was. The best part of meal was shrimp cocktail. Went in expecting to cut steaks with a butter knife and had to be aggressive with a steak knife.

Best steak I had came from a BBQ joint out by airport hotels.

Of all of us that went we will never go back to either steakhouse and that's too bad as we don't have a problem paying a good deal of money for a good meal.

Frosted Mug place out by airport was nice.

I also went to both Cattleman's and MM's.

Cattleman's was pretty packed with people overflowing onto the sidewalk, but I got in right away when there was a space at the counter. Service was very quick and good, meat fine, but for all the fame, a little overrated, and the sides dishes fair.

MM's was less crowded, more elegant setting, got in just as quick and service was likewise very good. Food was better prepared and cooked, although not by leaps and bounds.

Bottom line - I had to try out both places after hearing about them, and they were fine, just not spectacular.

I live here and wrote a guide to OKC. Cattlemen's is not a favorite of mine, because of the long wait. Mantle's has always been very good. At least they undercooked instead of overcooked your steak. I had friends from all over the Midwest and eastern US who were here, with only two complaints.

1. There wasn't a cab stand near the arena

2. The restaurants in downtown OKC weren't open on Saturday.

OKC didn't get the NCAA tournament this next cycle because the person in charge at the city or the All Sports Association didn't inform the hotels that the NCAA was taking their rooms.

I wrote the mayor yesterday (who is a former sports anchor) outlining why OKC didn't get a tournament this next cycle. St. Louis estimates the economic impact of a NCAA D1 wrestling championship at $14.7 million based on the 2012 tournament, compared to $9 million for a NCAA Midwest Regional Basketball tournament the same year.

I lived in the Phoenix-Scottsdale area for 30 years. For 20 years I appraised golf courses, resort hotels, restaurants, athletic clubs, and high end gated residential communities throughout the western and Midwestern parts of the US. So I understand the impact of tourism. I suggested to the mayor they send someone to Scottsdale and Las Vegas to learn how to setup a one stop shop for an event. This is not the first time the left hand didn't tell the right hand on what was going to happen.

I've spent 6 weeks in Manhattan for training in the 70s, and for 20 years visited my sister every 4th of July weekend who worked there, so I am very familiar with the big city. Oklahoma City is no longer the world's biggest cowtown, but there are some things that need to be done to make this a better place for tourists. They are building a new clubhouse at Lincoln Park a 36-hole facility that is one of the best municipal facilities in the country. I was interviewed extensively, and they are doing everything I recommended. I'm waiting to see if they leased the restaurant out instead of keeping it in house.

I expect I'll get contacted by someone from the city after the letter I sent yesterday. If you have complaints post them here, and I will print them out and take it to the mayor's office. OKC should be in the rotation with St. Louis, and a city from the eastern US.

Bricktown? Overrated. Very small area and too many places spread out. The arena was OK for OK. Not exactly a top-flight venue. Having only two entrances is a problem. Parking in the area was limited and I can only imagine how terrible it is for a Supersonics/Thunder game. The area outside the Arena was dicey in some areas east of the Arena.The food lines were no problem whatsoever in the Arena.

OK people were nice and friendly. The downtown is a joke. Roads closed, potholes, and dull. The Memorial and Museum are fantastic, in particular the Memorial. Price of gas at 3.21 was a big plus as I like to drive outside the area between sessions and on Sunday.

That said, the wrestling and the team race were both fantastic.