Sign in to follow this  
zeeb

Making Stalling Instantaneous

I think this is the easiest solution. Instead of tieing stalling to a general "well, in my opinion he hasn't done much the past minute or two" tie it to specific things. You do that thing and you get called for stalling. No build up, no delay. No nothing. Called the moment it happens.

Drop to an ankle off the whistle? Bam, stalling.

Run halfway across the mat to get away from a takedown attempt? Bam, stalling.

Go to your knees while on your feet and don't shoot immediately? Bam, stalling.

And so on. Give the officials clear criteria that doesn't require them to make a judgement call over time.

Literally none of those situations are stalling.

Right now none of them independently are stalling, but they contribute to an eventual stalling call. What I'm saying is if you take the things that officials look for when they decide that everthing has summed up to be stalling, and just make each of those things stalling, then you make it a lot easier on the officials and you force wrestlers to spend more time on offense.

Here's a radical idea. Have a shot clock. Flip a coin for who's on the clock first. If you're on the clock, you've got 30 sec to score or your opponent gets 1 point. Neutral, top, bottom - doesn't matter. Everything else stays the same, but the shot clock alternates 14 times during the match. I think it would create action, not to mention loosely approximating current freestyle rules.

Here's a radical idea. Have a shot clock. Flip a coin for who's on the clock first. If you're on the clock, you've got 30 sec to score or your opponent gets 1 point. Neutral, top, bottom - doesn't matter. Everything else stays the same, but the shot clock alternates 14 times during the match. I think it would create action, not to mention loosely approximating current freestyle rules.

Yeah, it would REALLY make things more entertaining to watch heavyweights hit go behind after go behind!

That will draw new fans into rasslin in droves!

Yeah, it would REALLY make things more entertaining to watch heavyweights hit go behind after go behind!

It would be better than stand and push. Your "holier than thou" attitude is so droll.

I'm not in favor of stalling, but I don't feel as strongly as some people. In my opinion, wanting more stalling is almost like wanting the NBA to lower the hoops. Sure scoring would go up, but the challenge of scoring is what I find enjoyable. How great is it when your guy scores on one of those other teams' stallers? Middle school kids never stall, so why isn't the middle school fan base larger?

It would be better than stand and push. Your "holier than thou" attitude is so droll.

As opposed to your holier than thou attitude, whereby you know the one and only thing that's wrong with college rasslin today? :roll:

I think in situations where the wrestler starts running away with 4 seconds left, you have to call stalling immediately. Guys like Delgado and Kokesh literally sprinted away from their opponents and didn't get called for it.

Delgado gave up a stalling point in the last 5 seconds for doing just that.

I think in situations where the wrestler starts running away with 4 seconds left, you have to call stalling immediately. Guys like Delgado and Kokesh literally sprinted away from their opponents and didn't get called for it.

Delgado gave up a stalling point in the last 5 seconds for doing just that.

I was probably too busy crying to notice :cry: :cry: :cry:

The push out rule remains the worst rule fix idea I've ever heard. Call guys for stalling if they are backing up. Call guys for stalling if they are just pushing and not trying to create an angle for a shot. Don't completely change the way the sport is wrestled. Rewarding Sumo and strength over technique is all the push out rule would do.

You are free to oppose the push out but it has been tried and works really well in high level freestyle. To each their own but is rather see the odd shove out of bounds than guys trying to drag themselves to the edge after every frigging shot.

As opposed to your holier than thou attitude, whereby you know the one and only thing that's wrong with college rasslin today? :roll:

I never said I knew the one and only thing wrong with wrestling. I merely offered a suggested rule change to address the stalling issue, which is the topic of this thread. YOU got snarky and contributed absolutely nothing of value to the discussion, as usual. Permission to carry-on, oh Holy Arbiter of the Worthy?

This is a rock and hard place situation. Refs don't want to call stalling immediately and fans are mad at refs. Refs are sticking together, same mentality/attitude year after year. Meantime wrestlers know it and take advantage of it, heading for the edge, winning 2-1 or o.t. Nothing changes if changes aren't made.

Keep an eye on the international scene. If the push out looks like it'll work many more times than not and fans end up liking it, then it may be a looming rule change for NCAA. The sport's more important than getting a wrong hand raised once in a while. Personally I don't like it, but whatever works, especially if it's modified not to punish the aggressor; and it does reward the td attempt rather than walking back to center with zero for your effort. Anyway at least FILA is trying it. You may get a lot of shoving and tight circling but it's better than blatant walking out of bounds or trying to drag the refs kicking and screaming into calling something they don't want to call. Question that remains is how much will real wrestling be traded for shoving out?

I never said I knew the one and only thing wrong with wrestling. I merely offered a suggested rule change to address the stalling issue, which is the topic of this thread. YOU got snarky and contributed absolutely nothing of value to the discussion, as usual. Permission to carry-on, oh Holy Arbiter of the Worthy?

Go get 'em! You've been so enlightening thus far that I can't wait for the next solution! :P

More stalling calls will never make the sport better. We'll just have more controversy as wrestlers work hard to make it appear their opponents are doing less. Also, the guys that are always shooting will get calls against the guys who just don't share their style.

Best finals moment was when Gwiz got to choose positions in a tight match with Nelson. It allowed for a change in tactics and created scoring. We need more flexibility when it comes to position changes. Get rid of riding time as it often leads to creative stalling. Allow the ref to call passivity rather than stalling and give choice of positions to the other wrestler. Heflin v Cox would have been a much more satisfying final. No penalty point deciding the outcome. Instead, Heflin would have had to engage and try to score. He might have won...he might have lost. But at least he'd have been forced to do something.

More stalling calls will never make the sport better. We'll just have more controversy as wrestlers work hard to make it appear their opponents are doing less. Also, the guys that are always shooting will get calls against the guys who just don't share their style.

Best finals moment was when Gwiz got to choose positions in a tight match with Nelson. It allowed for a change in tactics and created scoring. We need more flexibility when it comes to position changes. Get rid of riding time as it often leads to creative stalling. Allow the ref to call passivity rather than stalling and give choice of positions to the other wrestler. Heflin v Cox would have been a much more satisfying final. No penalty point deciding the outcome. Instead, Heflin would have had to engage and try to score. He might have won...he might have lost. But at least he'd have been forced to do something.

I agree with you that more stalling calls won't create action the way some people seem to think it will. The most active wrestlers - Cael, David Taylor, Q. Wright, the Brands brothers, for example - are never motivated by fear of a stalling call or even the desire to have their opponent called for stalling. They are motivated by a burning desire to dominate their opponent by scoring offensive points, and they do not fear fatigue nor being scored upon. It's a mindset and not a product of the rules. Unfortunately, no matter how much wrestling incentivizes scoring and penalizes stalling, it will always remain good strategy for wrestlers with stellar defensive skills to keep matches close and win matches by one point that they could never win by eight points. The only way to significantly improve the amount of action in wrestling is to create a culture where the go-for-broke Q. Wright mindset is the dominant mentality amongst the athletes rather than the minority mindset. Kids need to be taught that this is the CORRECT way to wrestle, just as baseball players are taught from an early age that running out every ground ball - even ones where there is a 99 percent plus chance of being thrown out - is the CORRECT way to play baseball even though there is no rule requiring it.