Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Student-Athlete Dedication

http://newsok.com/wrestler-arrested-on- ... le/3946588

I feel like student-athletes don't get enough credit for the level of dedication necessary year-round. Sure, out of season a lot of athletes party, drink, whatever it might be - but when you have a ton of kids your age doing all these crazy things, going to practice is a lot less admirable than cracking open a beer or rolling a blunt. Especially when you add in having to maintain high grades in order to stay eligible, the stress must be unbelievable. I see what it does to my current varsity-athlete friends, and it's an extremely tedious lifestyle, regardless of your love for the sport.

I feel like this is an even bigger problem within the wrestling community, where we are all wired to accept no less than first as the benchmark, and it being so focused on personal gains and losses. The weight cuts and solidarity of the sport really take a toll on these guys mentally. I'm not defending Kilmara's actions, but looking at a guy who is probably cutting a ton of weight like OSU guys tend to do and made it so close to AA'ing in the Round of 12, I could see how he cracked.

I hope he finds another way out from under all the adversity. I'm sure this is a problem with other athletes, as well, just they were not caught (that, however, does not mean it is not still a problem). It takes a while for some people to find a way out; some not ever finding it at all. Just remember what these guys are going through.

Cracking doesn't make you run out an do cocaine in a bar while being drunk in public. Kid was obviously upset, but it seems like he, like a lot of young men, was excited to party after the season was over. That's a serious drug and he knew the consequences. When stress overwhelms people they don't go out and use coke for the first time or something of the sorts. He has most likely had experience with the drug and once his season ended he didn't see the consequences for using it once again. He got caught and he deserves the punishment handed down to him. He is responsible for his own actions. He's not a 15 year old kid; he should be able to be responsible for something of this nature