Sign in to follow this  
paboom

Why doesn't PSU wrestle Boro or Cornell?

Probably because Cornell and Penn State recruit head to head and they want to make things hard on Cornell. Duals with Penn State would help the Cornell brand and recruiting.

Why wrestle Edinboro? It is fine to have Lehigh and Pitt take a few matches from you but a team like Edinboro could have taken as many as four matches this year. Can't see that being good for Penn State.

Both are a 3 hour drive and Flynn is a PSU grad and Koll is a State Colleg native and both are strong programs?

Sanderson seems more interested in helping weaker programs that need help...Utah Valley, Boston U, Rider etc.

Cornell and Edinboro are just fine.

^^I don't speak for Penn State, but it was my understanding that, when they moved into the B1G, they needed to increase (and did) the number of B1G teams on their dual meet sched and reduce their non-B1G dates. In that connection, central PA folks are glad that PSU still wrestles Lock Haven, which is local 35-miles away and big hit with Clinton County wrestling fans.

Both are a 3 hour drive and Flynn is a PSU grad and Koll is a State Colleg native and both are strong programs?

Sanderson seems more interested in helping weaker programs that need help...Utah Valley, Boston U, Rider etc.

Cornell and Edinboro are just fine.

That doesn't explain Lehigh, Oklahoma State, Rutgers and Pitt duals. It sounds like Penn State and Iowa won't give Cornell matches.

Are the big boys trying to keep Cornell out?

I would think they would want to see Cornell guys more.

Maybe it has to do with fear of exposure too.

Cornell is one of the better scouting and match plan teams. The more their guys see you the more it seems to swing in their favor.

People really tune in for that one.

It is a match that has been competed for a long enough time. In the past, even when Penn State has been a very strong team Lock Haven challenged the Lions.

The interest is strong enough that it gets a strong crowd.

I know Penn State is never going to wrestle Edinboro annually, and I have no idea why they have not been on the schedule at all.

Cornell is a quality team the Lions see at the Scuffle, and of course right now there does not seem to be any great friendship between Cael and Rob.

Not a lot of available dates with the B1G schedule. I've posted some of the out-of-conference slates for recent years below. The variation in the number of OOC duals is based on the number of tournaments PSU would participate in during the respective years.

Believe the last time PSU wrestled Cornell in a dual was in the 2008-09 season (at Cornell, on 11/21/08). They've encountered Cornell at tournaments since then, but not in a dual meet.

Believe the last time PSU wrestled Edinboro in a dual was in that 2004-5 season (at Edinboro, on 12/12/04). They met several times since then at tournaments, but not in a a dual meet.

Non-conference opponents (not including tourneys) in recent years:

2013-14:

@ Rider

@ Lehigh

Lock Haven

@ Boston U

@ Iowa (not a conference match)

Pittsburgh

Oklahoma St.

Clarion

2012-13:

Lehigh

@ West Virginia

Lock Haven

@ Pittsburgh

Rider

@ Rutgers

2011-12:

Bloomsburg

@ Lehigh

West Virginia

@ Lock Haven

@ Utah Valley

Pittsburgh

2010-11:

@ Bloomsburg

Lehigh

Lock Haven

Pittsburgh

2009-10:

@ Lehigh

Bloomsburg

@ Pittsburgh

@ West Virginia

@ Lock Haven

2008-09:

Hofstra

@ Cornell

West Virginia

Lehigh

Lock Haven

University of Penn.

2007-08:

Maryland

Hofstra

@ Lehigh

@ Oklahoma State

Cornell

@ Lock Haven

2006-07:

Lehigh

@ Hofstra

Lock Haven

@ Coornell

Penn State Wrestles Lehigh cuz the fans for both programs are two of the most dedicated wrestling fans in the country! If yous never been to a Lehigh match I would suggest if the opportunity presents itself that you take full advantage of it. Lehigh Valley, Pa has some real die hards let me tell ya!

I do recall Penn State and Edinboro meeting twice during Bubbas freshman year at PSU. I think it was twice (maybe the PA state duals) ... Matt Hill pinned Jenkins in a cradle that helped Boro beat PSU in the finals of the VA Duals. I know they met then, but for some reason I believe that was their second meeting.

People really tune in for that one.

I was at that match this year. It was sold out.

I get that,

because it is in the heart of PA. If PSU is involved they'll go fill a gym to watch Taylor and Ruth play 2 on 2 basketball.

Besides PA, who cares?

I believe Cornell has a few more restrictions on scheduling in the number of Dates they are permitted to compete. Div. I has 16 dates, with two of the dates can be a 2 day tournament/event that counts as only 1 day. I believe I remember Coach Koll saying they can only wrestle 13 or 14 dates.

I don't think either of these coaches or wrestlers go out of their way to avoid anyone.

How was the 16 dates determined? And how long has that been the rule?

If a team was to schedule multiple duals on one day is each dual counted separately or as one? I've noticed some of the western schools have done that recently. Example: last year Cal Poly had duals against Drexel & Bakersfield St on the same day.

Is this another reason to push for national duals, championships don't count towards the 16?

I believe Cael is not too keen on seeing teams more than twice during the year.....in the BIG we can see guys 3-4 times a year with duals, scuffle, Big and NCAAs. We currently have bumped heads with Cornell at the Binghamton Open and Southern Scuffle.

Koll's roll in pushing the National Duals without much openness does not sit well with Cael, add to that that Koll was rumored to be headed to PSU prior to Cael's hiring and it is not the situation that breeds accommodation!

Personally, I still harbor ill will from Cornell's sitting 3 key starters the last time they came to REC Hall which ruined the best home dual on our schedule that year!! Yea.....Maybe if the National Duals were in place and "duals meant something" he couldn't have afforded to sit those guys!! :o

Both are a 3 hour drive and Flynn is a PSU grad and Koll is a State College native and both are strong programs?

There is nothing for Penn State to gain by giving peer status to the Edinboro and Cornell wrestling programs. Losing to Minnesota, Oklahoma State, or Iowa is a disappointment. Losing to regional rivals Edinboro or Cornell would be a recruiting catastrophe.