Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

New York City Lowest attendance for NCAA's?

LOL. I just checked the dates. The tourney starts on St. Patty's Day. This is going to be the sickest thing ever. If you can plan a better day than watching college wrestling, throwing back Guiness and catching the NY St. Patty's day parade I would like to see it.

I am not being dismissive of the other places that have hosted recent NCAA wrestling tournament. However, NYC aint Kansas Toto. For those who have never been, just walking around and gaping for 3 days is worth the price of transport and rooming. Do this first: try acquainting yourselves with subways and trains into Penn Station where MSG is located they run very frequently from most areas around NYC Staying in NJ near Newark airport or Brooklyn or Queens is within easy reach. Go here for info, fees and maps: http://web.mta.info/maps/ Just keep in mind that some of the neighborhoods you may go through are places to be alert or in company and carrying weapons is a Sullivan Law violation mandatory 5 years.

Next take a look at hotels.com to find excellent rates. The site is set up by locales. So, you can figure out routing then do some comparative shopping. If you are a "real hayseed " you can call the site. I have found them helpful, unless they were from out of town. Just say thanks and hang up. You can book in advance up to a year and most have free cancel.

If you haven't been to NYC pay up to stay right in Manhattan. Somewhere mid town is best. Here is an invaluable website to get you started: Do this first: try acquainting yourselves with subways and trains into Penn Station where MSG is located they run very frequently from most areas around NYC Staying in NJ near Newark airport or Brooklyn or Queens is within easy reach. Go here for info, fees and maps: http://web.mta.info/maps/ Just keep in mind that some of the neighborhoods you may go through are places to be alert. Save the extra bucks over the year because it is worth doing so.

Regarding renting a car and driving. It is very tough to drive in the combat zone unless you are aggressive. Parking is very expensive relative to most cities. Food and drink is 20% more than in Philly or St Louis but there are places everywhere that are very inexpensive and have great product. Try one of the Jewish delis. Stage Door a couple blocks from MSG at 33rd and 8th serves sandwiches of top flight deli as big as your head for $9.95. You can go here to get a handle on prices.http://www.stagedoordeli.com/menus.html...

It was stated on espn that the ncaa pays for hotels and lodging for the NCAA basketball tournament. Does anyone know if they pay for the wrestling tournaments or the football bowl games

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... licies.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... rogram.pdf

The first link applies to transportation, the second to hotel accommodations.

I rode one of two Hawkeye tour buses down to Oklahoma City for the 2014 NCAA wrestling championships and I know a lot of Iowa fans that will not be attending the 2016 NCAA tournament in New York City. Sitting amongst and speaking with fans from other parts of the country, a lot of them won't be attending either.

I know guys that were paying up to $350 per night for some of the hotels in Oklahoma City. If prices were jacked up that much there, imagine what they'll be jacked up to in New York City. Talking with friends who have lived in and visited NYC, it is an exceptionally expensive town. Maybe I'm wrong, seeing that a large percentage of fans are from Oklahoma State, Iowa, Minnesota and the midwest in general, I think there is a significant number that won't be attending in NYC.

I've dreamed of seeing Madison Square Garden since I first saw it on TV 24 years ago. I really hope I can go, but seeing how phenomenally expensive it will probably end up being, I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not. I don't think I'm the only one in this position.

With that said I'm very anxious to see what the attendance level is for the 2016 NCAA's. I think it'll be the lowest it's been by that time in 15 years.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry New York City is so large it will not notice the NCAA wrestling tournament in order to jack up prices. Do you know how many events are going on in the city on a nightly , let alone weekly basis. An influx of 50,000 wrestling fans won't be noticed at all. This isn't the Midwest. You are talking a city of almost 20 million people and you think a few wrestling fans would remotely increase the demands for rooms. There are a bazillions hotels and they already sell out just through regular tourism, I foresee no price increase due to this event, it's not remotely big enough.

JT: Hotel prices in NYC will not be jacked up because of a wrestling tournament. In fact, most of the city will be unaware its taking place.

Which is understandable and acceptable in the case of New York. Now in the case of Oklahoma City, I don't feel that it was acceptable (the most of the city will be unaware that it is taking place part). Had it been that way in Des Moines, I'd have no longer proudly called myself an Iowan.

It's not big deal not because people don't know about wrestling or like it in NYC , but because of just how much other isht is going on in the city on any given day. I don't think Midwesterners who've never been to a large east coast city quite comprehend how large they are in comparison. Just think Chicago is dwarfed by NYC.

Anyone know the exact dates for this. Going to be expensive, trains from nj arent cheap and hotels nearby in jersey also arent cheap. I bet the corporate types really come out for the finals

Do you every take the train? I live way further than anyone would be staying and it costs me $9 on the train. If you are close and can take the PATH it's like 2 bucks.

You are pretty close if it's $9 and being close is where the hotels can be expensive. Certainly hotels near the path will be expensive. Down by trenton the trains are like $30

Are the dates known?

Stay in Jersey City or Westchester county and ride the train in. Its easy and will cost you around 100-150 a night as appose to 350 or more. Personally I'm looking forward to it. It will be good for some of the midwestern boys to expand their horizons. I now live in Mizzou but used to live in NYC so will have friends and family to stay with will give me an excuse to go back.

An influx of 50,000 wrestling fans won't be noticed at all.

Note: The NCAA Wrestling Championships do not draw anywhere near 50,000 people. The arenas all seat less than 20k and most people who attend are there for all six sessions. 25k unique visitors is probably even too high.

Unfortunately, wrestling may be the only sport in this country where a significant number of fans actually would question a decision to hold the sport's flagship championship event in New York City - the biggest destination city in the U.S. and the greatest sports town in the world. Wrestling fans never cease to amaze.

That said, the event will definitely sell out and holding the NCAA's in NYC - at MSG, no less - is huge. Yes, NYC is expensive, but 20 million people manage to live there full-time - you'll be able to manage for a couple of days, wrestling fans.

The Hotel Pennsylvania is basically directly across the street from MSG. Stay there and enjoy the convenience; it's not even super pricey.

Don't stay there...

Why not? It's super convenient, affordable considering the location, and easy to get to. Yeah, it's seen better days, but if you're coming to Manhattan for a few days and spend all your time in your hotel room, you've got serious issues.

The place is a dump. Yea it is affordable, and cant beat the location--across the street from MSG. But when I do get back to my room--I want it to be clean and don't want to walk around in my socks because the place is so dirty. Plenty of great Hotels in NYC--much rather pay a little more for a better Hotel.

You think the NCAA will have a block of rooms at this place? Don't think so.

If someone was so inclined they could stat at an airport hotel in Newark and take the shuttle in, but I think that the people staying in Manhattan are going to be better off. I hate St. Patrick's Day in NY, but it might be interesting to someone who's never seen it. I laughed when I first saw this thread as my first thought was that a group of hungry wrestlers could do some damage at Plataforma in Hell's Kitchen. It's an all you can eat Brazilian food orgy that the people on this board would love.

Like Philly, all six sessions will be completely sold out.

And as far as I'm concerned, Midwest fans can go pound sand if they have any complaints. Just quickly counting regions of NCAA tournament locations:

West - 9

Midwest - 47 (including an astonishingly unbalanced 17 out of the last 20!)

East - 26

South - 2

The place is a dump. Yea it is affordable, and cant beat the location--across the street from MSG. But when I do get back to my room--I want it to be clean and don't want to walk around in my socks because the place is so dirty. Plenty of great Hotels in NYC--much rather pay a little more for a better Hotel.

You think the NCAA will have a block of rooms at this place? Don't think so.

Ditto.