MSU158

Tyler Graff's legacy

This kid never really got much recognition on here. I think he has legitimate beef at being the best to never win a title. He wrestled at 133 all 4 years and was part of some amazing brackets.

As a freshman in 2010 he took 5th losing to the eventual champ Jayson Ness and the defending champ Franklin Gomez. An additional note is eventual 2x champ Jordan Oliver took 4th in that same bracket.

As a sophomore in 2011 he took 5th again losing to the eventual champ Jordan Oliver and a super hot Sentes.

He took an Oly redshirt in 2012.

As a junior in 2013 he took 3rd losing only to Ramos. This weight also had a most likely 4X champ in Stieber.

As a senior he avenged two losses to upset the #1 seed Colon. He finally made the finals but lost to Ramos.

His career at 5,5,3,2 is very impressive. My question is, does he warrant more consideration than a 4X AA 1X finalist would?

He was a great wrestler, but to be honest, I don't think he was even the best graduating this year to never win a title. That would be Tyler Caldwell who went 5-2-3-2 losing only to Howe, Amuchastegui, Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor at the tournament over his entire career.

I know Caldwell finished better as a sophomore but he just never passed my eye test. He was really good, yet he never struck me as a Championship caliber wrestler. Caldwell could slow down a match and keep it close with anyone. Graff really tried to push the pace on his feet no matter who his opponent was. It could just be some bias on my part but I fully expected Graff to win a championship after his performance his freshman year. Although I was a fan of Caldwell I never thought he could win one.

I know Caldwell finished better as a sophomore but he just never passed my eye test. He was really good, yet he never struck me as a Championship caliber wrestler. Caldwell could slow down a match and keep it close with anyone. Graff really tried to push the pace on his feet no matter who his opponent was. It could just be some bias on my part but I fully expected Graff to win a championship after his performance his freshman year. Although I was a fan of Caldwell I never thought he could win one.

I think I am stuck here. I think I will take the easy way out and say Graff and Caldwell are even. :lol:

first heard of Graff in 2006 when he beat Mike Grey in Fargo which kept Grey from placing - Graff took 2nd

Grey had just became the 1st 4X NJ champion and had won at 125 at Fargo in 2005

Tyler Caldwell was also in that bracket

after looking at the career bio you listed I would not consider it disappointing

I would agree with Matburn155 that Graff has more ahead...

Did anyone else think it was an incredibly stupid move by Graff to dive at Ramos' ankles, therefore rolling to his back, when he was on bottom (as opposed to neutral)?...especially when you consider he had just rode Ramos out and all he had to do was get out (and avoid getting taken down) for the win. Not trying to pile on Graff, as I was rooting for him and think he is an awesome wrestler. Just surprised nobody has discussed this yet, as it seemed to be the biggest mental mistake of the finals.

Did anyone else think it was an incredibly stupid move by Graff to dive at Ramos' ankles, therefore rolling to his back, when he was on bottom (as opposed to neutral)?...especially when you consider he had just rode Ramos out and all he had to do was get out (and avoid getting taken down) for the win. Not trying to pile on Graff, as I was rooting for him and think he is an awesome wrestler. Just surprised nobody has discussed this yet, as it seemed to be the biggest mental mistake of the finals.

Maybe not in THIS thread, but it was discussed in a couple other threads immediately after NCAAs.

Barry Davis mentioned that he needs to not do that in order to win, turned out to be true.

Yeah Im not sure why he did that. After his rideout i thought he had it won!