Sign in to follow this  
Two_on_one

Yazdani's illegal foot stomping single

Check out how Iran's World Champ Yazdani so easily gets the single leg to the right leg, three times in a row, by stepping on the Russian's foot, in the 2014 World Cup.

Start at the 55:35 point in the video. Then he does it two more times in the next two minutes.

http://footballitarin.com/video_page.php?id=9375

I confess that I was amazed on how slick he was at getting the single until Shahin2000 posted this on another thread. He is clearly stepping on the Russian's foot and obviously doing this intentionally. This apparently is his "go to" move.

Do international refs just not know about him doing this or do they just not call this penalty? Once you are aware of it, you really can't miss seeing it.

Here are the rules as posted by Quanon

Article 49 – General Prohibitions

Wrestlers are fobidden to:

- Pull the hair, ears, genitals, pinch the skin, bite, twist fingers or toes, etc. and generally, to perform actions, gestures or holds with the intention of torturing the opponent or making him suffer to force him to withdraw.

- Kick, head-butt, strangle, push, apply holds that may endanger the opponent’s life or cause a fracture or dislocation of limbs, tread on the feet of the opponent or touch his face between the eyebrows and the line of the mouth.

i think the intent of the rule is to no stomp on the foot as if to injure your opponent. i don't think stepping on it to keep it from moving is a foul.

Could be. That's not what the rule says, though. Check it out yourself on p. 35:

http://www.fila-official.com/images/FIL ... 14_Eng.pdf

If the intent is to prevent stomps, then that's what the rule should say.

Would stepping and staying on the foot be penalized? Probably, but I can't recall ever seeing it happen.

The rule should either be enforced or rewritten.

As it is, if anyone can figure out what the penalty is supposed to be for treading on the feet as a setup to a single leg, I'd like to know what is. Wave the score off? Verbal warning? Caution and 1/2?

Hi all,

I've been a visitor on these forum for a long time. But decided to join now on this hot topic... lol couldn't resist the temptations to add my two cents...

First, Yazdani did it so many times and up to now no wrestler nor the opponent coaches complained.

As some other member here said Dave Schlutz did this all the time too... but no one was penalized for it!?!

I also think, that this is not a direct violation of the rules.

Also Yazdani would never risk his title matchesfor a foolish rules violation.

I go here with gutfirst

i think the intent of the rule is to no stomp on the foot as if to injure your opponent. i don't think stepping on it to keep it from moving is a foul.

as it looks Yazdani is rather "tipping / stepping" and he does it very fast. He doesn't hold his feet there, and it doesnt injure the opponent.

I believe thats why the refs wont call it. and also thats why his opponents and their coaches never complain....

I am actually now becoming a bigger fan of Yazdani, he is not only a very strong wrestler, but also a very smart and tricky one... :D

I think FILA has to be more precise with their rules.

(hope thats not a too silly first post ...lol)

This is what we get for belonging to a governing body that writes the rules first in French then translates them to English. After 3 years of high school French (I can still conjugate some verbs!), I would have never translated "marcher" as "tread."

Here's the French version, which is the original.

http://www.fila-official.com/images/FIL ... 14_Fra.pdf

"de marcher sur les pieds de l'adversaire" which means "walking/stepping on the feet of the opponent"

It doesn't say stomping, which would be "marcher d'un pas lourd" or "piétiner" .

vocabulary could be the problem. it seems as the other illegal actions listed in article 49 have an implication of causing injury. why wouldn't treading on the foot be interpreted the same way?

the refs can decide if treading is done to cause injury or not. clearly yazdani is not trying to injure anyone's foot. the same cannot be said when he finishes a lift.

Here's the French version, which is the original.

http://www.fila-official.com/images/FIL ... 14_Fra.pdf

"de marcher sur les pieds de l'adversaire" which means "walking/stepping on the feet of the opponent"

It doesn't say stomping, which would be "marcher d'un pas lourd" or "piétiner" .

vocabulary could be the problem. it seems as the other illegal actions listed in article 49 have an implication of causing injury. why wouldn't treading on the foot be interpreted the same way?

the refs can decide if treading is done to cause injury or not. clearly yazdani is not trying to injure anyone's foot. the same cannot be said when he finishes a lift.

I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking, but I'm not 100% there. Here's the passage:

[Wrestlers are forbidden to]

- Kick, head-butt, strangle, push, apply holds that may endanger the opponent’s life or cause a fracture or dislocation of limbs, tread on the feet of the opponent or touch his face between the eyebrows and the line of the mouth.

Wrestlers are forbidden to push? This makes no sense at all. It must mean push their opponent off the mat into danger (the French says the same thing as the English, by the way).

Now the question is this - why can't touch you touch the face between the eyebrows and the line of the mouth? This does not result in immediate injury. Because it can lead to eye gouging, fishhooking, etc? Or because it can lead to covering up the opponent's eyes? The rule is, you can't touch the face - no explanation.

Why can't you talk during the match (also forbidden, not dangerous)? Why can't you seize the sole of the opponent's foot (also forbidden)? I don't even think I understand what that means.

While we're on the subject, here are some other rules.

Article 52 – Illegal Holds

The following holds and actions are illegal and strictly prohibited:

- Holding the head or neck with two hands, as well as all situations and positions of strangulation [...]

- Chancery hold with one or two hands in any direction whatsoever [...]

How many times have you seen the "football" hold, where someone like Aldatov snaps the opponent into a front headlock by holding the chin and the back of the head?

This also makes any cowcatcher, cement mixer/job, etc. illegal (unless used from a head and arm hold). Ever seen one of those used in freestyle?

Article 52 – Illegal Holds

- Chancery hold with one or two hands in any direction whatsoever [...]

How many times have you seen the "football" hold, where someone like Aldatov snaps the opponent into a front headlock by holding the chin and the back of the head?

This also makes any cowcatcher, cement mixer/job, etc. illegal (unless used from a head and arm hold). Ever seen one of those used in freestyle?

To my understanding, a "chancery hold" is when you wrap your arm around the head, like you would in a front headlock. If that's true, then I have no idea what "with one or two hands in any direction whatsoever" means. It cannot mean a cowcatcher/mixer hold, because everyone does those.

Also, you bring up a good point about the "football" tie. That's two hands on the head, which is illegal in freestyle and yet I've never seen it called for a penalty.

To my understanding, a "chancery hold" is when you wrap your arm around the head, like you would in a front headlock. If that's true, then I have no idea what "with one or two hands in any direction whatsoever" means. It cannot mean a cowcatcher/mixer hold, because everyone does those.

The cowcatcher/mixer hold is the chancery hold, and it can be illegal even if everyone does them -- because if no ref ever calls it, then how would you know? That's my point.

My understanding is that a chancery is a front headlock hold around the chin plus an underhook. Again, what does this rule mean? I bring this up on the boards occasionally -- I've never gotten an answer.

If I had to guess, any action that torques the neck, like a chin whip, is illegal? So is a cowcatcher illegal?

If I had to guess, any action that torques the neck, like a chin whip, is illegal? So is a cowcatcher illegal?

Folkstyle refs enforce their neck torque rule only when the cowcatching/chin whipping wrestler pulls on the chin to either side, so maybe freestyle refs do the same? That still doesn't clarify the football situation... FILA really needs to rewrite some of these sections from the ground up. When was the last time this illegal moves section received an overhaul to clarify some of the language?

FILA really needs to rewrite some of these sections from the ground up.

Absolutely. It also needs pictures, which I believe it used to have a few decades ago.

Football tie, double collar tie -- illegal ("Holding the head or neck with two hands")

"Double Nelson" -- legal ("if ... executed from the side without the use of the legs on any part of the opponent’s body")

This stuff has been bothering me for years. The rulebook is a mess.

Rulebook definitely needs to be overhauled and clarified.

Pushing is illegal? Half the greco matches I've ever watched mainly consist of the wrestlers pushing each other and little else.

Look at how this rule is written under Article 49 General Prohibitions

"Agree with the match result between themselves"

It is in regards to fixing the match and that is how they write it (or translate it).

He did it to Bergman also. At 0:34 1:42 and 6:10. And the ref spent half the match shaking his finger at Bergman. Totally asleep at the wheel.

Wow, I agree with that other poster, didn't notice it until it was pointed out and now it is obvious.

It is clearly deliberate.

I wonder how many takedowns he scores without stepping on his opponent's foot.