Sign in to follow this  
potdangerous

Flo goes from pirate to plaintiff

All the NWCA all star classic personal videos shot on cell phones and subsequently placed on youtube are being taken down due to Flocast copyright claims (I didn't realize they had exclusive rights).

In general I'm supportive of software copyrights by their owners, but these actions by Flo are a bit strange and I'm wondering if they bother any of y'all.

First, its not as if these were streams that Flo broadcasted, these were bootleg-quality videos...seems unlikely that this would take much revenue away from Flo (although Flo's copyright claims do take eyeballs off wrestling).

Second, I'm sure all of us remember the ESPN clips of NCAA championship matches that ended up on Flo (they still do, occasionally, but it's no longer embraced by Flo). Our ole boy JB stood up for what was right and refused to recognize Flo as a legitimate website until they cleaned up their act.

I guess the conclusion that I'm drawing is that wrestling doesn't owe Flo a thing. They are a business trying to capture a market and turn a profit. That's fine, but I don't want to hear this "do what's right for the good of wrestling" BS anymore.

Maybe I was too emotionally attached to Flo...bummer.

fox sports was the first to have the rights to the event and will be tape delaying it. flow probably has secondary rights to the event to just air the event live on stream.

they were a huge pirate of wrestling and now they are trying to push others out.

pot meet kettle.

every once in a while flow provides a good service but if they are not streaming a dual they are just obnoxious. i use to be over there watching videos when they started and now i only go if people post links on another forum of a match and it ends up taking me to flow.

do good for wrestling is their hook that has allowed them to exploit the sport. they claim the sport cant thrive without them while they are only interested in going to big ten duals anyways and they cant cover those. i was never more annoyned than when they went to the penn state iowa dual and couldnt broadcast so they showed the crowd. get to a dual you can show to fans if you want to help the sport.

I can see Flo or Fox claiming copyright if someone say, downloaded their webcast and resposted it somewhere as their own (especially Fox, since they haven't aired the event yet); but do media rights typically include not-for-profit/personal use videos shot on handcams, smartphones, etc.? Key words here being "personal use".

I suppose I wouldn't expect the broadcasters to allow fans to film an NCAA Div I basketball game from their seat or an NFL game, but on the other hand, the schools/teams receive some nice royalties for surrendering IP rights to the media rights. Maybe they're unrelated, I have no idea. So is Flo paying out the same type of royalties to the NCAA, schools, wrestling programs? I think if we saw the numbers, we'd be able to make a much better determination as to whether the copyright claims are acceptable and how much (if any) of the $20 subscription fee is actually going to the wrestling programs.

The other bit that's obviously eating people up is that even at the Div I level, wrestling is very much a family sport with a tight community - much moreso than Basketball or Football in comparison, anyway. A sizeable portion of the fans who attend these events are probably family or ex-athletes who want to record and share the footage for the benefit of the community and to promote the sport, not to turn a buck in online advertising or whatever. And I agree with that sentiment.

All the NWCA all star classic personal videos shot on cell phones and subsequently placed on youtube are being taken down due to Flocast copyright claims (I didn't realize they had exclusive rights).

In general I'm supportive of software copyrights by their owners, but these actions by Flo are a bit strange and I'm wondering if they bother any of y'all.

First, its not as if these were streams that Flo broadcasted, these were bootleg-quality videos...seems unlikely that this would take much revenue away from Flo (although Flo's copyright claims do take eyeballs off wrestling).

Second, I'm sure all of us remember the ESPN clips of NCAA championship matches that ended up on Flo (they still do, occasionally, but it's no longer embraced by Flo). Our ole boy JB stood up for what was right and refused to recognize Flo as a legitimate website until they cleaned up their act.

I guess the conclusion that I'm drawing is that wrestling doesn't owe Flo a thing. They are a business trying to capture a market and turn a profit. That's fine, but I don't want to hear this "do what's right for the good of wrestling" BS anymore.

Maybe I was too emotionally attached to Flo...bummer.

What is this about Pirates?

I realize that Flo has to make money and can do whatever they choose, but over the past year their product has gone downhill.

It went from every other video was preceded by an ad to a mandatory ad before almost every video. That part I'm somewhat okay with. The layout or format of the site has changed and does not have the same simplicity or intuitiveness it once had, and finally, I don't believe they are ready for becoming a pay-per-view subscriber based site, not yet anyway.

I still believe that for a site like flowrestling.org (ORG? Non-profit? Are you kidding me?) open and free content supplemented by advertising is the best biz model for them. I'm sure their open and free content and impressive coverage would result in enough hits, clicks, views, and forwards to warrant a positive cash flow at the end of the day. Whatever they're doing now is alienating their customer, lowering their hits, clicks, views, and forwards while offering a product that is not as good as it used to be despite having the market leverage and invested technology to offer an improved product.

While there is nothing technically wrong with this move, and it is obviously within Flo's rights to do it, I am surprised by it. You would think someone promoting a sport with such a small fan base that is struggling to get any coverage would welcome fan-generated media of any kind. In the end, it all serves to expand the fan base, which in turn would benefit Flo. The addressable market for Flo as a media business is puny at the moment, so instead of trying to protect such a small revenue opportunity, they should do everything possible to expand it.

By the way, I have been a paid subscriber to Flo's services since their inception, so they get my money in support of their efforts. I think they're one of the best things to happen to the sport in a long time, but I think this move is stupid on their part -- very short-sighted.

I fully admit there may be a reason we're all overlooking behind this move, which seems to me to be against the spirit of everything Flo has done to date.