Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Wrestlers Moving up in 2014-2015

I can't imagine Brown bumping up when he has a pretty good chance of winning a national championship right where he is. Granted it will be tough with Evans, Storely,and Koskesh, but I don't even think he has a shot at 184.

Regarding Cox moving up, I am skeptical it will happen. Per Brian Smith on this week's Tiger Talk, "heavyweights do nothing" and the coaching staff's concern with J'Den wrestling heavyweight is that it would stifle his style and perhaps detract from his dynamic abilities. In addition, I am pretty sure he said J'Den is going to be wrestling 97 kg internationally.l

Is Cox really that big? He did not strike me as a huge 197. Maybe the cut is more than I anticipated, or maybe he just does not want to make the cut. If he does he is one that I will like to watch because I do not anticipate that his style will look anything like Tony Nelson or many of the other heavies.

And you don't have to be a huge Heavy to rule. David Zabriskie was only about 225-230 at the time and he did OK. Now he is at 211 for Free, so he was never all that big to begin with. But he did very well to adopt his style so that he was not often caught under a larger body.

J'Den may bring some new excitement to 285 - and I think that we would all welcome that.

Alan Waters is enormous at 125. He's an inch shorter than McDonough but thicker in the upper body. I have no idea how he makes the cut without it affecting his conditioning with one-hour weigh-ins.

I think there's a decent chance he moves up to 133. He had talked about it several months ago in interviews, so I think it's still undecided, but I think he'll take the opportunity provided by a massive exodus of seniors (Ramos, Graff, Colon, Morrison, Thorn, Mango, Quiroga...) to move up.

i heard (and no idea if it's true) that Carter will go 149.

count me as one that thinks McIntosh needs to be at 184.

it was interesting...last year at this time i talked to J'Den about his summer wrestling plans and he said he was going to be on campus as soon as possible bulking up and transitioning for HWT.

obviously, those plans changed. really interested to see if he'll be 197 or HWT going forward.