Sign in to follow this  
papride

Tim Flynn-COTY

When is the last time Cael won the Coach of the Year award? I definitely would have given it to Cael this year. Cael is without a doubt the best coach in the ncaa. Right now, I don't believe anyone else has a legitimate argument for that title.

Couldn't agree more about Flynn. Great coach. Great guy.

I know I am beating a dead horse by pointing out Mich State's performance issues, but the fact that they spend almost $900K on that program is both laughable and embarrassing at the same time.

Rameses

Couldn't agree more about Flynn. Great coach. Great guy.

I know I am beating a dead horse by pointing out Mich State's performance issues, but the fact that they spend almost $900K on that program is both laughable and embarrassing at the same time.

Rameses

Michigan State will be better next year. They had three guys who could have started in the lineup redshirting this year, and should be better. That said, it probably won't show up in the records, because the entire Big Ten (aside from Indiana, Penn State, and new arrival Maryland) should be improved.

Flynn was named NCAA-COTY and Flowrestling-COTY. Some very nice work done here to validate what Tim has been doing for years.

http://www.dtenwrestling.com/2014/03/validating-tim-flynn-of-edinboro-as.html

Agree. He is the example of how to do much more with less.

If Cael gets it done next year he is an easy pick.

I think Cael is an easy pick this year. It seems to me that certain coaches get more praise for "doing more with less. I think it's quite possible that a big reason for having "less" is because of a weakness/flaw that the coach himself has. A flaw that, if changed, could have him starting with much more than he actually had.

Didn't Edinboro only have 3 AAs? Port, Schopp, and Habat. Edinboro's two best wrestlers didn't wrestle to seed. Habat finished 4 places higher than his seed. Why does this team performance give Flynn the award over Cael? What's the argument?

Wrong.

Edinboro doesn't have 9.9 to play with.

The fact Flynn consistently puts out title contenders is undeniable to anyone with a clue.

PSU should win it every year. Cael will deserve it next year if he gets it done without the 60 team points the two once in a decade type wrestlers graduate.

If PSU decimated the field I would change my opinion.

Wrong.

The fact Flynn consistently puts out title contenders is undeniable to anyone with a clue.

PSU should win it every year. Cael will deserve it next year if he gets it done without the 60 team points the two once in a decade type wrestlers graduate.

Wrong about what exactly?

I see no good reason why Cael shouldn't have gotten it this year. I often see comments along the line of "Cael wins because he has two once in a generation wrestlers" or something similar. Statements like that seem to imply that Cael had absolutely nothing to do with the success of Ruth and Taylor. As if Ruth and Taylor came into college with the ability to win ncaa titles from day one. That's strange to me.

And if we are talking about the performance of the top guys, just look at Schopp and Port. Those two were highly rated guys coming into the season, and going into the ncaas. Both lost to wrestlers that they beat ealier in the year, and both finished below seed. If it's so easy to win with the top guys, why weren't Schopp and Port able to get the job done?

I could simply take a cue from some around these boards and say, "Yeah Flynn took Edinboro to a 5th place finish with 3 AAs, but he had two star wrestlers on his roster this year, let's see how he does when they graduate". Why is that so much different than what some say about Ruth and Taylor?

Flynn was named NCAA-COTY and Flowrestling-COTY. Some very nice work done here to validate what Tim has been doing for years.

I think Cael is an easy pick this year. It seems to me that certain coaches get more praise for "doing more with less. I think it's quite possible that a big reason for having "less" is because of a weakness/flaw that the coach himself has. A flaw that, if changed, could have him starting with much more than he actually had.

Didn't Edinboro only have 3 AAs? Port, Schopp, and Habat. Edinboro's two best wrestlers didn't wrestle to seed. Habat finished 4 places higher than his seed. Why does this team performance give Flynn the award over Cael? What's the argument?

Does anyone know what Edinboro's kids were ranked coming out of high school?

I wonder if they didn't under perform at the NCAAs but just had a few really big wins during the season that gave them inflated seeds or maybe their opponents under performed during the season against the Edinboro kids because they were just wrestling an Edinboro kid and not some Big Ten school?

Did anyone pick any of the Edinboro kids, other than a reach or due to their seed, to win a title?

Wrong.

Wrong about what exactly?

I see no good reason why Cael shouldn't have gotten it this year. I often see comments along the line of "Cael wins because he has two once in a generation wrestlers" or something similar. Statements like that seem to imply that Cael had absolutely nothing to do with the success of Ruth and Taylor. As if Ruth and Taylor came into college with the ability to win ncaa titles from day one. That's strange to me.

And if we are talking about the performance of the top guys, just look at Schopp and Port. Those two were highly rated guys coming into the season, and going into the ncaas. Both lost to wrestlers that they beat ealier in the year, and both finished below seed. If it's so easy to win with the top guys, why weren't Schopp and Port able to get the job done?

I could simply take a cue from some around these boards and say, "Yeah Flynn took Edinboro to a 5th place finish with 3 AAs, but he had two star wrestlers on his roster this year, let's see how he does when they graduate". Why is that so much different than what some say about Ruth and Taylor?

I voted for Cael to come in second in the Intermat voting behind Flynn. I felt like the job Cael did with his depth guys (Exhibit A: James English), not so much his stars, deserved his spot, but Flynn also has a very strong dual team in addition to the stars he has anchoring the bottom of the lineup. Without question, IMO, Cael did his best coaching job of his career this year, however.

Will be interesting to see how Penn State is next year. I have them tied for third as of now as a tournament team, and second (way behind Iowa) as a dual team.

What are the flaws you are implying Tim Flynn has?

Perhaps his recruiting is contributing to the "less" he's having to do "more" with. I think this could possibly be part of the reason for the "less" for a lot of coaches.

I voted for Cael to come in second in the Intermat voting behind Flynn. I felt like the job Cael did with his depth guys (Exhibit A: James English), not so much his stars, deserved his spot, but Flynn also has a very strong dual team in addition to the stars he has anchoring the bottom of the lineup. Without question, IMO, Cael did his best coaching job of his career this year, however.

SHP,

Why is the job that Cael did with his stars not count as much as the depth guys? Especially in light of what Flynn failed to do with his stars? Cael is a big reason Ruth and Taylor became stars to begin with. I've seen this ignored quite a few times.

Cael also has a great dual team in addition to his stars SHP, does he not? What exactly was the reason for you giving Flynn the nod over Cael?

When is the last time Cael won the Coach of the Year award? I definitely would have given it to Cael this year. Cael is without a doubt the best coach in the ncaa. Right now, I don't believe anyone else has a legitimate argument for that title.

Cael won the NWCA Coach of the Year Award last year.

SHP,

Why is the job that Cael did with his stars not count as much as the depth guys? Especially in light of what Flynn failed to do with his stars? Cael is a big reason Ruth and Taylor became stars to begin with. I've seen this ignored quite a few times.

Cael also has a great dual team in addition to his stars SHP, does he not? What exactly was the reason for you giving Flynn the nod over Cael?

Because Flynn has to do all of that with, oh (I'm not sure the exact amount of money he has to play with, but I know it's not a full deck), about half the number of scholarships. Not to mention, his depth wrestlers are also very solid, even if he didn't get all ten of them to Nationals.

Superold are you saying that Cael was magically a better coach when he got to PSU and started landing better recruiting classes?

You know you can love Cael and still recognize others, right? If you are worried a recruit will see this and decide to turn down a scholarship to Penn State to wrestle at Edinboro then you have nothing to worry about.

Because Flynn has to do all of that with, oh (I'm not sure the exact amount of money he has to play with, but I know it's not a full deck), about half the number of scholarships. Not to mention, his depth wrestlers are also very solid, even if he didn't get all ten of them to Nationals

It's hard for me to see your point SHP. Flynn does have less, but he's also doing less. Many make it seem as if he's consistently doing just as much as the top programs with less, but he's not. I don't see why what Flynn's doing with what he has is any greater than what Cael is doing with what he has. I'd like to hear an argument for why so many believe that's the case. And that's not directed specifically at you SHP, but to anyone who likes to make that argument.

Have you ever voted for Cael over Flynn?

Superold are you saying that Cael was magically a better coach when he got to PSU and started landing better recruiting classes?

You know you can love Cael and still recognize others, right? If you are worried a recruit will see this and decide to turn down a scholarship to Penn State to wrestle at Edinboro then you have nothing to worry about.

No, I wouldn't say it was magic. Are you saying that Flynn would be doing a better job than Cael if he got the job at Penn State?

I do recognize Flynn, he's a good coach. Cael is a great coach. I'm not worried about Penn State or Edinboro recruiting.

Perhaps his recruiting is contributing to the "less" he's having to do "more" with. I think this could possibly be part of the reason for the "less" for a lot of coaches.

You're telling me that if you were given what Edinboro has facility-wise, money-wise, etc etc. you could recruit the same kids that PSU recruits?

Did you ever hear of Mitchell Port, AJ Schopp or Dave Habat before college?

Did you ever hear of David Taylor or Ed Ruth before college?

Those two PSU kids were going to win national titles no matter where they went. The 3 Edinboro kids weren't going to finish top 4 (2 of those 3 have done it twice now) at just any school.

Does anyone know how many ncaa champs that Flynn has had at Edinboro?

Three: Josh Koscheck (2001/174), Gregor Gillespie (2007/149), and Jarrod King (2009/165).

Flynn wasn't able to get any of these guys to win a second title. I think it's a lot harder to get guys back to the top of the mountain than many are making it seem. Cael was able to get Wright, Ruth, and Taylor back to the top. Flynn hasn't been able to get his 3 champs back to the finals. And as I already mentioned before, he wasn't able to get his #1 and #2 seed to the championship this year. Both guys lost to someone that they beat earlier in the year.