Sign in to follow this  
papride

Tim Flynn-COTY

Cael Sanderson did a great job in getting a true freshman at a tough weight, an undersized guy at a big weight and a 6th year practice partner onto the podium. He could have been coach of the year.

Tim Flynn did an outstanding job getting an underfunded DII school into the Top 5 at the NCAA championships. He is coach of the year and it is a well deserved honor!

Cael Sanderson did a great job in getting a true freshman at a tough weight, an undersized guy at a big weight and a 6th year practice partner onto the podium. He could have been coach of the year.

Tim Flynn did an outstanding job getting an underfunded DII school into the Top 5 at the NCAA championships. He is coach of the year and it is a well deserved honor!

Do you believe that Flynn deserved the award over Cael?

Does this forum have an ignore function for specific users posts?

Agreed. That guy has been like this in quite a few threads. Threads that are made to congratulate someone and talk about their accomplishments.

Don't worry, he's the same guy who hogged the James English thread by saying he didn't see why that was even a story fit for telling. Only the champions have a real story to tell. He uses real sound logic and is always asking people to explain themselves when they attempt to point out that he is often just being a jerk.

yes

Yes there is an ignore function but it shows up in the thread that "so and so is on your ignore list and has made a post, to see their post click here." Then out of curiosity, you wind up clicking on their post. lol

Does this forum have an ignore function for specific users posts?

Agreed. That guy has been like this in quite a few threads. Threads that are made to congratulate someone and talk about their accomplishments.

Don't worry, he's the same guy who hogged the James English thread by saying he didn't see why that was even a story fit for telling. Only the champions have a real story to tell. He uses real sound logic and is always asking people to explain themselves when they attempt to point out that he is often just being a jerk.

I'm not sure why you say that I hogged the James English thread, I only made a few posts there. I was just giving a different perspective on the topic, that's it.

No need to say that I'm being a jerk, it doesn't add anything to the thread.

yes

Why?

"Do you disagree with anything that I said about Cael or Flynn?"

Is there a difference between being the best coach in the NCAA versus being named the coach of the year?

I guess there is. Gable didn't win coach of the year every year back when he had his run.

Is there a difference between being the best coach in the NCAA versus being named the coach of the year?

I guess there is. Gable didn't win coach of the year every year back when he had his run.

But should there be?

People from as close as NJ have never even heard of Edinboro University. I'd bet some people in PA don't know where Edinboro is located. Love what Flynn is doing.

Flynn is doing better than most, can't take that away from him.

But should there be?

Should there be? Hmm, good question. I'm not sure that there really should be a coach of the year award separate from the ncaas. What I mean is, the coach of the ncaa team champions should be the coach of the year. The team trophy should also be seen as the coach of the year trophy.

So yes, I guess there would be a difference. If one coach wins 5 ncaa team titles in a row, and he's knocked off by a coach who didn't have a trophy before, I think that would be a case of the best coach who fails to win the coach of the year award.

Wrong.

Edinboro doesn't have 9.9 to play with.

The fact Flynn consistently puts out title contenders is undeniable to anyone with a clue.

PSU should win it every year. Cael will deserve it next year if he gets it done without the 60 team points the two once in a decade type wrestlers graduate.

If PSU decimated the field I would change my opinion.

Wrong about what exactly?

I see no good reason why Cael shouldn't have gotten it this year. I often see comments along the line of "Cael wins because he has two once in a generation wrestlers" or something similar. Statements like that seem to imply that Cael had absolutely nothing to do with the success of Ruth and Taylor. As if Ruth and Taylor came into college with the ability to win ncaa titles from day one. That's strange to me.

And if we are talking about the performance of the top guys, just look at Schopp and Port. Those two were highly rated guys coming into the season, and going into the ncaas. Both lost to wrestlers that they beat ealier in the year, and both finished below seed. If it's so easy to win with the top guys, why weren't Schopp and Port able to get the job done?

I could simply take a cue from some around these boards and say, "Yeah Flynn took Edinboro to a 5th place finish with 3 AAs, but he had two star wrestlers on his roster this year, let's see how he does when they graduate". Why is that so much different than what some say about Ruth and Taylor?

I personally had no problem with Flynn winning the award. I think he was deserving of it. However look up at what I put in bold that you wrote. You make a very, very good point that is often overlooked. I am doing an analysis of all of the graduating seniors accomplishments that I'm putting together. Taylor had losses his redshirt year to guys that he wouldn't have lost to later on as did Ruth. They were good, damn good, but I'm with you in that I don't think they would've enjoyed the same success they did elsewhere. As of right now Sanderson is mainly seen as the guy that just has the prestige to recruit the best of the best. While he does recruit blue chippers, he is also helping to make them even better than what they are.

What are the flaws you are implying Tim Flynn has?

Perhaps his recruiting is contributing to the "less" he's having to do "more" with. I think this could possibly be part of the reason for the "less" for a lot of coaches.

Because you're superold I'll help you.

Cael has a full boat of scholarship money to offer kids where Flynn has half of that.

Double up Flynn's money and see what he could do.

I hate it when PSU Nuthuggers go crazy for crap like this cuz' it makes me look at what they didn't do.

For every Taylor and Ruth there are:

Megaludis not in the finals, went backwards this year in the same field

Gulibon, poor choice seeing how Conaway beat alot of the same competition and made it to the round of 12

2x Altons, nothing here to beat the horse that has been dead for 2 years

Brown, add only Howe, Brown's performance against the top guys went backwards as the year progressed

McIntosh, underperformed

I think this guy is driving everyone crazy, sounds like a cry baby that got his toy stollen. Relax, everyone thinks Cael is an awesome coach. PSU won NCAA's... Flynn deserved COTY without question. Think about what an average person at home would think when tuning into the NCAA's and seeing Edinboro in the top 5?! I think both coaches are great for the sport. Flynn is great at finding those darkhorse recruits too.

I think this guy is driving everyone crazy, sounds like a cry baby that got his toy stollen. Relax, everyone thinks Cael is an awesome coach. PSU won NCAA's... Flynn deserved COTY without question. Think about what an average person at home would think when tuning into the NCAA's and seeing Edinboro in the top 5?! I think both coaches are great for the sport. Flynn is great at finding those darkhorse recruits too.

Why exactly did Flynn deserve the COTY without question? I don't believe that at all.

Couldn't agree more about Flynn. Great coach. Great guy.

I know I am beating a dead horse by pointing out Mich State's performance issues, but the fact that they spend almost $900K on that program is both laughable and embarrassing at the same time.

Rameses

ASU spends just as much and gets even less.

Wrong.

Edinboro doesn't have 9.9 to play with.

Wrong about what exactly? Cael blah.......

I highlighted why Flynn does more with less.

I never denied that Flynn had less than 9.9 scholarships, so I'm not sure how I'm wrong.

A tidbit about 2 of Flynns 3 champs.... King won it as the 12 seed and Gillespie as the 5 seed...

Interesting. Once those guys won the title, it was proven that they were elite wrestlers who could contend for the title every year. Under Flynn these guys weren't able to win the title again or get back to the finals. After Gillespie won his title, he placed 5th and 4th the next two years. King placed third after winning, and so did Koscheck. I merely point this out to show that it's not as easy as it seems to many to get your top guys to stay on top.