Sign in to follow this  
closer617

Some athletic directors get money for NCAA Champs

Gene Smith from Ohio State got a bonus of $18,000 for Logan Stieber's NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP......wow...wait until next year when Ohio State has a line up like Penn State has had for 4 years. Gene Smith will see some serious bonus money as Ohio State racks up bonus points at the NCAA TOURNEY......3 OR 4 champs and national title.

Smith's contract is full of bonuses like that. There are bonuses for individual national champions in every sport, final fours in basketball, bowl games in football, academic all-americans, etc., etc.

His base salary is around $950K, but he can make up to $1.5 million if he hits all of his bonus points.

Also of note, I've read from a few people more in the know that I that Smith has stated that he intends to give the bonus money to the program that earned it. I hope it's true that the wrestling program will end up with $18k more to play with. Also, Tom Ryan has posted on FB that he's a fan of the AD getting bonuses for accomplishments within the department. Smith runs the largest athletics department in the country with 36 varsity sports and close to 1000 scholarship athletes, so the fact that tOSU is so competitive on the national level in so many sports is pretty impressive.

Smith has stated that he intends to give the bonus money to the program that earned it. I hope it's true that the wrestling program will end up with $18k more to play with. Also, Tom Ryan has posted on FB that he's a fan of the AD getting bonuses for accomplishments within the department. Smith runs the largest athletics department in the country with 36 varsity sports and close to 1000 scholarship athletes, so the fact that tOSU is so competitive on the national level in so many sports is pretty impressive.

Good stuff.