Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Would you rather be Oklahoma State or Minnesota?

I'd expect them to want to go to the team that produces the best individuals compared to where they were ranked as recruits. A coach that can turn a guy ranked 200th into an AA is worth a lot more than can get an AA finish out of somebody ranked in the top 5.

How did Penn State get added to the conversation?

I'd expect them to want to go to the team that produces the best individuals compared to where they were ranked as recruits. A coach that can turn a guy ranked 200th into an AA is worth a lot more than can get an AA finish out of somebody ranked in the top 5.

How did Penn State get added to the conversation?

Really? We need to cut on the JRob camps. I have sent many young kids there that came back absolutely loving wrestling. His college guys get to work out and make good money as well. You can be an Okie St. fan but don't be an idiot.

Make good money? How much do you think they make a week? I friend of mine was a multiple state champion HOF HS coach that was a guest coach for the week while JRob camp was in town. He was paid $300 for the week. Well below minimum wage for the hours he put in. They asked him to come back the next year. He declined. Couldn't afford it.

Wrestling camps are D1's dirty little secret. Coaches often require their wrestlers to work a week or two at the camps (as a counselor) for what is generally slave wages. The worst part is that this prevents the wrestlers from getting a meaningful summer job. Many coaches use the camps as a way of supplementing their lousy salary. Generally the camps are run by team members you never heard of and the head coach or a big name wrestler will drop in for the last day or two like a rock star doing the closing act. I have seen this same program over and over. Not just JRob's' camps.

Really? We need to cut on the JRob camps. I have sent many young kids there that came back absolutely loving wrestling. His college guys get to work out and make good money as well. You can be an Okie St. fan but don't be an idiot.

Make good money? How much do you think they make a week? I friend of mine was a multiple state champion HOF HS coach that was a guest coach for the week while JRob camp was in town. He was paid $300 for the week. Well below minimum wage for the hours he put in. They asked him to come back the next year. He declined. Couldn't afford it.

Wrestling camps are D1's dirty little secret. Coaches often require their wrestlers to work a week or two at the camps (as a counselor) for what is generally slave wages. The worst part is that this prevents the wrestlers from getting a meaningful summer job. Many coaches use the camps as a way of supplementing their lousy salary. Generally the camps are run by team members you never heard of and the head coach or a big name wrestler will drop in for the last day or two like a rock star doing the closing act. I have seen this same program over and over. Not just JRob's' camps.

So what would be a meaningful summer job if working with the influential youth in a sport you love is not?

JRob is quite famous for helping his wrestlers to do well financially during and after college. Let's not throw around terms like "slave" casually simply because we "feel" that someone should be paid a little more over the course of an entire week or even two. Have you heard of volunteer jobs that many people do at various stages of their lives doing things they enjoy (or learning skills or connecting with people who could help their career later or for a number of other reasons) ? Obviously, your friend had the option to decline and avoid being deeply traumatized financially by the glaring injustice of JRob's comp structure. Somehow, I doubt the spot remained vacant altogether.

Summer jobs / 2 week gigs are not supposed to be resembling full-time jobs with comp, benefits etc but instead done for largely non-financial reasons (see above). Even in F/T jobs, if one feels he is underpaid for what his skill set fetches in the given market, he simply makes a decision to leave (or not) instead of whining about lack of "justice" or "fairness". Which is what your friend did. And which makes the system great and self-correcting.

Both teams have higher goals than what they accomplished. As team performances go, I think both teams exceeded most people's expectations. When looking solely at individual performances, both teams can take satisfaction in some of their wrestler's performances and also find disappointment in others. OK ST ends the year with 2 of their individuals who accomplished their goal. 3 others who were close as AA's. MN ends the year none of their individuals accomplishing their goal. 7 others who were close as AA's. For almost any other program these could be looked at as phenominal years, but for MN and OK ST they are exciting, but not the ultimate goal. I think OK ST overachieved more at the NCAA tournament, so maybe give them a slight edge due to the 2 champions?

Ok state has the same sick feeling about Morrison

True, if Morrison wrestles to seed Oklahoma State has a chance to win if he picks up some bonus. But, given that it took Oklahoma State bringing 10 wrestlers, getting good to great performances out of nine of them, putting the entire middle of its lineup in the finals, and crowning two champs just to get within shouting distance - I don't know how unhappy they can be. On the other hand, Minny brought only nine and was in a position to win with only seven of those guys putting in good performances. If the Dardanes boys place, you win. If they wrestle to seed, you win going away - and that's with Nelson getting upset in the final.