Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Kendric Maple

What exactly happened with him this year?

At this time last year, he was probably thought of as one of the most likely to win in 2014 (after Taylor and Ruth).

It wasn't just the post season, he had some head scratching losses in the regular season too. I don't recall seeing a defending national champ regress like that, even with a bump up in weight classes.

It's not supernatural, we've seen the same thing happen to a number of high profile seniors over the last few years. Each guy I'm sure has his different issues, but a lot of times I think we forget how hard it is to stay at the very top of the game for a long period of time. Some guys just burn out, or maybe they plateau and have already realized the top end of their potential, while other guys are gaining on them.

McDonough, St. John, Maple, Pucillo, etc. Also, it seemed like last year Maple was physically superior to most of his opponents in terms of his combination of speed, strength, and reach. The bump to 149 didn't do him any favors. Houdashelt beat him by basically just being more physical.

They diagnosed a blood disorder that was supposed to be the reason why he would have late match gas tank issues. I wonder if the medication they prescribed caused issues along with getting married. School and wrestling are hard enough to juggle. Add in medication and marriage and you can see why Maple faltered.

I posted this in an earlier thread about Maple:

Maple is not that good on his feet. He has great quickness/explosiveness, but he is lacking in technique. His TD setups are usually very poor. Of course he has decent setups sometimes, but he lacks consistency. Imo, he's not even close to being a legitimate contender for the World team right now. With that said, he has a lot of potential, and if he adds one or two solid go to TDs to his arsenal, he will be a problem for anyone currently on the circuit imo. He has the necessary physical attributes. Now he needs to develop the skills to go with it. I think he should be further along than where he is right now.

I've heard a few different things, but not sure how accurate they are: He had already graduated college, got married, and already won a national championship. He didn't really have the fire/desire this year, and he's up a weight class. I hadn't heard of the blood thing, but that definitely would hinder his wrestling.

Pretty impressive if he could still AA with all of those circumstances.

Maple is not that good on his feet. He has great quickness/explosiveness, but he is lacking in technique. His TD setups are usually very poor. Of course he has decent setups sometimes, but he lacks consistency. Imo, he's not even close to being a legitimate contender for the World team right now. With that said, he has a lot of potential, and if he adds one or two solid go to TDs to his arsenal, he will be a problem for anyone currently on the circuit imo. He has the necessary physical attributes. Now he needs to develop the skills to go with it. I think he should be further along than where he is right now.

And what you posted earlier, as you have in the past, is PATENTLY WRONG. If you are a wrestling coach, jesus I feel bad for your wrestlers. Technique is NOT the answer to every wrestler's pitfalls. And I know for a fact, that, it had nothing to do with Maple's regression.

I heard he never weighed over 149lbs all year.

This above all else. He kept it close with Streebler who weighed in around 142 at the All-Star Match. Maple apparently couldn't hack it with the bigger wrestlers coming down to 149. Not everyone is Kyle Dake.

you posted this, too:

Great match between Stieber and Maple! I think both will win another ncaa title this year at their respective weights.

This win by has to go down as one of the greatest single wins in ncaa history! It's not often that a wrestler has a chance to bump up and take on an undefeated, defending ncaa champion. How many times has that happened? This reminds me of Gable's win over Grant, another Oklahoma great over 40 years ago. Or when Wade Schalles bumped up to beat Shorty Hitchcock; who then went on to win OW of the ncaas.

Where does Stieber's win rank? This win clearly makes him the heavy favorite for the Hodge trophy. I don't see how an argument can be made for anyone unless Stieber gets upset somewhere down the line.

you posted this, too:

Great match between Stieber and Maple! I think both will win another ncaa title this year at their respective weights.

This win by has to go down as one of the greatest single wins in ncaa history! It's not often that a wrestler has a chance to bump up and take on an undefeated, defending ncaa champion. How many times has that happened? This reminds me of Gable's win over Grant, another Oklahoma great over 40 years ago. Or when Wade Schalles bumped up to beat Shorty Hitchcock; who then went on to win OW of the ncaas.

Where does Stieber's win rank? This win clearly makes him the heavy favorite for the Hodge trophy. I don't see how an argument can be made for anyone unless Stieber gets upset somewhere down the line.

Yes I did. Are you trying to make a point?

And what you posted earlier, as you have in the past, is PATENTLY WRONG. If you are a wrestling coach, jesus I feel bad for your wrestlers. Technique is NOT the answer to every wrestler's pitfalls. And I know for a fact, that, it had nothing to do with Maple's regression.

How is it wrong VHSALUM? When did I say that Maple regressed?

So I assume you believe that Maple is a great technician on his feet?

I don't know exactly what the medical problem was. Howver, I think Kendric lost every overtime match in his college career.

I think the move to 149 hurt because he couldn't over power to tilt as he did at 141. I am in agreement that he needs better setups. My major complaint is he didn't attack the head to setup takedowns.

One of the old timer former OU wrestlers said before the season started that he wished Kendric had waited another year to get married. He said being in graduate school (he graduated with a 4.0 as an undergrad), and having won a national title he was afraid he wouldn't have the same drive he had last year. I'd say his fears were well founded.

I don't know what the ax that Lemon Pie has to grind regarding Mark Cody. He is a quality person, the program has improved, not as much as he or myself would like. However, i know how bad things were in terms of talent in the room, he has upgraded it.

Postby jammen » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:00 pm

"An OKC coach told me that Maple has an illness that was recently diagnosed. It would explain his season."

This is exactly right, and he battled with it all season until finally figuring out what was bothering him.

It was disappointing to see him seemingly give up after he lost in the championship bracket. I wonder if at some point he will regret it.

I don't agree with that at all. He won his R12 match, and then had a very competitive tough match with Grajales who finished a very impressive 3rd. He finished 8th in the nation, which is one hell of an accomplishment in it's own right. There are 77 guys, and he was the 8th best out of the best folkstyle wrestling has to offer. We can't all be national champions, and it's about time we finally realized that, rather than downplay ourselves for not being.

Four time NCAA qualifier finishing out his last three years 4-1-8. Three time All American, who also excelled academically. Regret? Shame? I'd certainly hope not. He has a lot to be proud of.

It was disappointing to see him seemingly give up after he lost in the championship bracket. I wonder if at some point he will regret it.

He had a great career and seems like a genuinely decent guy. Doubt he worries too much about what some anonymous people type on an internet forum.

He exemplifies what is good and right about college athletics. I wish the guy the best--particularly if he has health issues.

I think people saw (including Maple) how easily Jordan Oliver moved up and dominated. May have given him a false sense. Also, great for all the fans that he and Stieber faced off at the All-Star, but maybe not great for Maple to lose that one. Would have been very interesting to see him at 141 this year. If he has a disease that is a real shame and hope he is ok. Mark Cody is a top 5 coach IMO.