Sign in to follow this  
whyme25

Howe

Would not have done worse, either, and his degree would be from a better school.

If Howe wrestled Perry 10 times, he'd win five at least. His strategy in the finals was not good, and maybe the coach takes a hit for that. Still, it was a tossup.

He would have done way worse. By sitting on the sidelines and maturing into a, what, 26 or 27 year old man he was able to gain quite an edge there. But alas, he was still man handled in the finals. I can't see passing this off on his coach either. The guy has tried his hand at Olympic level and wrestled for the best clubs. He's had plenty of exposure to the best coaching available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Howe's style was a problem. He has great offense and great ability but choose not to pull the trigger. Howe and Perry lulled each other to sleep in their series and Perry changed things up in the finals by using an offensive wrestling move, Howe was caught off guard and got confused.

I would have liked to have seen a match between the two where they both used offensive wrestling moves. Could have been a great one.

Howe made the finals as a true freshman, then won it as a sophomore while at Wisconsin. Whatever he was doing, or how he was being coached, obvioulsy seemed to be working at Wisconsin. Did he leave after Pritzlaff left...never quite got the scoop on all of that? It doesn't seem as though he has developed any additional attacks after all of the transfers & redshirts. He is a straight ahead grinder, with virtually no angles when he attacks. I think Freestyle is going to be a tough transition because of his style. Burroughs will eat that up!

Howe got ridden for an entire period in the Big 12 finals and then again in the national finals. Shame on Howe and shame on OU's coaches. Howe did not do one thing to counter Perry's leg ride. He should have worked every day between the two meets to counter that ride. Howe looked like a high school kid with a bad coach at time trying to get away from Perry. Spending the last couple of years at OU did not improve Howe's technical abilities at all.

Howe got ridden for an entire period in the Big 12 finals and then again in the national finals. Shame on Howe and shame on OU's coaches. Howe did not do one thing to counter Perry's leg ride. He should have worked every day between the two meets to counter that ride. Howe looked like a high school kid with a bad coach at time trying to get away from Perry. Spending the last couple of years at OU did not improve Howe's technical abilities at all.

Easier said than done. Perry is brutally strong. I don't think there was a 174 in the country that could stop that ride. It was truly a testament to Howe's strength that he was even able to get to his feet with Perry's legs in. The traditional leg defense and counters simply play into Perry's strength even further. You can't pop and slide your hips because he controls the head and wrists so well. Even when he would get too high he wouldn't allow Howe to post and try to shift position. He simply got under both arms and broke him back down. I don't care how hard you train sometimes your only choice is to avoid the situation altogether. When Perry took Howe down he gave him no choice.

Howe made the finals as a true freshman, then won it as a sophomore while at Wisconsin. Whatever he was doing, or how he was being coached, obvioulsy seemed to be working at Wisconsin. Did he leave after Pritzlaff left...never quite got the scoop on all of that? It doesn't seem as though he has developed any additional attacks after all of the transfers & redshirts. He is a straight ahead grinder, with virtually no angles when he attacks. I think Freestyle is going to be a tough transition because of his style. Burroughs will eat that up!

Yes, Howe left with Pritzlaf (and Frayer) and followed the former to the U of Michigan to work with the club there for a year or two. Subsequently, Howe transferred to UO and was reunited with Frayer.

Great point MSU158, all the more reason for Howe to attempt an offensive wrestling move score from his feet.

I agree completely. I do, however, think Perry deserves most of the credit for Howe having no offense. Perry gave Howe no angles off the collar tie and headsnaps. He stayed right in front of Howe the entire time and gave no real openings when Howe tried to change angles off the tie.

I really think Perry is one of the most cerebral wrestlers we have witnessed wrestle at the DI level. You may not like his style but I think everything he does is calculated. He is always aware of the clock and dictates nearly all the positions he is in. He may not win pretty but he wins the way he wants to.

Whoever said that Howe would have a "tough" transition to freestyle hasn't been following Howe, apparently.

He was fighting Burroughs very well prior to blowing out his knee in the final of the Olympic Trials, after beating everyone else: ( including Tyler Caldwell, David Taylor, Trent Paulson). http://www.cliffkeenwrestlingclub.com/h ... ic-trials/

Andrew is an excellent freestyle wrestler in a great weight class. He will be huge at 74 Kg.

Perry changed things up in the finals by using an offensive wrestling move, Howe was caught off guard and got confused.

Perry's tactic confused a lot of us, but his unorthodox approach paid off. He's a real gunslinger!

edit: spellin

Howe looked like he was trying to score. Just couldnt. Hes not a quick and slick type wrestler, just not his style, he sets things up from ties and headsnaps.

Perrys takedown- flying high crotch, one handed firemans, whatever it was was awesome and the move of the finals for me.

I agree completely. I do, however, think Perry deserves most of the credit for Howe having no offense. Perry gave Howe no angles off the collar tie and headsnaps. He stayed right in front of Howe the entire time and gave no real openings when Howe tried to change angles off the tie.

I really think Perry is one of the most cerebral wrestlers we have witnessed wrestle at the DI level. You may not like his style but I think everything he does is calculated. He is always aware of the clock and dictates nearly all the positions he is in. He may not win pretty but he wins the way he wants to.

I agree with this 100% and this is what I was telling my group after the finals. Perry is one of the best I have seen at match tactics and strategy and doing what it takes to put himself in a position to win. He always seems to control the pace and positions of a match and it seems like he knows exactly what he wants to do. It may not always be pretty but the guy gets his hand raised.