Sign in to follow this  
Broomstick

Steiber's chances at #4

I know it won't be a cakewalk for Steiber to get #4 with Retheford, Port and others in his path. But has anyone that won NCAA D. 1 titles in their freshman through junior years failed on their last try?

Has anyone besides Lincoln McIlravey and Pat Milkovich won titles their first 2 years and not been a 4 timer?

I know it won't be a cakewalk for Steiber to get #4 with Retheford, Port and others in his path. But has anyone that won NCAA D. 1 titles in their freshman through junior years failed on their last try?

Has anyone besides Lincoln McIlravey and Pat Milkovich won titles their first 2 years and not been a 4 timer?

Ed Banach also won titles his 1st two years and did not become a 4 timer.

as for subject, nothing is a lock but I would bet on Steiber getting it done. Technical skill, strength, great in all 3 positions, wrestles well on the big stage, etc. A little added fire next year with bro back in line-up and Ohio St potentially in running for a team trophy won't hurt either.

has it ever been publicly stated what was wrong with stieber during the PSU dual, under the weather? or under estimated retherford?

Logan has never explicitly said what was going on--I believe the farthest he went was to not disagree in an interview when the interviewer (I believe it was Zeb) said that he wasn't 100% in that match. Tom Ryan said that Logan was sick that week, may have been carrying a nagging injury as well.

Logan seemed gassed after he came out hard in the first period. When Zain rode him out he took all of the rest of the wind out of his sails. Stieber adjusted accordingly in their next two meetings and chose neutral in both bouts. Obviously paying well due respect to Zain's ability to ride.

have to wonder whether Retherford is considering moving up to 149.....would think his chances are bettwe against Kindig/Tsirtsis/Hunter Steiver than Logan Steiber. JMO!

Stieber is not losing to Retherford again, no matter how many times they meet. Not making excuses for Stieber, but anyone who objectively watches their three matches knows that Stieber was caught off guard, nowhere near peak shape for whatever reason (illness, injury, or just plain old not being in shape), and underestimated Retherford tactically, especially after taking him down with ease to start the match. Now that Stieber is never going to underestimate Retherford again and actually prepared specifically for him the last two times, the difference between the two is clear. The gap is not small.

No offense to Retherford. He is a bona fide stud and will get his chance once Logan graduates. But he will be a 19 year old going against an all-time great going for a fourth title who has figured him out. Let's get real.

If anyone is a threat, it's Port, who has the size and the element of surprise (not having wrestled Stieber before) to maybe sneak one past Logie Bear.

However, it would not surprise me to see Port at 149 next year. He has the size to move up. As does Schopp, who looks really sucked out to me, although Shopp obviously has a lot of motivation to make the cut one more year given that his weight completely clears out. Frankly, it would not surprise me to see Retherford up a weight either. Anyone who moves up will have to deal with Hunter, who, while no Logan, is certainly capable of beating anyone at 149.

Stieber is not losing to Retherford again, no matter how many times they meet. Not making excuses for Stieber, but anyone who objectively watches their three matches knows that Stieber was caught off guard, nowhere near peak shape for whatever reason (illness, injury, or just plain old not being in shape), and underestimated Retherford tactically, especially after taking him down with ease to start the match. Now that Stieber is never going to underestimate Retherford again and actually prepared specifically for him the last two times, the difference between the two is clear. The gap is not small.

I watched all of their three matches, and I don't grant that Stieber was "nowhere near peak shape", at least for that point in the season. And I'm speaking objectively. I also believe that a 19 year old Kyle Dake would have a great chance of beating Logan Stieber in an ncaa final.

However, it would not surprise me to see Port at 149 next year. He has the size to move up. As does Schopp, who looks really sucked out to me, although Shopp obviously has a lot of motivation to make the cut one more year given that his weight completely clears out. Frankly, it would not surprise me to see Retherford up a weight either. Anyone who moves up will have to deal with Hunter, who, while no Logan, is certainly capable of beating anyone at 149.

They'll also have to deal with Jason Tsirtsis, can't forget about him!

My guess is Zain will take a redshirt. He is way too small to move up a weight IMO. He has a legit shot at being a 3 timer if he redshirts. Yet, his taking off will no doubt hurt PSU badly in terms of points at the big show, so, it will be interesting to see what Cael decides to do.

Logan is a wrestling machine, he lives for it. He sails to his 4th title in flying colors taking the Hodge with him next season. I believe he will be even more motivated to dominate as the Bucks will have a legit shot at taking the Team title next year.

My guess is Zain will take a redshirt. He is way too small to move up a weight IMO. He has a legit shot at being a 3 timer if he redshirts. Yet, his taking off will no doubt hurt PSU badly in terms of points at the big show, so, it will be interesting to see what Cael decides to do.

Logan is a wrestling machine, he lives for it. He sails to his 4th title in flying colors taking the Hodge with him next season. I believe he will be even more motivated to dominate as the Bucks will have a legit shot at taking the Team title next year.

Why would Retherford be redshirted next year?

....to avoid having to deal with Port and Stieber at NCAAs. If he redshirts, when he comes back the following year he is the favorite and has much better chance to be a 3x champ, along with the big points at NCAAs to help in the team race.

....to avoid having to deal with Port and Stieber at NCAAs. If he redshirts, when he comes back the following year he is the favorite and has much better chance to be a 3x champ, along with the big points at NCAAs to help in the team race.

He had to deal with them this year. I don't know why Penn State wouldn't need his points next year.

Dick Hutton, Ok St, went 1-1-2-1. That was way back in the late 1940s.

Stieber should be a huge favorite going into nationals. I think he is clearly the #1 guy.

edit: Port will be back, so don't know there, the two haven't wrestled. Port going to stay at 141? Anyway, still Stieber #1 and then everyone else.

"If anyone is a threat, it's Port, who has the size and the element of surprise (not having wrestled Stieber before) to maybe sneak one past Logie Bear."

I agreed with your post except this part. They wrestled in the Dapper Dan and Logan won handily, but Port did secure a takedown. Though that was "long ago", Port showed what he is capable of, and has pretty much demonstrated it since.

I just wonder about any element of surprise.

"If anyone is a threat, it's Port, who has the size and the element of surprise (not having wrestled Stieber before) to maybe sneak one past Logie Bear."

I agreed with your post except this part. They wrestled in the Dapper Dan and Logan won handily, but Port did secure a takedown. Though that was "long ago", Port showed what he is capable of, and has pretty much demonstrated it since.

I just wonder about any element of surprise.

I meant in college. Dapper Dan is a really long time to go back, come on. Is that really a relevant match?

By surprise, I don't mean that Logan is going to underestimate him or forget that Port's a threat. I simply mean that they haven't wrestled (for a long while, or at least in college), and it's harder to prepare against a guy you haven't met recently. Obviously, that goes both ways. A lot of people were just assuming that Retherford was the second best 141 lber in the country, but we saw how that turned out at NCAAs.

"A lot of people were just assuming that Retherford was the second best 141 lber in the country, but we saw how that turned out at NCAAs."

I wasn't one of them.

But we are not in monumental disagreement anyway. I just have the feeling that neither Port or Stieber have forgotten their match up, as long ago as it was, particularly since they haven't matched up since. Perhaps both will try to have surprises up their sleeves when and if they finally face off.

"A lot of people were just assuming that Retherford was the second best 141 lber in the country, but we saw how that turned out at NCAAs."

I wasn't one of them.

But we are not in monumental disagreement anyway. I just have the feeling that neither Port or Stieber have forgotten their match up, as long ago as it was, particularly since they haven't matched up since. Perhaps both will try to have surprises up their sleeves when and if they finally face off.

I didn't assume the Retherford was the second best guy either.

If Logan stays healthy, I have him as a heavy favorite to 4peat next year.

And now he's going to throw a wrench in the Team USA mix at 65kg. My gosh, Metcalf, Oliver, Russell, possibly Pico, and now both Steibers entering at 65kg? Brutal weight class. Have a feeling that the USA medal drought at this weight (since Bill Zadick, 2006) will end at this year's World Championships.

(Apologize for going a little international on the college boards, but Logan is very involved in both.)