Sign in to follow this  
Rameses

2014 coaching carousel kicks off

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?sport=wrestling&story=25491&cat=exclusives

top candidates?

I would think that the possibility of the Big 12/ACC combo qualifier, proximity to PA & OH, and fact that most wrestlers can get into WVU will draw a strong pool of applicants.

Rameses

I understand WVU has fallen off the national radar the last few years, and I generally respect Luck as an AD. But, given Turnbull's tenure at the school, that release may have just well said "...and don't let the door hit you on the a** on the way out".

I'm pulling for Coleman Scott. Local boy and has the pedigree and some coaching experience. Worth a shot.

I could only wish that Zeke Jones would want to go back!

Good call, if they want to go young. I think it'll be hard for him to leave OSU's training situation until he's done competing, however. But he could bring the energy, pedigree,and local ties that the program needs.

About time!! This is good news for both college and PA wrestling. A team with WVU's setup deserves a top-notch coach.

My top suggestions, in order:

Tim Flynn

Damion Hahn (probably very hard to get)

Casey Cunningham

Brandon Eggum (probably very hard to get)

Eric Guerrero

Sam Henson

Cary Kolat (I think he is capable of a lot more, not sure whether it's Mock or the location or what...)

Coleman Scott

Hahn got a promotion of some type at Cornell (Associate HC or something like that). They are wisely doing everything they can to keep Hahn in Ithaca. Be surprised to see him go, though he'd do a fantastic job, as would many of the suggested names.

WVU could be really, really good. Right?

Schwab?

Ain't gonna happen. He's made it very clear that he's staying put at UNI. The only job I could ever see him taking is the Iowa job. If that never comes up, then Schwab will be here until he retires or gets ousted by the AD.

Does UNI have the money to keep him if a Big 10 school comes calling? If nothing else the extra money for assistants would have to tempt him.

They're not getting any big name heirs apparent, i.e. Hahn, Eggum. They could try and get a big name second banana like a Coleman Scott or a Luke Becker. Maybe go to Charlottesville and try to poach Leen or Clemsen from UVA.

Schwab?

Ain't gonna happen. He's made it very clear that he's staying put at UNI. The only job I could ever see him taking is the Iowa job. If that never comes up, then Schwab will be here until he retires or gets ousted by the AD.

Does UNI have the money to keep him if a Big 10 school comes calling? If nothing else the extra money for assistants would have to tempt him.

I can't speak for him, but I can go on what I've heard indirectly from him and that is that he loves what he has at UNI. In short, it isn't a money thing for him, although UNI does pay him fairly decently. I do know that nearly all of his family is in this area, he likes the UNI wrestling community, and has an AD that supports him and supports the wrestling program as it is now.

Why no mention of Greg Jones?

You hire from within when you want to continue success, hence why Eggum, Hahn, and Guerrero are heirs apparent. You hire from outside when you want to change culture/become successful. Jones has been cursed by Turnbull's lack of success. I'd see them trying to go after a big name second banana like Coleman Scott or Luke Becker. They could also try to cross the border and poach Leen or Clemsen from UVA, or Robie from VT.

Why no mention of Greg Jones?

Does anyone with knowledge of the program know how much control Jones had over the program? I could be wrong, but I thought a few years ago he was promoted to Associate Head Coach. Since he is younger, and was so accomplished as an athlete, I would figure he was the one, mainly, in charge of training and technique.

But, like I said, I don't know if I would be right to think that... (Mobile)