Sign in to follow this  
Rameses

2014 coaching carousel kicks off

Why no mention of Greg Jones?

Does anyone with knowledge of the program know how much control Jones had over the program? I could be wrong, but I thought a few years ago he was promoted to Associate Head Coach. Since he is younger, and was so accomplished as an athlete, I would figure he was the one, mainly, in charge of training and technique.

But, like I said, I don't know if I would be right to think that... (Mobile)

He is listed as associate head coach on their web site. That was my reason for asking about Greg Jones.

Greg Jones was a fantastic wrestler but not sure his athletic style really translates to 99% of the wrestlers on your roster. Greg was a freak, but Greg also couldn't ride anyone ( he never had to) so hence the reason WVU wrestlers aren't good on top. WVU does get top talent since Greg Jones has been the asst. and running the practices, but he hasn't developed any of them. Shane Young, Colin Johnston, Nathan Panessi ect. all were the top 5 in the country coming out of high school, but never got any better in the WVU program. Most people don't know this but Lance Bryson beat Ed Ruth at states in 2008. Then Ed goes to Penn st. and well we all know his story, but Lance goes to WVU and gets worse. (Lance lost to a D3 wrestler from Thiel, last year). My point is just because your a great wrestler doesn't mean you can develop talent as a coach.

How does Coleman Scott make anyone's short list? He is still competing.

I would bet that if he got an offer, he'd give up competition for being a head coach of a fully funded D1 program with so much potential close to home. Those positions aren't available too often.

He is a local (as close as you can get without being from WV itself). He is a highly recognizable and well-respected star who still has clout in the region and would recruit top talent. He has been mentored throughout his career as both an athlete and coach by one of the very best in the business. He's a little young and not as experienced as some guys mentioned on this thread, but he has to get some credit for developing OSU's lightweights given that the wrestles with them every day.

Coleman Scott could be a great 1st assistant to whoever they end up hiring.

I often wonder if some of the people on here have any idea what a head wrestling coach does.

By the way, when was the last time Scott lived in Pennsylvania? 2004?

By the way, here is a profile of the Athletic Director from September on Grantland.com: http://grantland.com/features/the-life-career-oliver-luck-athletic-director-west-virginia-andrew-luck-father/

For the people who think Coleman is too young, Cael was 30 when he was hired at Penn St., worked out pretty good for them so far.I think John Smith was 28 when Okie St. hired him, worked out very well so far. I believe Dan Gable was 30 when he was hired at Iowa. These are just a few examples of great wrestlers who turned into great coaches around the age of 30.

Coleman Scott could be a great 1st assistant to whoever they end up hiring.

I often wonder if some of the people on here have any idea what a head wrestling coach does.

I know very well what a head coach does, which is why I had Flynn as my first choice and Hahn as my second. However, when your starting point is WVU post-Turnbull, and you are looking to hire someone with a lot of upside, Scott is worth considering despite his youth for all the reasons stated. There are better options, but he is one worth considering. There are probably better guys even at his level for other schools, but WVU's location and Scott's background make him a particularly good fit.

As greenmt said, sometimes betting on someone before he's ready on paper pays off pretty well.

For the people who think Coleman is too young, Cael was 30 when he was hired at Penn St., worked out pretty good for them so far.I think John Smith was 28 when Okie St. hired him, worked out very well so far. I believe Dan Gable was 30 when he was hired at Iowa. These are just a few examples of great wrestlers who turned into great coaches around the age of 30.

Apples and oranges. If they want to hire a younger guy, it should be someone like Eric Guerrero, Donny Pritzlaff or Brandon Eggum.

Oliver Luck the AD (Andrew Luck's dad) has proven he'll think outside the box. He hired Dana Holgerson who was the offensive coordinator at OSU for one year when the school was one game away from making the BCS championship game. Now WVU hasn't done well since then, so time will tell how that hire will workout. With the Big12 TV contract there should be sufficient funds to pay a top flight coach. Flynn would appear to be an excellent choice. Expect schools to start taking runs at PSU's assistants given their success the past four years.

Tim Flynn's father was in the Marine Corps and Tim got his first introduction to wrestling in the Navy Junior program while his father was stationed at Annapolis. He also spent his senior year of HS at Annapolis HS(after his dad was transferred back from CA). He has big ties to Navy, and although he is happy and well supported at the Boro (what better Ad than Baumgartner?) Navy is the one place I might see him leaving for. Don't see him going to WVU.

If WVU wants to win they must hire one of the best recruiters in the nation. You can be the best technician and instructor in the country but if you can't get kids to attend your school you will not win on a high level. The problem that I see with many wrestling coaches and their staff is they are great at selling the program but they don't know how to evaluate & project talent.

Charles at ASU is #2 to go on the D1 scene... Any candidate ideas?

Large school with money to burn, I'd expect similar to WVU. Scott and Becker are my top choices (no chance of getting heirs apparent like Eggum and Hahn)

Charles at ASU is #2 to go on the D1 scene... Any candidate ideas?

Large school with money to burn, I'd expect similar to WVU. Scott and Becker are my top choices (no chance of getting heirs apparent like Eggum and Hahn)

So much "money to burn" that private fundraising funds a significant part, and the aid of a mega rich politically connected individual was fortunately able to be garnered to help save/fund the program when they cut wrestling and several other sports in a money saving move several years ago...

Stove - I sent you a PM.

Who are the leading candidates for the WVU job ?

The ASU job should be a good one. Great weather, great scenery and lots of talent in the region. Admission requirements are not too bad and tuition is not unreasonable. Will be interesting to see if the Cali studs are recruited and provide some depth.