Sign in to follow this  
Rameses

2014 coaching carousel kicks off

I've heard Zeke Jones has interviewed with WVU and I would imagine he's a target for ASU. Was hoping to see an announcement out of UNC this week too. Might be wishful thinking on my part though

100% agree, would be good to hear news from UNC.

Why would the WVU job be better for Zeke ? I would have thought that his current position was pretty darn good.

L. Zaleski? Dan Hicks?

They're both familiar with the west and the PAC. And it'd be their first chance leading a D1 BCS level program, having shown they can achieve some success with lesser supported programs.

Mark Branch?

In my opinion the front runner for the ASU job has to be Sammie "The Bull" Henson. Henson has not only proven himself as a great recruiter but has also shown that he can coach/develop wrestlers with the best of the best not only in the country but also the WORLD. People often forget that since 2011, Henson has actually been the head coach of the Sunkist kids wrestling club which is based out of Tempe Arizona. The club holds training camps throughout the year on the ASU campus in which he attends, so Henson would already be somewhat familiar with the campus and Tempe area. On top of all this Henson has had a long standing relationship with Art Martori, who is the man when it comes to ASU wrestling and the Sunkist kids wrestling club...... Oh and contrary to what some have reported on this board The Bull DOES hold a degree from The University of Missouri.

I agree with an other poster that Lee Pritts is a good option. Every year he seems to be one of the top assistant coaches. Also What about Adam Tirrapelle? Is he interested in coaching in College? I think he would be able to get a lot of the best West talent to go to ASU.

In my opinion the front runner for the ASU job has to be Sammie "The Bull" Henson. Henson has not only proven himself as a great recruiter but has also shown that he can coach/develop wrestlers with the best of the best not only in the country but also the WORLD. People often forget that since 2011, Henson has actually been the head coach of the Sunkist kids wrestling club which is based out of Tempe Arizona. The club holds training camps throughout the year on the ASU campus in which he attends, so Henson would already be somewhat familiar with the campus and Tempe area. On top of all this Henson has had a long standing relationship with Art Martori, who is the man when it comes to ASU wrestling and the Sunkist kids wrestling club...... Oh and contrary to what some have reported on this board The Bull DOES hold a degree from The University of Missouri.

Agree!

Henson would be my first choice for ASU. He is a top 3-4 assistant coach and has proven his value at various programs. His only issue is that he has not stayed that long at any school, although his tenure at Mizzou so far is comforting.

Which one has more support between ASU and WVU? Does Zeke want to get back in the college grind? If so, is ASU a better fit? Lou Rosselli has coached(assisted) some world teams and the 2012 Olympics and seems to be producing at both TOSU and the RTC in Columbus. Does he have a shot at either job?

Charles at ASU is #2 to go on the D1 scene... Any candidate ideas?

Large school with money to burn, I'd expect similar to WVU. Scott and Becker are my top choices (no chance of getting heirs apparent like Eggum and Hahn)

It's interesting that it is assumed that you can't get someone who is dubbed "heir apparent" - if a school wants someone bad enough, they should go after them. The sport of wrestling needs programs like WVU and ASU to succeed. They should constantly be looking for the best candidate regardless of whether they think they can get them or not.

Charles at ASU is #2 to go on the D1 scene... Any candidate ideas?

Large school with money to burn, I'd expect similar to WVU. Scott and Becker are my top choices (no chance of getting heirs apparent like Eggum and Hahn)

It's interesting that it is assumed that you can't get someone who is dubbed "heir apparent" - if a school wants someone bad enough, they should go after them. The sport of wrestling needs programs like WVU and ASU to succeed. They should constantly be looking for the best candidate regardless of whether they think they can get them or not.

Not saying they shouldn't go after them, of course they should. I just don't think the heirs apparent will bite. If you're in that position, you know that if you just sit tight for a few more years, you'll be given the keys to a top program. Someone like Eggum probably won't bite at a head offer from WVU because he knows that if he sits tight for a few more years he'll be head coach at Minnesota. Same goes for Hahn or Guerrero. That's why you go for Becker, Scott, etc. because they're really good and they're much easier to get than the heirs apparent.