Sign in to follow this  
NEswitch

The Movement...2014

It is no mystery to wrestling fans the status in which our sport is in. Although I believe a lot of people on these message boards do a part in building ...we can do more. We need to find ways to get this sport to the surface and show people how much it can do for young athletes. With BU dropping it's program this year it made me realize a few things:

*How important the "smaller" DI schools are for the sport. School's like Edinboro and F&M gaining national recognition is a great thing. These schools need their Alumni to step up and take action now. Show the athletic department that their program has a backbone. BU did a good job of this but made the push too late. We need to make a voice now, while we still have one. When an athletic department decides to cut a program, it will be cut. Do not wait until you are backed into a corner to make a statement.

*Do not discourage other sports when trying to attract youth- Don't make young kids make the choice on which sport they need to devote their time to so early. We will lose that battle 90% of the time, it is harder, tougher and "not the cool" sport. Instead encourage young athletes to wrestle, emphasize how wrestling will help improve their other sport. Eventually if they are meant for the sport they will realize it.

*Relating wrestling to other success stories- The first thing that comes to mind is MMA. There are a ton of UFC stars that came from wrestling, let's brag about it. We should be on the verge of annoying when promoting an MMA star who formerly wrestled. "Yep he was a wrestler" Constantly! UFC is huge now and has a international presence, we need to be behind that.

I know this was a rant, and maybe we are our sport is not in grave danger. However, promoting it and helping improve the coverage will only make things bigger and stronger. There I said my piece...

I would suggest that HS coaches massage the local community by this blanket rule: If school, or just practice, is cancelled because of a snowstorm, "your workout will now be to shovel out your neighbors, primarily elderly, Sick, women living alone, or just anybody. Try not to take any money, but make sure you explain to the folks that this is a requirement of the HS wrestling program"

You can do more than you imagine and you can be creative about it. I really like the community service effort mentioned above.

I am not of your generation (I'm 64) and disagree with the overvaluation and overreliance placed on the internet. Yes, social media is exploding, but still lags behind other forms of communication in total reach and message delivery. Plus - no offense - I think keyboards breed laziness, "I've typed something, so my job is done here."

I can offer two opportunities to help wrestling grow. My organization, Wrestling for Life, encourages kids (primarily of middle school age) to become involved with wrestling and then stay on the mat once they've given it a try. We have two basic tactics, the first of which is to raise money and give free tickets to wrestling events to kids wrestling clubs, middle school teams and youth organizations like Boys and Girls Club. During the past season we sent just under 1,300 kids to duals at Iowa, UNI, Minnesota; the Multi-Division National Duals and the NAIA Championships. Most recently we sent 485 kids to the NCAA Division III Championships in Cedar Rapids.

During the DIII Championships, I was approached by Elizabethtown coach, Eric Walker, to provide a ticket giveaway program for the 2015 event in Hershey. I can use some help with this and it is never too early to start. First, we'll need help with fundraising. We'll need to raise $6,500 - $7,000 to have the same success we had in Cedar Rapids. Local involvement is key to raising that much money. Then, next February we'll need help with the logistics of buying and distributing the tickets. This is more work than you imagine, so if you want to help, be prepared to commit some time.

Getting involved with the National Registry for Wrestling is another way you can help. They are building a database of wrestling fans to aid in the promotion of the sport. If you're not already on the database you can register at www.nr4w.com. PLUS - Registry organizers are recruiting volunteers to man booths at events around the country to bring new people into the fold. There were booths at all three NCAA championships and there is one at this weekend's National High School Championships.

If you would like to give us a hand with the 2015 Division III Championships ticket effort (or launch one for your own event) or get in touch with the National Registry for Wrestling organizers, email me at dmsolutions4u@live.com.

Thanks.

Jim Brown

Wrestling for Life

You can do more than you imagine and you can be creative about it. I really like the community service effort mentioned above.

I am not of your generation (I'm 64) and disagree with the overvaluation and overreliance placed on the internet. Yes, social media is exploding, but still lags behind other forms of communication in total reach and message delivery. Plus - no offense - I think keyboards breed laziness, "I've typed something, so my job is done here."

I can offer two opportunities to help wrestling grow. My organization, Wrestling for Life, encourages kids (primarily of middle school age) to become involved with wrestling and then stay on the mat once they've given it a try. We have two basic tactics, the first of which is to raise money and give free tickets to wrestling events to kids wrestling clubs, middle school teams and youth organizations like Boys and Girls Club. During the past season we sent just under 1,300 kids to duals at Iowa, UNI, Minnesota; the Multi-Division National Duals and the NAIA Championships. Most recently we sent 485 kids to the NCAA Division III Championships in Cedar Rapids.

During the DIII Championships, I was approached by Elizabethtown coach, Eric Walker, to provide a ticket giveaway program for the 2015 event in Hershey. I can use some help with this and it is never too early to start. First, we'll need help with fundraising. We'll need to raise $6,500 - $7,000 to have the same success we had in Cedar Rapids. Local involvement is key to raising that much money. Then, next February we'll need help with the logistics of buying and distributing the tickets. This is more work than you imagine, so if you want to help, be prepared to commit some time.

Getting involved with the National Registry for Wrestling is another way you can help. They are building a database of wrestling fans to aid in the promotion of the sport. If you're not already on the database you can register at http://www.nr4w.com. PLUS - Registry organizers are recruiting volunteers to man booths at events around the country to bring new people into the fold. There were booths at all three NCAA championships and there is one at this weekend's National High School Championships.

If you would like to give us a hand with the 2015 Division III Championships ticket effort (or launch one for your own event) or get in touch with the National Registry for Wrestling organizers, email me at dmsolutions4u@live.com.

Thanks.

Jim Brown

Wrestling for Life

I would suggest that HS coaches massage the local community by this blanket rule: If school, or just practice, is cancelled because of a snowstorm, "your workout will now be to shovel out your neighbors, primarily elderly, Sick, women living alone, or just anybody. Try not to take any money, but make sure you explain to the folks that this is a requirement of the HS wrestling program"

This is really fantastic idea! Like.

Here are some things:

-See interesting results - If you see that a school has a good showing, take the moment to send an email to the coach, AD, president and any administrators or trustees you can. Just let them know you follow their program and it was great to see how they performed. Anything positive goes a long way.

-Know a kid accepted to the school -If you know a kid that is accepted to a school that offers wrestling be sure to mention this when you send a positive note. You don't have to lie but you can let people know that there is a connection between a prospective student athlete learning about a school and the school offering wrestling. If they know that a girl that is an honor student has enrolled due to her brother following the wrestling team, or her boyfriend going to watch a dual and she tagged along, it goes a little bit further.

-Letters to the editor - Feel free to share any interesting an positive news you can about the sport. Newspapers are more than willing to fill space with interesting pieces written by people they don't have to pay and school administrators love quality publicity. Don't be afraid to take the time to write a "letter to the editor."

-Above all else - Send in a check! It doesn't take a lot of money to make an impact. A school is MUCH more likely to cut a program that has one donor that gives $100,000 than it is to cut a program that has 1,000 donors giving $100. No matter how little you are able to give, send in a check. If your kids are fans have them send in a check as well even if it is only for $1. Always include a positive note with the check.