Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Question about Nico Megaludis and 125's

I recently watched Cael's interview on Flo about the 4 titles and DT and Ruth and his comments about Nico Megaludis stuck out to me.

He called Nico a rock and extremely consistent which I 150% agree with. It got me thinking though. If Nico doesn't get over the hump next year and ends up a 4 time all american 2-3x finalist where does he stack up against best to never win it?

Now I won't lie I am from illinois and am a huge Delgado fan...but if anyone else was to win it next year I hope its Mega, seems like a hard working good kid thats very deserving after getting so close each year. To lose in the semis and realize that the title is going to elude you again but still keep your composure for your team and get third in dominating fashion? Gotta respect it.

Furthermore, where would you guys put this crop of consistently top 25lbers (Nico, Nashon, Delgado) against all time greats at this weight? Are they in that conversation at all?

Yea that's what I was really wondering about. These three have obviously separated themselves from the rest of the group at 25. But where would they fair in years past...with Haze, dubuque, abas, etc.?

Abas is one of the most overlooked top 5'ish guys ever because he wrestled at forgettable Fresno State, but he was one of the very best ever at any weight. He was in a league of his own. I don't think there's anyone at his weight (118/125) who would beat him. Maybe Uetake, but he wrestled so long ago that it's hard to make comparisons across that many generations.

Yea that's what I was really wondering about. These three have obviously separated themselves from the rest of the group at 25. But where would they fair in years past...with Haze, dubuque, abas, etc.?

Abas is one of the most overlooked top 5'ish guys ever because he wrestled at forgettable Fresno State, but he was one of the very best ever at any weight. He was in a league of his own. I don't think there's anyone at his weight (118/125) who would beat him. Maybe Uetake, but he wrestled so long ago that it's hard to make comparisons across that many generations.

and Eric Juergens. ;)

I agree. Abas was great, I think he's also overlooked because Cael was in college when he was winning his titles. Interesting fact, Abas and Cael were both undefeated at a weight class for 3 consecutive years. Abas at 125 and Cael at 184.

Uetake wasn't a 118/1 25.

Abas is one of the most overlooked top 5'ish guys ever because he wrestled at forgettable Fresno State, but he was one of the very best ever at any weight. He was in a league of his own. I don't think there's anyone at his weight #118/125# who would beat him. Maybe Uetake, but he wrestled so long ago that it's hard to make comparisons across that many generations.

I agree. Abas was great, I think he's also overlooked because Cael was in college when he was winning his titles. Interesting fact, Abas and Cael were both undefeated at weight class for 3 consecutive years. Abas at 125 and Cael at 184.

He wrestled freestyle 126, so he was very close to the same size.

With freestyle weigh ins. He wrestled 130 in college. I wouldn't consider him a 118/125 at all. That would be like considering Gable to have wrestled at 125 in college too. Same thing with Behm.

Whatever, who cares. Gable 125, funny.

Point is Abas is in my opinion the top lightweight ever from a generation I can actually remember.

I think you have to go back decades to find a lightweight on par with Abas. Probably back to the early 60's. Well, you could probably argue Mills, but I even put Abas over him. Abas was very talented.

Edit: Forgot Sanders.

Gable 125, funny. Abas was 121, Uetake 126 at the Olympics. They were of comparable size. But whatever, who cares.

Point is Abas is in my opinion the top lightweight ever from a generation I can actually remember.

Uetake was 125.5 for both Olympic golds, and Japan won gold the wt above and below in both, too.

Gable 125, funny. Abas was 121, Uetake 126 at the Olympics. They were of comparable size. But whatever, who cares.

Uetake was 114.5 for both Olympic golds, and Japan won gold the wt above and below in both, too.

Uetake was one weight class higher.

Superold and piggy: yea, I thought it looked wrong but forgot about the addition of 105.5 wt in Munich. I knew Japan had 8 of the 9 golds in the lightest three weights in Tokyo, Mexico City, and Munich. I edited above.

cool short background of Uetake. If you look on the right where there are more videos there are some old NCAA full finals videos from the 30s-60s. very cool to see. (the one from 1937 even has the old piano music accompaniment...was this before movies with sound?)

I would like to have seen Gene Mills wrestle the current group of 125's. While it is a different era, the way that kids roll across their back I would have the feel that "Mean Gene The Pinning Machine" would have a field day with his competition having such poor fundamentals.

I would like to have seen Gene Mills wrestle the current group of 125's. While it is a different era, the way that kids roll across their back I would have the feel that "Mean Gene The Pinning Machine" would have a field day with his competition having such poor fundamentals.

Gene Mills also displayed poor fundamentals himself on many occasions. I don't see Mills having any better fundamentals than the top guys the past few 125 classes. Let's not forget how often Mills was taken down throughout his career, even when he was winning ncaa titles.

Agree with wrestlingnerd and superold on thier comments about Abas. You guys have summed it up pretty well. He was just a "bad" dude and overlooked when it comes to all time greats. He reminds me of Burroughs collegiate career, in that after he "figured things out" he was just head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

I went through high school when Abas was in college and, being a lightweight myself, he was always my favorite wrestler as opposed to Cael. Loved the "Abas flow".

He was really the first guy, along with his brother to a lesser extent, to dive under people's legs effectively and regularly at the D1 level that I can remember. Back then you would hear the collective "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd when he did it. Now when a wrestler does it it is nothing special, and the crowd expects it. My how times have changed.

Agree with wrestlingnerd and superold on thier comments about Abas. You guys have summed it up pretty well. He was just a "bad" dude and overlooked when it comes to all time greats. He reminds me of Burroughs collegiate career, in that after he "figured things out" he was just head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

I went through high school when Abas was in college and, being a lightweight myself, he was always my favorite wrestler as opposed to Cael. Loved the "Abas flow".

He was really the first guy, along with his brother to a lesser extent, to dive under people's legs effectively and regularly at the D1 level that I can remember. Back then you would hear the collective "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd when he did it. Now when a wrestler does it it is nothing special, and the crowd expects it. My, how times have changed.

He was really the first guy, along with his brother to a lesser extent, to dive under people's legs effectively and regularly at the D1 level that I can remember. Back then you would hear the collective "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd when he did it. Now when a wrestler does it it is nothing special, and the crowd expects it. My how times have changed.

Gerry started the flow, Stephen refined it. Abas was ahead of his time and therefore nearly impossible to train for. He would hit you with funk back when funk was rare, and he had some incredibly innovative finishes to the funk that I still don't see being used today. He was also one of the rare guys to use misdirection effectively against the top guys in college. He could attack to both sides, high or low, and he could finish to either side, often going "against the grain" after penetrating to confuse his opponents. His setups and finishes were effortless because of all this variety. Much like Cael, he would make guys look drunk, using their pressure and motion against them.

Abas was probably my favorite NCAA wrestler ever. He wrestled 4-5 years before the explosion of online wrestling footage, so his incredible technique and variety is often forgotten. I used to have hours of Abas footage but lost all of it or I'd put it all on youtube. He deserves to be remembered better.

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/5433

An interesting interview with Abas can be found at that link. Here's an excerpt where Abas answers a question about being overshadowed by Cael:

You had a phenomenal collegiate wrestling career at Fresno State, winning three NCAA titles and posting a record of 144-4. However, your collegiate wrestling career may have been a little overshadowed by Cael Sanderson's collegiate career at Iowa State. Does it bother you that you maybe didn't get as much national attention as you deserved because of Cael's success?

Abas: It's hard to think that because I lived that whole era when I was competing at the same time as Cael Sanderson. I grew up with Cael. We wrestled when we were kids. I have known of him for years. That's just the way it happened. It's just the way it goes. I can't really be mad or angry that he overshadowed me. He was a great wrestler and I was a great wrestler. He just happened to get all the titles and awards. There's a part of me that wishes that I would have gotten some of those awards. But at the same time, I believe in what he did. He went undefeated. I wish they could have given out two awards. As it goes, that's just the way the wrestling world is right now.

I'm pretty sure that Abas beat Cael before they entered college. Anyone know the result?