Sign in to follow this  
meloserio

Logan Stieber

Just wanted to put something out there. Logan's finishes at WTT by age and grade:

2009: 3rd at 55kg (18yo after his junior year)

2010: DNP at 55 kg, lost to Angel Escobedo in the semis (19yo after his senior year)

2011: 4th at 60 (20yo after his RS year at Ohio St)

2012: 4th at 60 (technically second to Coleman, but Reece and Shawn Bunch weren't there as the US hadn't qualified the weight yet) 21yo after winning his first NCAA title as a RS Freshman

2013: 4th at 60 (22yo after winning his second NCAA title as a RS sophomore)

He's 23 now, had a dominant folkstyle season minus the twice-avenged loss to Zain. My guess is that he will go 65 kg after wrestling 141 for tOSU, but that weight has Brent Metcalf, Jordan Oliver, Kellen Russell and Jason Chamberlain. It seems to me that Logan has plateaued in his freestyle career. Discuss.

What? Let's not forget that Zain was a world cadet champion. Steiber will be an underdog at 143 yes but he does have a shot. And until someone is done with folk and devotes at least two after college with exclusivity towards freestyle do they peak! Logan will be a force on the freestyle circuit. He may not make the team this cycle but will be right there.

I was just trying to say Logan lost one match, and avenged it by beating Zain twice later in the season. Zain is a cadet world champ, and Logan is a junior silver medalist. But I also think his best style is folk because he is a hammer on top. I don't know if he has the takedown skills on his feet to continually put up points in a weight class in which he is undersized and going up against full-time freestylers. It wouldn't surprise me if he placed again, just not sure when he cracks the world team looking at his competition.

Logan is going to be very dangerous at 65kg.

He's always been right there with our top freestyle guys, gave Asgarov (2012 Olympic Champ) a tough match in Junior World Finals, and beat Opan Sat when Sat was ranked #1 in the World.

Just depends on who's hot and who wrestles best at Nationals and Trials. USA's 65kg field is loaded this year.

I agree that he'll be very competitive. He was just too sucked out at 60 kg last year. He looked sluggish to me. The difference in his performance when he had a significant weight allowance, as he did against Sat, was very noticeable. He may be skightly undersized against Metcalf, but I really don't think he gives up size to anyone else. Maybe James Green, if Green can even make the cut to 143 anymore (he made 145.5 last summer).

If anything, wrestling at 143 will be a disadvantage for Logan. His "walking around weight" is between 150-155. Guys like JO, Metcalf, Molinaro are well above that and will recover to a heavier weight after weigh ins. The strength advantage he had at 141 in college is huge reason for his success at that level. He wont have that advantage against these beasts. He will def be right there but i would be lying if i said he wont struggle against these bigger guys. I guess the Open will show where he is at in this new weight and if he decides to drop down for Worlds/Oly trials.

Logan vs Pico, who would you take?

Sounds weird just asking the question.... a guy looking at being a 4x ncaa champ vs someone who is a HS soph.

I take Streebler over Pico this year for sure. With night before weigh ins, there is now way that Pico can get past a full grown man like Streebs, and forget about Oliver and Metcalf.

Logan was 2nd in 2012. The fact Reece and Bunch weren't there does not relegate him to 4th. It just means they weren't there.

Logan has shown himself to be very good when competing internationally. That said--he has to prove he can win out against home grown competition.

Well I believe, that Logan wrestling at 143, is an advantage in the fact that when Logan has to suck a lot of weight, he just doesn't wrestle as well. I know other guys that he competes against may have some sort of advantage over Logan in terms of a weight cutting. But again, if Logan isn't wrestling with the amount of energy he needs, he won't wrestle well, regardless of who his opponent is. As everyone knows that when Logan has a weight allowance he can wallop people. Just look at some of the Russians he has beaten.

I think the guy on the ropes is Metcalf. Too much tough young competition and he's big for the weight. Russell, Stieber and Oliver competing against each other is a sick proposition. That's three incredibly tough young men. I thought Stieber would be small at 141 and he wasn't so I'm not going to write him off in terms of size...though it could be an issue. We'll see.

Go back and watch the 133 lb final in 2012. Both Oliver and Stieber look super sucked down. But my point in all this is that I think Logan's skills translate to him being a hammer folkstyle wrestler, but when it comes to freestyle, he will struggle to consistently make world teams.

Go back and watch the 133 lb final in 2012. Both Oliver and Stieber look super sucked down. But my point in all this is that I think Logan's skills translate to him being a hammer folkstyle wrestler, but when it comes to freestyle, he will struggle to consistently make world teams.

I think it's ludicrous to suggest that his freestyle career has "plateaued." I'm not sure how you could truly think that without him spending a single year training freestyle full-time. If anything, you might be able to attribute "failures" at the last few WTT's as evidence of how hard it is to come off the grind of the college season and jump straight into freestyle.

How he performs at the Open should tell us a good deal about how the new weight classes are going to affect him. My first inclination is that 65 is too big, particularly when you look at the size of the other domestic guys we've got but you also have to take into account how good he has seemingly looked with some weight allowance up from 60.

Steamboat, we both know its very possible to excel in freestyle after coming off a college season. Jake Herbert 2nd in the world in 2009, Jordan Burroughs 2011 world champion. Both of those guys finished college seasons and carried it over into the international scene. Now you can say those guys are exceptions, but isn't Logan Stieber supposed to be an exceptional wrestler? I'm not trying to pick on the kid, my cousin goes to Ohio St and knows Logan. I hope he goes out and wins the world championship in Uzbekistan this year.

Varner made the world team in 2009 after his junior year-same place Stieber is now and placed 5th in the world. John Smith won his first after his junior or senior year? How many underclassmen have won it? John Smith is the only one that comes to mind.

Varner made the world team in 2009 after his junior year-same place Stieber is now and placed 5th in the world. John Smith won his first after his junior or senior year? How many underclassmen have won it? John Smith is the only one that comes to mind.

To my knowledge, John Smith is the only American to win a world title while in college. Cael made the world team in college, but couldn't compete because the dates got pushed back into October.

Pretty sure Stieber was 3rd last year as well... I do agree he was too big at 60 and time will tell if he's big enough for 65. I do wonder how he looked so good in college at the same weight though... Was he just so much better than his opponents that being sucked down didn't matter?

The year Sanderson skipped worlds he also beat the world champ Magomedov. Biggest competition might have been Romero who lost to the Russian in the semis.

Yea I didnt realize the guy who beat Eggum for Gold at the 2001 Worlds Cael beat at the World Cup 10-3. That is a beatdown with 1 point takedowns. Again it is a shame he only got two years on the big stage. I don't really count the 2011 worlds after a 7 year layoff-even then he was the 2nd best guy at the weight behind Sharipov.

That match against Saritrov for third was pure BS. Saritrov should have been disqualified for not wrestling. Sharipov beat him fair and square. Cael would have beat Aldatov in my opinion. So in my opinion he was right there after a 7 year layoff. He only came back really for like 5 months then retired again.

OK back to Stieber. Can he make the team at 143? I say probably not. It is very rare for underclassmen to make senior world teams. Smith, Cael, Varner, Carr, Schultz and a few others. Very rare. Gable didn't even do it.