Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

High School Nationals

I can't believe there hasn't been a single post about the High School Nationals in Va Beach. Interested in underdogs, upsets, domination etc out of the high school divisions. I don't know a lot about some of the kids and would be interested in others opinions. I did see at 106(Freshman), Pa's Courtney beat Pappa from NY to get to the finals against a kid from New Mexico. Don't often see New Mexico have many kids at that level.

106 has over 110 entries and 15 different state champs!

Courtney is having a solid finish to his folkstyle season. His only loss was at AA states in the first round to the eventual champ from Bethlehem Catholic. He won six matches to get to the finals, including a 5-1 win in the quarters over Aaron Rump of Chambersburg, who did not qualify for PIAAs this year.

is this year's tournament any more or less competitive than other years?

NHSCA Nationals still attracts some top tier talent but is not the premier event it was 10 yrs ago.

Only 3 weights have completed the final match but here are the team scores here for the top 10 so far and I'll highlight some interesting things and I think that will tell you what you need to know on this topic.

1. NY 230.5 pts

2. CA 219.5 pts

3. NC 124.5 pts

4. GA 121.5 pts

5. PA 115.5 pts

6. OH 107.5 pts

7. AL 103 pts

8. NJ 101 pts

9. FL 100 pts

10. UT 84 pts

Freshmen results:

1 PA 262.0 - -

2 NJ 256.5 - -

3 OH 189.0 - -

4 NY 181.5 - -

5 FL 171.5 - -

6 WV 113.0 - -

7 GA 112.5 - -

8 VA 110.5 - -

9 MD 104.0 - -

10 CA 101.0 - -

Soph results:

1 NJ 229.5 6 -

2 NY 219.0 1 -

3 PA 196.0 4 -

4 CA 176.0 2 -

5 GA 162.5 3 -

6 OH 156.5 1 -

7 FL 155.0 2 -

8 VA 154.0 1 -

9 NC 129.0 1 -

10 MO 107.0 1 -

Junior results:

1 NJ 245.0 - -

2 NY 214.0 - -

3 FL 209.0 - -

4 OH 192.5 - -

5 VA 189.5 - -

6 CA 172.5 - -

7 NC 166.0 - -

8 GA 164.0 - -

9 PA 155.0 - -

10 MO 115.0 - -

essentially, PA was unrepresented. I saw a kid from Nazareth showed up. There were a number of kids whose names were unfamiliar to me (must have been AA, cause I know the AAA kids fairly well). But with four tournaments and I only recognized one name?

unrepresented. This ain't good.

PA was under represented. Lots of top kids skipped this one.

NJ didn't have a state champ in the event, at any level. The majority of NJ kids were non state placers, and I'd guess most weren't state qualifiers.

essentially, PA was unrepresented. I saw a kid from Nazareth showed up. There were a number of kids whose names were unfamiliar to me (must have been AA, cause I know the AAA kids fairly well). But with four tournaments and I only recognized one name?

unrepresented. This ain't good.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. The majority of big names from PA did not attend this event. Don't v iew it as that big a problem, though. Lots more tournaments in the year.

I think alot of Pa kids are starting to skip NHSCA Nationals due to the fact that FLO is the next weekend and its right in the backyard. I have a feeling PA will be out in full force at FLO.

I think alot of Pa kids are starting to skip NHSCA Nationals due to the fact that FLO is the next weekend and its right in the backyard. I have a feeling PA will be out in full force at FLO.

I work the NHSCA events and have worked right next to the Flo people on many occasions (including this past weekend) so don't really have a dog in this fight but what was the reason Pa didn't go to NHSCA before Flo started? I don't remember too many years that there was a strong contingent there even when it was in Pa/Del. I suspect it's more that it's too close to the states and the ensuing All-Star matches.

Just an FYI - For PA (and most likely most other states) - there is no organization that asks kids to go or not go. I am sure kids do some social networking to see what events are now "cool" or not. Statements like "PA did not attend" implies that there is some governing body involved. It's pretty random.

IMHO - NHSCA events have kind of priced themselves out of the market so kids and those paying the bill are going to some less expensive events.

Just an FYI - For PA (and most likely most other states) - there is no organization that asks kids to go or not go. I am sure kids do some social networking to see what events are now "cool" or not. Statements like "PA did not attend" implies that there is some governing body involved. It's pretty random.

IMHO - NHSCA events have kind of priced themselves out of the market so kids and those paying the bill are going to some less expensive events.

Only for the Pa kids? NHSCA had the largest overall attendance this year ever.