Sign in to follow this  
BadgerMon

Old school vs New school- how do you figure

I'm thinking about how any of the past four PSU teams would stack up vs some of the best teams of the 2000s, 1990s, 80s, 70s and or 60s.

How about this year's PSU vs the 1986 Iowa Hawkeyes or the 2002 Okie State Cowboys, for example? How do you think the duals would go?

Last year's PSU team with only 5 AAs would have gotten killed by most of the other great teams of years gone by. Once again, top heavy scoring saved PSU in 2013. They didn't wrestle a dual against Minnesota (who were also the dual champs) with 8 AAs, nor Oklahoma St. with 7AAs. However, PSU did wrestle eventual 4th place Iowa in State College and lost the dual. The other 3 PSU teams were really good though.

Iowa 91 v PSU 14

125 Zaputil 2nd v Mega 3rd

133 Tr Brands 2nd v Gibbion DNP

141 To Brands 1st v Zain 5th

149 Troy Stiner 2nd v English 7th

157 Terry Stiner 3rd v Alton DNP

165 Ryan 2nd v Taylor 1st

174 Reiland 1st v Brown 5th

184 Chelesvig 3rd v Ruth 1st

197 Fisher 6th v Morgan 7th

Hwt Oostendorp R12 v (forgot name) r12

I think Iowa 91 wins this....

Senior Gable pins Senior Taylor 9/10 times

Call me wacky, call me kooky, or call me crazy, but I have a wild hunch that those two would have never rassled, due to a certain thing called "weight class." ;)

With today's weigh in procedures, Gable may have had to wrestle 174.

Call me wacky, call me kooky, or call me crazy, but I have a wild hunch that those two would have never rassled, due to a certain thing called "weight class." ;)

The would never have wrestled also due to Gable being old enough to be Taylor's grandfather.

With today's weigh in procedures, Gable may have had to wrestle 174.

Granted, I'm also a lot bigger than Gable is, but I see him all of the time and if he weighs 160 walking around right now I'd be generous. I'd guess that he's closer to 150-155.

The frame just simply isn't there for anything bigger than that.

Granted, I'm also a lot bigger than Gable is, but I see him all of the time and if he weighs 160 walking around right now I'd be generous. I'd guess that he's closer to 150-155.

The frame just simply isn't there for anything bigger than that.

You forgot about improved understanding of nutrition and strength training. If you apply 60s style weight cutting and strength training to Kyle Dake, he'd be a career 133lber.

Taylor would probably weigh a lot less in the 60s than he does now.